Post by scud1096 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:46 am

Well the latest issue is with GEOZONES (i think). What im looking to do is sell withing the U.S for now (eventually worldwide) but i need to charge tax for addresses in Florida. I have my geozones set up like i think they should be but even before i go to checkout to enter my information its showing tax. ill list all my geozone and tax setups below:

Countries = did not change anything from default

Zones = did not change anything from default

GeoZones = i have 2 geozones set up
1) florida tax - Country = USA, Zone = florida
2) continental USA - Country = USA, Zone = All 48 states listed (this is for free shipping over $100 so its only for the cont. USA)

Tax Clases
1) florida tax =
*Tax rate = tax
*Based on = Shipping address

Tax rates =
Name = Tax
rate = 7%
both default and wholesale checked
Geozone = Florida Tax

Im using Version V 1.5.1.3
theme = http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... order=DESC

Post by scud1096 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I've tried changing it arount, still no luck...

Post by mberlant » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:34 am

You seem not to have enough Geo Zones set up. You need a complete set of Geo Zones for managing taxes and another complete set for managing shipping.

For taxes, your one Geo Zone should have only Florida.

For shipping, you need one Geo Zone for CONUS (48 states + DC), to handle eligibility for Free Shipping, and another Geo Zone for any destination country or territory you wish to serve (via one or more paid shipping modules, or if the order doesn't qualify for free shipping).

Your "FL Sales Tax" Tax Class will have that one Geo Zone assigned to it.

Your Free Shipping module will have the CONUS Geo Zone assigned to it.

Your paid shipping module(s) will have your "my whole world" Geo Zone. If you have more than one shipping module and each one serves a different part of the world (such as UPS for US/Canada and DHL for Europe) on your behalf, you will need to create a shipping Geo Zone tailored to your contracted footprint for that shipping company.

Please use proper English at all times, so that all members may understand you.

Post by scud1096 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:00 am

I went to:

System>Local>Taxes>Tax Classes

Then i clicked edit on the state im charging tax for (Florida) and then changed based on from shipping address to payment address. seems to look like this made everything work ok... does this seem like the proper fix for this?

Post by Rich_Mixture » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:39 am

I have had the same experience. Like you, I had to change the Tax Class to "payment address" to stop OpenCart from showing prices with tax all the time (including in the Shoppica intro banners, which did not look good at all). I'm not sure if changing the store's default address might have some bearing on this, but I don't want to do that.

I use the Category-Based Fee/Discount extension by Clear Thinking. It is important to configure that correctly, too. The sort order for the extension must be a lower (smaller) number than the tax in the order totals sequence, and the discount needs to be applied to taxable goods. I was getting some very strange numbers before arriving at the right settings, including 50% of the sales tax and sales tax based on the un-discounted price.

There have been other threads which discussed the legal niceties of the sales tax, including the basic concept of applying tax to the destination, not the source of the order, and the impropriety of charging your county's surcharge to other counties with different tax rates. At this time, it would appear that we cannot comply with these finer points.

Location - Central Florida

Post by fido-x » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:57 am

If you don't want to display prices with tax, log in to your admin and edit the settings for your store. Set "Display Prices with Tax" to "No" (under the "Option" tab).

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by one_one » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:03 pm

I have the same Issue, TAX keeps showing with price. I've already set to "NO" for DISPLAY prices with tax. Please help, most customers are running away due to this issue, I think, :(. This worked fine with 1.4.9... I set "No" for Display prices with tax before and it worked. I have two Geozones, 1 for shipping and 1 for Tax, (I've also followed these guide line http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7099).

I'm not sure what the problem is
Please help,
one_one

THE GUIDE WORKS PERFECTLY FINE, ITS MY DUMB A** :-[ THAT SCREWED UP SOMEWHERE, I RE-DID ALL THE STEPS AND NOW IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GUIDE Q.
Last edited by one_one on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Rich_Mixture » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:59 am

@fido-x - Thank you, you are quite correct.

I realized a few days after posting that this simple setting had to be changed. (Another Homer Simpson moment!) If this isn't done, then someone who decides to continue shopping after entering a payment address during checkout will be shown prices with tax throughout the store and in the shopping cart. (I suspect that a returning customer who logged back in would also have the same experience, since the store remembers their location.) Playing with the tax-class settings alone won't solve the problem, though I think it's worth being aware of that option, too.

It takes a while to figure out just how much can be done in the back-end of this platform, and what must be done with a code editor. But we (my client and I) are very happy with the end result. This forum has been a Godsend.

Location - Central Florida