Post by collector » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:19 am

My "myBB" forum script has URL's that read: forum.com/lets-talk-about-opencart-ecommerce-script.html

I don't see this type of URL in OC. Any thoughts on OC being SEF?

Post by nde » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Of course OC is search engine friendly. It's been discussed before, search the forum.

Don't hate me but SEO is mostly a buzzword to throw around. Google doesn't care too much about URLs (except the domain name of course). The most important place for keywords to appear is the title tag of the page. Body text and headers (h1, h2, h3 ...) are supposedly more important too.

I think there's a few benefits in having human readable URLs though:
- they appear highlighted/bold in the search results
- they are easier to read for users (say if you run a print ad with URLs to products in your shop)

nde

Post by collector » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:09 am

nde wrote: I think there's a few benefits in having human readable URLs though:
- they appear highlighted/bold in the search results
- they are easier to read for users (say if you run a print ad with URLs to products in your shop)
Or, if you are advertising a certain product in a forum or on a site such as craigslist.

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:24 am

I have done SEO for a long time and found you get better results with good content over having URL's set in a certain way.

There are many things to consider such as keyword density, image tags etc..

H1 tags being the first tag on the page also give good results.

I worked for a company years ago which had 80 web sites. They managed to take the first 10 results for keywords just by using unique content on each site.

I did 15 web sites using oscommerce and changed it to be more SEO. Each site mangaged to make over £25k in the first month.

Same with a motor bike web site I made for myself. I ordered 3 containers from China of bikes and sold them all within a month. My site managed to get to 1st position even though the domain name was not related to what I was selling.

Administrator

Post by collector » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:34 am

Wow! That is impressive Daniel. Guess the URL isn't all that important then. I downloaded and installed the Meta tag plugin for OC. Guess that will help more then the URL then.

Post by Daniel » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:48 pm

I might add the meta tags they are useful again.

Administrator