Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:03 am

1.5.x should be a lot better at handling large amounts of products.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by sguven » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:53 am

i can give database information .still very slow site http://www.pintiyiz.com/Bilgisayar opens in 7 seconds

problem may be pages or sql queries . mysql server is fast I have tried

What would you recommend?

Post by sguven » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:43 am

problem is solved :DDDD helped my friend thanks
If you are having a problem (poor performance) please contact with me .
test
before http://pintiyiz.com/Bilgisayar opens in 11 second
after http://pintiyiz.com/Bilgisayar please click and see :D

Turks developers

Post by onlinephilately » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi, so what was the fix? I can't see any products though on the page.

Post by Daniel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:00 am

you removed the product count from the categories.

might be better if its cached.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by onlinephilately » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:05 am

Daniel, thank you for joining this discussion.

How can we do in order to cache the categories so that they are not loaded on each page load?

If this would be a fix to speed up the load it would be very much appreciated...

Post by Xsecrets » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 pm

I don't even think he removed the product count from what I can tell he simply removed all products from the categories, but it's hard to say what he did with certainty since he won't tell us.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by naugtur » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi.

I'm new here, but I've been using some of your suggestions. Now I want to share back.

I'm in a team that is building a customized solution on opencart and our client declared some requirements that led to us having to handle about 10000 categories.

With this many categories OpenCart 1.5.something simply died.

Tips found here let us make it work with the front-end (removing categories from search - cool) but still slow.

Now to the news:

1. Remove categoryLayout functionality from the code. Nobody uses it with lots of categories, I bet you don't need it. Nice performance gain in frontend guaranteed.

2. Make admin categiries page have pagination (or imagine waiting for thousands of cache files to be created :) )

3. reduce recursion in getCategories and getAllCategories.
3.1 getAllCategories does not need to call getCategories at all.
3.2 getPath sucks :)
It's much better to create a path field in the database and update it on every category edit.

Having done that and some little tricks we got OpenCart to work with normal speeds all the time except the one case - category name change. (it takes as long as it takes to run update queries for all the children of the changed category)

Post by rph » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:27 pm

naugtur wrote:Having done that and some little tricks we got OpenCart to work with normal speeds all the time except the one case - category name change. (it takes as long as it takes to run update queries for all the children of the changed category)
It doesn't do any update queries on children. The delay comes from deleting then regenerating the cache files. You're deleting then creating 10000 x number of languages category cache files.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:17 am

rph wrote:
naugtur wrote:Having done that and some little tricks we got OpenCart to work with normal speeds all the time except the one case - category name change. (it takes as long as it takes to run update queries for all the children of the changed category)
It doesn't do any update queries on children. The delay comes from deleting then regenerating the cache files. You're deleting then creating 10000 x number of languages category cache files.
I think you missed the point he has changed the way it normally works, so in his case it does update all the children, because he's keeping track of his path in the database which is not default functionality.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by rph » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:20 am

You're right. I'm not sure what advantage that would have over something like a targeted deletion of parent category cache files.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by naugtur » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:21 pm

It has one big advantage - to display all the categories with the category name containing all the parents with the arrows, you don't have to make
n*P_n extra queries to the database, where n is the number of all categories and P_n is the sum of number of parents of all categories.
Which is obviously a bit slower that doing a single select query.

I'm a big fan of recursion, but that's because I'm lazy. It's not good to use recursion in methods accessing external resources (like DB calls)

Post by MySweetf » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:46 am

To attempt to decrease database size, I did hard-code many of the alike product descriptions into the product.tpl file, using IF / ELSE statements depending on the product name. Also, I have redefined how the downloads work upon purchase, so that redundant system processes are limited and only one image...

Post by labeshops » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:45 am

I will eventually have over 100k products spread over my 30+ stores though so far, only have about 600 added. I'm adding each one manually an naturally it takes time. I'm running v 1.5.1.2 so if anyone has experience with that many products in that version (and any tweaks you had to do), I'd love to know.

My biggest issue so far have been multistores getting themselves mixed up - home links to the wrong store, and other issues. Hopefully will not have problems as I continue adding categories and products, but I'll let you know as I keep adding items in. Should have them all done by the end of the year.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by rph » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:06 am

Getting 100k products into your store by the end of the year would require adding 1300+ per day. :o

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by chris17453 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 am

My store has 30k categories, 10k products, 14k attributes. Most of the cats are year,make,model,engine look-ups. Many Products live under many categories. Because one part fits many vehicles.

I had to rewrite the category pull to kill children counts. That gave me a ton of speed, which is to say... its tolerable. Still slow ish, 2 second page loads. I indexed a lot of the tables that helped quite a bit. I'm on dedicated servers. dual xeon dual core 3.6 gig servers with 4 gigs of ram and 10k scssi drives, 1 dedicated to MSQL, the other to OpenCart.

I'd say the #1 issue i have with the system is the queries. But other than that it's pretty darn good right out the box, and easy to hack into.

-C

Post by lvcoded » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:40 am

Hi guys. We have hit the category problem with opencart 1.5.0.
We have around 500 categories and the site is unusable if category module is used.
Is there a way of caching categories in opencart 1.5 for categories module?

We also need this for a plugin called Layered Navigation, but it should be a similar process I guess..

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:50 am

lvcoded wrote:Hi guys. We have hit the category problem with opencart 1.5.0.
We have around 500 categories and the site is unusable if category module is used.
Is there a way of caching categories in opencart 1.5 for categories module?

We also need this for a plugin called Layered Navigation, but it should be a similar process I guess..
are you seeing a slowdown using the layered navigation mod in 1.5 alone without the category module? The queries in the 1.5 version are pretty highly optimized.

The first thing I would do is to search for the mod that removes the product counts from categories. This mod will not affect layered navigation as it uses it's own queries for the counts. Once you have removed the built in product counts let me know if you still experience slow downs, and make sure to disable layered navigation and see if things speed up to make sure the slowdown is in that mod.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by lvcoded » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:51 am

Hi,

Well we are working with thousands of products and hundreds of categories, plus we are not using a standard version of layered nav mod. We have 4-5 different categories + user reviews.. load speed was about 18sec on a dedicated server :D Anyways, we implemented caching for layered nav mod and its now working fone, except that there are two many variations to cache because of the product count thing. We are removing it to improve speed and make caching useful.

Regards,
lv