Post by Daniel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:27 pm

I was thinking of redesigning the admin for OpenCart. Currently It is very restrictive of where buttons can be placed. If I wanted to add an XML export button on some of the pages there is not nowhere really for them to go.
Last edited by Daniel on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by vanderwijk » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:16 am

Sorry to be interfering, but please don't change too much on the interface. I really like it, it is nice and simple. Besides, I think there may be some other things that still need to be done such as automatic SEF url's for products ;)

Have you seen Magenta yet? Looks flashy but for my purposes it is way to complex. I think Opencart is great and I hope some good enthusiastic developers will join you soon to make this the best all shopping cart available!

Find out how to backup your computer files!

Post by nde » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:01 am

I think the admin could use an overhaul.

E.g. when you add a product it would be nice to have an img upload right there. You still could leave the option list for those who wanna choose from the images already uploaded.
Also, the admin isn't intuitive sometimes. To do stuff you must go up and down. The 'save' button should always be at the bottom.

Generally, WordPress has the best admin I've seen yet. There's no flyout/popup menu used but a second line under the tab with all the available options for the section.
In Opencart it would be better to make the selected section sticky with a tab (I mean admin, catalog, extensions etc) and then display a second line under it so it looks like the example below. This would be much quicker to catch and removes one step in the navigation metaphor: moving the mouse over the menu, wait for the popup, then select the option).

edit: this could be done with the different style of the tab menu so it's even quicker.

Code: Select all

_________
     Admin   | Catalog |   Extensions     Customers     Reports
   ----------           ------------------------------------------------------------
     Category  Product  Option  Manufacturer  Image  Download  Review  Information
   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by nde on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

nde

Post by OneBadFlower » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:51 am

hey if you are thinking of touching the admin section, what would it take to be able to upload photos from the add product section?  This tool is great but from a user experience point of view it's a little awkward to have to go upload photo and then go add product in a different section.
it seems to me, who has very little understanding of this tool, that it shouldn't be too bad to create another tab for images and possibly then have a checkbox to select default image.  you'd need the checkbox since the tool offers multiple photos for one product.

just a thought

Post by Daniel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:53 pm

OneBadFlower wrote: hey if you are thinking of touching the admin section, what would it take to be able to upload photos from the add product section?  This tool is great but from a user experience point of view it's a little awkward to have to go upload photo and then go add product in a different section.
it seems to me, who has very little understanding of this tool, that it shouldn't be too bad to create another tab for images and possibly then have a checkbox to select default image.  you'd need the checkbox since the tool offers multiple photos for one product.

just a thought
I'm going to add this feature aswell!

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by azzzy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:12 pm

One minor tweak. When you insert products, can you make the "Insert" button disabled?
Often I press it again instead "Save", and the entered info goes down the drain.
A thumbnail preview for the images will be handy when selecting an image for product. Just a scrolling div with overflow: hidden, and with all the thumbnails inside.

Post by d77 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:42 pm

another minor tweak. which is actually going to be quite major for me once i hand off product administration to a user.

need a delete confirmation dialog box on anything that can be deleted from a list.

;D  8)

d77

Post by Daniel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:11 am

d77 wrote: another minor tweak. which is actually going to be quite major for me once i hand off product administration to a user.

need a delete confirmation dialog box on anything that can be deleted from a list.

;D  8)
Deletes going to checkboxes and then one main delete button that asks to confirm and is only visable on the list page.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by d77 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:31 am

excellent, thanks daniel.

d77

Post by Daniel » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:42 am

nde wrote: I think the admin could use an overhaul.

E.g. when you add a product it would be nice to have an img upload right there. You still could leave the option list for those who wanna choose from the images already uploaded.
Also, the admin isn't intuitive sometimes. To do stuff you must go up and down. The 'save' button should always be at the bottom.

Generally, WordPress has the best admin I've seen yet. There's no flyout/popup menu used but a second line under the tab with all the available options for the section.
In Opencart it would be better to make the selected section sticky with a tab (I mean admin, catalog, extensions etc) and then display a second line under it so it looks like the example below. This would be much quicker to catch and removes one step in the navigation metaphor: moving the mouse over the menu, wait for the popup, then select the option).

edit: this could be done with the different style of the tab menu so it's even quicker.

