Post by WebDev22 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:16 pm

We have product names with varied lengths causing the "Add To Cart" button to appear at different heights in the features section. Any thoughts on the best way to align these?

Post by MeanGuns » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:34 am

I have been playing with opencart 1.5.0 what I will say the diffrence between the 1.4.9.5 and 1.5.0 that I found is the 1.5.0 version is less user friendy. I looked at it from a users point of view and the way it's set up. I like 1.4.9.5 a lot better so do the people who visit my site. 1.5.0 the lay out is the problem I am sure with time it will change just as all the other versions of opencart did in the past but for now I'm going to stick with 1.4.9.5 for the time being. The checkout is small and is located at the top of the screen so is the shopping cart. People who are using your product don't have the pacience to be playing around they want to buy somthing that's all! They hate to be looking for options or where they need to check out. It's my opinion and change comes hard to some and 1.5.0 would be great for a starter cart but the way it was set up before, the simplicity, the ease of use and the layout was simply much better and that's what the customer wants ease of use.

Meqanguns

Post by 12oclocker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I understand what MeanGuns is saying, I ship hundreds of packages a month, it takes a long time to process orders through open cart. It seems to be designed for a very light user, someone who ships maybe a few packages a day. For a heavy user it becomes pretty time consuming, clicking around all the time really add's up, for example, the ability to bulk update all your orders to a shipped status would be a huge time saver, it would save hours depending on how many items you have to ship (more details here: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=35584) It is nice to have a open source cart solution available, I really wish their was a way for heavy users to get more input to the developers. Because honestly that's who you want to make a shopping cart system appeal to. It seems strange the new opencart has such features as 'affiliate program', but their are no options to track your purchasing cost (our cost of an item) vs selling cost (customers cost of an item), no advanced sale statistics, no profit margin stat's, or anything like that. From a business perspective (which let's face it, if you have a cart you are running a business of some kind) these things all extremely important, and seem like basic stuff, which should be very easy to track and show charts for.

Post by WebDev22 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:21 pm

Those last two posts are great feedback. I've built a couple of stores using 1.5 and liked what I have seen so far. From a usability perspective, I like the new version better. However, both stores are in startup mode, so they haven't really been thoroughly tested on a large scale.

Post by magicsavings » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Can you please help me to upgrade the newest version of opencart I try but did not work for me says error 1054 and right now I have the 1.4.9.2 and the uspsdont work and neither the taxes .

Post by WebDev22 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 pm

magicsavings wrote:Can you please help me to upgrade the newest version of opencart I try but did not work for me says error 1054 and right now I have the 1.4.9.2 and the uspsdont work and neither the taxes .
This has to be done manually until a script is developed.

Post by Daniel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:36 pm

12oclocker wrote:I understand what MeanGuns is saying, I ship hundreds of packages a month, it takes a long time to process orders through open cart. It seems to be designed for a very light user, someone who ships maybe a few packages a day. For a heavy user it becomes pretty time consuming, clicking around all the time really add's up, for example, the ability to bulk update all your orders to a shipped status would be a huge time saver, it would save hours depending on how many items you have to ship (more details here: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=35584) It is nice to have a open source cart solution available, I really wish their was a way for heavy users to get more input to the developers. Because honestly that's who you want to make a shopping cart system appeal to. It seems strange the new opencart has such features as 'affiliate program', but their are no options to track your purchasing cost (our cost of an item) vs selling cost (customers cost of an item), no advanced sale statistics, no profit margin stat's, or anything like that. From a business perspective (which let's face it, if you have a cart you are running a business of some kind) these things all extremely important, and seem like basic stuff, which should be very easy to track and show charts for.

opencart may cover 99% of your needs but it can not possibly cover all needs for everbody. that is why you need to hirer coders to cover the stuff thats missing.

I have said this on the forums before.

when i was at college we were taught there are 3 types of software.

1. off the shelf
2. custom build
3. off the shelf and customise.

off the shelf will not cover all the things people need.

custom build would cost a fortune.

off the shelf and customise should cover what everybody needs at a low price.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by dony_b » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:46 pm

100% agreed Open Cart is the most easy to use and customizable shopping cart thats out there. I have basic programing knowledge and Im able to do exactly what I want at times just by searching the forum for answers. Especially the v1.5 gives you the choice to pick the design template.

