Post by allsop » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:08 am

I just stumbled upon Danto Cart at http://www.dantocart.com/ and it looks like a spitting image of Open Cart, except maybe a few color changes.

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:41 am

it does say that on their site:
Based on OpenCart and Karzina e-commerce solutions, DantoCart offers a wide range of features and security both for the store owner and the customer who shops from your DantoCart installation.

Administrator

Post by babaloo » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:46 am

it should say in the read me.txt or else of the download script that is based on opencart or else ? GPL

"Developers that use the GNU GPL protect your rights with two steps: (1) assert copyright on the software, and (2) offer you this License giving you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify it."

sorry my english

Post by Danto » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Hello,

My name is Dan and am the owner of DantoCart.Com
I felt it an obligation to post a response to this thread in order to clarify some controversial concerns that supporters of OpenCart may have.
DantoCart was created using the framework of OpenCart and uses both OpenCart source code and snippets from Karzina. I will also state that Karzina is also developed upon OpenCart.
The idea for DantoCart was to create a professional open source shopping cart and e-commerce solution. Having looked at many Open Source codes, I found OpenCart to be of the highest standard and must congratulate Daniel on this. I felt that OpenCart, being Open Source and released under the GNU/GPL, was a perfect solution to my needs and requirements for the project.
After researching the General Public License, I learned that I was able to modify and redistribute OpenCart and Karzina under the same terms, however, with some restrictions. These restrictions being to leave any copyright found within the source code that point to the original source intact. This being OpenCart. However, none of the files contained this copyright within the source. Therefore, I did not place one there. I did, however, mention clearly on the main website that DantoCart is based on OpenCart. I feel by doing this, I have complied with the terms of the license.

As DantoCart is starting to move on in development and become successful, I feel a need for it to steer in its own direction. Therefore I will now start to differentiate it from OpenCart as much as possible. However, direct credit to OpenCart and Karzina will always be noted on the website and forums.
If Daniel feels that this is not a good thing and would like to discuss DantoCart with me directly, he may do so by emailing info@dantocart.com and I will provide him with my contact details for MSN.

I honestly feel that what I have done and am doing is perfectly legit and in no way do I intend on "Ripping Off" OpenCart or any other Open Source project.

I do hope that this clears up some doubt and that people will have a better understanding of my intentions and what DantoCart is about.

Kind regards,
Dan

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:03 am

you had to post this now after 3 months since the the last post. I think the reply back was just to get some attention to your project. As for any code changes, just looking at this thing seems to me you just changed the template.

Administrator

Post by Danto » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Hello Daniel,

I posted the above to clear some misunderstanding that people have. It appears many people will use a software without understanding the license and when they find a Forked version they immediately jump to conclusion and declare it as a "Rip-Off". I am sure you will know and agree that this is indeed false.
Regarding your assumption that I only changed the template, this is partially true. However, I have also made changes to parts of the source to better suit my needs and will continue to do so.

If you are uncomfortable with the fact that I used OpenCart for this project, then I will relay to an alternative option. However, I would also feel that this would completely go against the purposes of Open Source and GPL.
By doing this, as Karzina did, I am providing people with an alternative option, while, at the same time, promoting Open Source and OpenCart as its base and original project.

Again, if you would like to discuss these issues with me in private, please email me at info@dantocart.com so I can forward my MSN details to you.

I am in no way intentionally disrespecting you or the OpenCart project and I apologize sincerely if you feel this is the case.

Regards,
Dan

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:01 pm

Danto,

Perhaps it might be a good idea to post some your changes or ideas as contribution modules to this project, too, so others can benefit from it more easily.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member