Code: Select all

_________
     Admin   | Catalog |   Extensions     Customers     Reports
   ----------           ------------------------------------------------------------
     Category  Product  Option  Manufacturer  Image  Download  Review  Information
   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not convinced your idea is the best way to go. There maybe more than one sub category. I just can't see how to fit it all on to two lines.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by nde » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:51 pm

But currently the only menu with more than one sub-category are 'Users' and 'Localisation' under 'Admin > Configuration'.

My idea is just to make all subcategories always visible in the second line so they are quicker to catch. This makes it easier to use. I think you don't need the 6 big icons on the top as well (List, Insert, Update etc. wherer everyone says they look like Joomla), since most of the edit options are in the row on the right.

Also, since there are lots of things to edit under 'Localisation' you could make it an extra menu. Leaving the technical Settings, URL Alias etc to the admin and separate the Localisation since it has more to do with the content. I photoshopped my idea.

Attachments

???
admin_edit.gif

nde

Post by d77 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:20 pm

unrelated to the admin design, i hit this when laying out a draft of the admin documentation. ended up pulling "users" and "localization" out into their own area just to keep the document structure in tact :)

fyi, i am not going to go too far with this part of it with a new design coming :)

d77

Post by Daniel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:22 am

nde wrote: But currently the only menu with more than one sub-category are 'Users' and 'Localisation' under 'Admin > Configuration'.

My idea is just to make all subcategories always visible in the second line so they are quicker to catch. This makes it easier to use. I think you don't need the 6 big icons on the top as well (List, Insert, Update etc. wherer everyone says they look like Joomla), since most of the edit options are in the row on the right.

Also, since there are lots of things to edit under 'Localisation' you could make it an extra menu. Leaving the technical Settings, URL Alias etc to the admin and separate the Localisation since it has more to do with the content. I photoshopped my idea.
Intreasting new template design. I have been doing a bit more redeisgning myself and getting really close for a 1st class new admin system. Forget the mockup i did before this ones even better.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by nde » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:06 am

Most parts of the admin is really good, like the welcome page with statistics and orders etc. That's all well designed.

It's just that some parts could need more usability. Like some tables: I think that some could use an extra row to show the current setting. E.g. under 'Extensions' it would be useful to show if the modules, shipping etc. are disabled / enabled.

I have some ideas written down when I played with the cart and did a setup, about 15 things. I make sure to post them under 1.0 feature request thread soon. They're mostly about usability issues though. Small things like the checkout button, you use the onclick javascript. But of course it would be better if the whole thing works without javascript.

nde

Post by d77 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:15 am

a bit offtopic, but a big step in terms of usability/accessibility of the catalog would be XHTML compliance. i started another thread on this awhile back but didn't hear any feedback. i have alot of experience with XHTML if you ever decide to make the catalog XHTML compliant.

d77

Post by Daniel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:38 am

nde wrote: But currently the only menu with more than one sub-category are 'Users' and 'Localisation' under 'Admin > Configuration'.

I have decided to implement the sub categories the way you suggested. I should be able to release to mockup of the new design tonight and there is a remote chance I can he coded this weekend.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:41 am

d77 wrote: a bit offtopic, but a big step in terms of usability/accessibility of the catalog would be XHTML compliance. i started another thread on this awhile back but didn't hear any feedback. i have alot of experience with XHTML if you ever decide to make the catalog XHTML compliant.
I will do it XHTML compliant thbe only problem is the URLS using ' & ' &amps;. It means I need to change all URLs to using '/'.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by d77 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:53 am

yeah, those &'s are a big change. also the way css tags are referenced in the body is one of the larger issues.

d77

Post by Daniel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:19 am

I have done a mockup of the product page.

What do you think? better than my last?

Attachments

???
new admin 1.jpg
Last edited by Daniel on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by nde » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:51 pm

Yeah that's good. I have a few more ideas for the admin UI. I'll do another Photoshop mockup later this night and upload it here. I've already done a fancy tab-menu and more.

nde