Location - Boston, MA

Post by 12oclocker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:31 am

opencart may cover 99% of your needs but it can not possibly cover all needs for everbody. that is why you need to hirer coders to cover the stuff thats missing.

I have siad this on the forums before.

when i was at college we were taught there are 3 types of software.

1. off the shelf
2. custom build
3. off the shelf and customise.

off the shelf will not cover all the things people need.

custom build would cost a fortune.

off the shelf and customise should cover what everybody needs at a low price.
I agree with all of that, I was just wanting to voice some suggestions which I think would be beneficial to everyone if they were already a default feature, I will be adding those features to my install of course. I just wanted to share my thoughts, sorry if it came off in the wrong tone, I also want to see OpenCart succeeded in being the best cart out there! Some kind of tracking number integration into opencart I think would be a good feature, even if my idea for the implementation may not be liked, the idea itself for tracking integration I think is very worthwhile. I think you and Q have both done great on OpenCart. I only suggest these things because I want to help the success of OpenCart.

Post by turantekin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi Guys

Just a quick question about version numbers. My hosting company says they are installing v1.5.0.5 but when i look to admin panel botton i see just v1.5.0. Is there any way to check which version i have?

And also if i have v1.5.0 how i can upgrade to v1.5.0.5

Thank you very much for your time.

Kind Regards

I Love Open Cart : )
http://www.stabilitees.com

Post by WebDev22 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:04 pm

I spoke with our hosting company and they're not quite ready to offer it yet. However, it's very easy to install manually. It literally took me 10-15 minutes.

Post by Daniel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:34 pm

yes i should update the bug fix versions aswell.

i'm thinking of eventually having an automatic upgrade system. maybe using vqmod.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by dony_b » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:53 am

Whats the best way to disable add to cart ajax so it goes to shopping cart instead of checkout ?

Location - Boston, MA

Post by WebDev22 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:10 am

dony_b wrote:Whats the best way to disable add to cart ajax so it goes to shopping cart instead of checkout ?
That's such a cool feature. I'm sure there's a valid reason, but I'm curious as to why you'd want it disabled.

Post by dony_b » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:10 am

People are so used to adding products to cart thatway so changing it will just confuse them. I like it too but it doesn't fit in for some stores products. I hope Daniel makes this optional like he had it in the previous version.

Location - Boston, MA

Post by tyjthomas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:01 am

Daniel wrote:i'm thinking of eventually having an automatic upgrade system. maybe using vqmod.
Wow - that would sure be awesome, and make upgrades that much easier. I wish vqmod was a requirement for all the extensions.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:09 am

Daniel wrote:i'm thinking of eventually having an automatic upgrade system. maybe using vqmod.
That would be fantastic!

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Froglet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:04 am

Hi,

I have just upgraded from version 1.4.9.5 to version 1.5.0.5 with the successful No options upgrade however I have the following error message in my dashboard:

Warning: fopen(/home/mysite/public_html/shop/download/test) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mysite/public_html/admin/controller/common/home.php on line 99Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mysite/public_html/admin/controller/common/home.php on line 103Warning: sprintf() [function.sprintf]: Too few arguments in /home/mysite/public_html/admin/controller/common/home.php on line 106

Does not seem to affect the shop however being a newbie it is annoying in the dashboard and not sure how to correct it ?

Can anybody help?

Thanks Sam

Post by magicsavings » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 am

Can you please tell me how to upgrade a version 1.4.9.2 to the newest

Post by Daniel » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Froglet wrote:Hi,

I have just upgraded from version 1.4.9.5 to version 1.5.0.5 with the successful No options upgrade however I have the following error message in my dashboard:

Warning: fopen(/home/mysite/public_html/shop/download/test) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/mysite/public_html/admin/controller/common/home.php on line 99Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/mysite/public_html/admin/controller/common/home.php on line 103Warning: sprintf() [function.sprintf]: Too few arguments in /home/mysite/public_html/admin/controller/common/home.php on line 106

Does not seem to affect the shop however being a newbie it is annoying in the dashboard and not sure how to correct it ?

Can anybody help?

Thanks Sam

redo your permissions.

OpenCart®

Administrator