Post by i2Paq » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:23 am

Daniel wrote:
i2Paq wrote:I'm holding back with 2 stores to start because I hoped that the 1.5.1.2 (now 1.5.1.3) would be a finished product.
it is a finished producted!

Do u want me to do say its finished and never add another new feature?

its an on going process of adding new new features and fixing bugs when they come up.

your holding back setting up your store because you sound like you don;t have enough experience setting them up in the first place.
I'm just waiting for the Order Edit, the Generate Invoice-number Button and other small stuff :)

If I do not know something I hire someone, so that won't hold me back ;)

The only thing I'm saying is that there should be a release that has finished features where we all can have a go at and get the bugs out (if there are any), then release that version + all the fixes as a steady release BEFORE starting to add new features.
Should be not so hard to do?

I'm just thinking from a user/customer perspective.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Daniel » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:48 am

you can not get all something 100% stable there will be always something. it could be 5 years since the last bug report and out of the blue some one will find something new.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:53 am

Daniel wrote:you can not get all something 100% stable there will be always something. it could be 5 years since the last bug report and out of the blue some one will find something new.
That is the same with (any) Windows version, in the first weeks after the first release the most common bugs are found and fixt.
If a bug is found after 5 years this means it sits in a place hardly used (if ever) and thus not interesting for the 99% of the users.

If we do the same with the version you are currently working on you would find most of the common bugs in the first 2 weeks after release. Fix them, get these fixes out, if possible as a new version.
Any bugs found after those 2 weeks should/could be fixt in the SVN.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:01 am

I think the bugfixes from the 1.5.1.1 bug reports should go into a bugfix release 1.5.1.3, and then be ported as needed to the next release which also has new features, e.g. 1.5.2. This probably requires different branches in the SVN and can mean more work for the main developers (Daniel and Q), but will really help with the adoption of Opencart by many more users who are hesitant to use a new Opencart version when it has both new features and possible newly introduced bugs.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by jomeza001 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:11 am

I second this. Every Bug Fix should be disclosed including instructions as to how to upgrade it. ie.
Go to this File:

Find this Code:

Replace with this code:
This is a Time / Resources saver don;t you think?? By doing this you get rid of 20+ people asking the same question and wasting bandwidth / Moderators Time explaining the same Q.

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:40 am

jomeza001 wrote: This is a Time / Resources saver don;t you think?? By doing this you get rid of 20+ people asking the same question and wasting bandwidth / Moderators Time explaining the same Q.
Well it depends on whose time you are talking about. It might save you time, but it's certainly not going to save Daniel any time explaining everthing he ever does with the code.
I'm sure once things settle down a bit and Q takes over maintenance you'll see this type of thing. If you look at any of the 1.4.9.x bug threads you'll see, but when bugs are coming and getting fixed as fast as they have been in 1.5 so far it's just too big of a time sink to explain every one. Honestly pretty much everything we've had so far should probably have been release candidates anyways instead of production code, though 1.5.1.1 has been fairly stable so far.

oh and about getting rid of 20 people asking the same question it wouldn't you might get rid of 2 and the other 18 wouldn't bother looking or reading, and then would just get offended when you told them to.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by cemsisman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:17 pm

jomeza001 +1

And more explanation in code and bug fix please, and what has been fixed from the previous version so that we know whether we should upgrade or not.

Post by i2Paq » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Xsecrets wrote:Well it depends on whose time you are talking about. It might save you time, but......
You are looking from a programmers point of view, that is what all programmers do. In most cases they have no clue on how to look at things from a user point of view. You know, the people who are actually using your software?

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:54 pm

i2Paq wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:Well it depends on whose time you are talking about. It might save you time, but......
You are looking from a programmers point of view, that is what all programmers do. In most cases they have no clue on how to look at things from a user point of view. You know, the people who are actually using your software?
That could easily be reversed to say that users have no clue how to look at things from a programmers view. In all actuality I do understand things from a users point of view as well, and if you are paying lots of money for something you have a right to demand that the programmer send lots of boring time doing documentation that he's not very good at anyways, or to hire someone to do it for him, but when you are getting something for free and the programmer is doing the work for free in his spare time he has every right to skip the boring tedious stuff.

Most users think it only takes as long to write documentation as it takes them to read it, but that is absolutely not the case. You can spend almost as much time writing good documentation as the programming.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by i2Paq » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 am

Nobody is asking for boring documentation, the point of this discussion is an easy way to get the fixes for bugs posted in such a way that even the most common user of OpenCart can use this to fix his bugs without having to upgrade to a new release.
Or getting the "fixt in SVN" and is unable to find the fix without having to strip-search all the files from SVN.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by jomeza001 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:35 am

i2Paq wrote:Or getting the "fixt in SVN" and is unable to find the fix without having to strip-search all the files from SVN.
Exactly what i mean. For example take a look at the phpbb forum. When there is a bug fix, regardless if you are a moderator, or a developer, as a general rule the Bug fix is always disclosed by the fixer as to what codes you need to replace. Plain simple don't you think?

You as the fixer will write the fix here only ONCE. We're talking about bug fixes. Most of the Bug fixes will require to replace one or two code lines in a couple of files. That's it. If you already Fixed a Bug, It will take from you to press Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V

The users will read the changes and will perform accordingly.

Let's not forget that All of the OC forum members are here because we get feedback/help/advice we need and never got from the previous community. That is the key of keeping/increasing the actual Users Base for any community forum.

Post by m1jd1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi Daniel,
could you please tell us when you expect to release new version of opencart with order editor and import/export tool?
Thank you very much! :)

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:31 pm

m1jd1 wrote:Hi Daniel,
could you please tell us when you expect to release new version of opencart with order editor and import/export tool?
The Export/Import tool is a separate addon maintained by me and is upgraded each time there is a new Opencart release.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by m1jd1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:42 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
m1jd1 wrote:Hi Daniel,
The Export/Import tool is a separate addon maintained by me and is upgraded each time there is a new Opencart release.
Yes, but Daniel wants to integrate (probably) his own inport export tool. He wrote:

"i'm going to add a few more features:
order editor
pdf invoices
better importer / export tool"
..."

Post by Daniel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:56 pm

fixing bugs is no.1 priority over adding new features.

only the order editor is nearly finished but its not so simple. I'm trying to integrate features like the coupon discounts, vouchers reward points into the order editor. i have thought of a way so the order editor is integrated with the front of the site but still will take a week or 2 more after the next release.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by m1jd1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Daniel wrote:fixing bugs is no.1 priority over adding new features.

only the order editor is nearly finished but its not so simple. I'm trying to integrate features like the coupon discounts, vouchers reward points into the order editor. i have thought of a way so the order editor is integrated with the front of the site but still will take a week or 2 more after the next release.
Thanks for reply. So the next release will contain only bug fixes? And then after 1-2 weeks there will be released version with new features?

Post by Daniel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm

theres 1 or 2 new features. autocomplete om the admin list pages.

new tax system.

the current tax system did not account for new laws for digtal downloads and some taxes in german for fixed amount taxes.

I think you have to pay 2 EUR for every tv you buy or something.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:27 am

Wauw, looks like the next release is even more major then we where expecting :good:

If finishing this all will need another 2 weeks I'm sure we can hold back our enthusiasm to start using it for a while ;)

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Wussie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:02 am

i2Paq wrote:Nobody is asking for boring documentation, the point of this discussion is an easy way to get the fixes for bugs posted in such a way that even the most common user of OpenCart can use this to fix his bugs without having to upgrade to a new release.
One quick and easy way to help users apply bugfixes without fully upgrading to a new release would be releasing by the code maintainers of a package containing just the updated files, the ones that are different from the previous version. This way the bugfix operation for the average user would consist in simply replacing a few files with the updated files from the new version.
Or if that is too much trouble, maybe at least mention in the changelog a complete list of the updated files and then leave it to the users to pick and replace those few files. How about that?

Post by celestial » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:20 am

Wussie wrote:
i2Paq wrote:Nobody is asking for boring documentation, the point of this discussion is an easy way to get the fixes for bugs posted in such a way that even the most common user of OpenCart can use this to fix his bugs without having to upgrade to a new release.
One quick and easy way to help users apply bugfixes without fully upgrading to a new release would be releasing by the code maintainers of a package containing just the updated files, the ones that are different from the previous version. This way the bugfix operation for the average user would consist in simply replacing a few files with the updated files from the new version.
Or if that is too much trouble, maybe at least mention in the changelog a complete list of the updated files and then leave it to the users to pick and replace those few files. How about that?
Download the last version and compare with your actual version. That is simple.

Celestial - Martín Abel Rosales
WhatsApp: 50671482211
Email: martinrosales2012@hotmail.com
San José , Costa Rica

Expert Member

Location - Costa Rica