Post by RitchieTheBrit » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Jin wrote:I understand your concern since I also have the same problem. This is normal if you understand your customer compared to some people here who only know how to develop program and period. They will only praise Daniel all the time. I do not understand how the OpenCart team set their development road map or I guess there is no road map.
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=feature/roadmap

Hahahaha, I;ve just integrated my own JQuery slideshow into my template! Doh!

Anyway, looks great so far. Can't wait to really get to grips with it Daniel, great work! For the record, I'm a designer with a little PHP knowledge, as well as having administered quite a few shops on different platforms for people. Managing an online shop is ALL ABOUT learning the software. Unfortunately, some clients are really unwilling to learn new things, I've found that. Either stick with the older OC, or offer them a one-to-one session. You can't handle a sports car if you haven't passed your test ;D

OC is a free, open-source solution, so if they want the streamlining of a commercial platform, they have to pay, which a lot of clients are unwilling to do when they see the price! They either have to put the effort in, hire someone savvy enough to do it, or pay the high price of a supposedly-slicker platform. I've used the odd commercial platform, and I find OC to be quite easy to administer. Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work. I reckon a beer in the sun is in order though!

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Jin wrote: I understand your concern since I also have the same problem. This is normal if you understand your customer compared to some people here who only know how to develop program and period. They will only praise Daniel all the time. I do not understand how the OpenCart team set their development road map or I guess there is no road map.
As I stated before all the more confusing stuff only has to do with initial setup so your customer should never even have to look at it if he doesn't want to since presumably you actually did something for the money they paid you and all the initial setup stuff is done.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by QNAP » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:39 am

Maybe Daniel can set the Default view as GRID instead of LIST ?

Post by opencart-templates » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:42 am

audiomarket wrote:This current version 1.5.0. OpenCart is complicated!!
There are some things are not very clear.

Layout system, module manager, slideshow end banner show are not easy to administer!!

and must practice a lot

The version 1.4.... much more intuitive!
Many of my customers prefer 1.4 ....! They say it's even easier to use for the first time.

Good work and regards.
I totally disagree how can you expect opencart to add new features without becoming slightly more complicated. I do agree that there needs to be more tooltip style information guiding the admin.

The layout system is more useful for a developer customising the default theme then an admin user adding products.

Advanced Professional Email Template
Customers Pre-Sale. Inc abandoned cart email
Order Follow-Up Email. Inc request review
Email Validation with ZeroBounce

Location - UK

Post by asphole » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:06 pm

audiomarket wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:Honestly how often do the customers actually do anything with modules and layout? That is done once when you first setup the store and then doesn't need to be touched again, and pretty much everything else to do with categories/products/orders/customers is all the same. I think the addition of complexity is well worth it for the flexibility it adds particularly since the complexity was pretty much only added to one time initial setup items, and you can stick to the defaults at that if you don't want to mess with it.
I agree with you but with 1.5.0 no longer enough 2 hours to install and configure and test everything: it takes 5 hours, 6 hours.

Customers are concerned that much assistance is needed in the future!
Wow a whole 5 hours to set up a website for a client paying how much?? Seriously, if its taking a couple of hrs longer then charge your customers a bit more!?

You have to remember that this has just been released and i'm sure more tool-tips and user guides will be added in due course. I personally wouldn't release an RC version to my customers for approval. I would wait until I had a fully working demo and more importantly I fully understood the software. 1.5 blows 1.4 away and if its too difficult for your customers to understand you should get them to have a look round the admin of a few other packages!

I think Daniel has done a great job with this version and i'm sure Q will implement a few more features that makes it even better but I wont dream of moving any live client sites until it is 100% stable and I can talk my clients through any new features.

The new features will become easier to understand and setup times will drop so stick with it as there isn't a better option available IMO.

Post by asphole » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:08 pm

QNAP wrote:
Just wanted to note a bug in the top banner.

If you add more than one, all appears fine. Then if you click through to the next one, it goes funny. See here:

http://www.templatesbyeshopalot.com/ope ... ommon/home

Click the next button or the circles to see the error.

Cheers, Jennifer
Seems to work well. It is possible to set the time for the slideshow feature? I mean the time when the slideshow will be activated, in Jennifers example way to fast IMO.
Yes I agree here, the slideshow is a little fast for my liking so an admin option to set the duration/speed of each image/transition would be great.

Post by QNAP » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:08 pm

Yes I agree here, the slideshow is a little fast for my liking so an admin option to set the duration/speed of each image/transition would be great.
+1, Right, that's exactly my point. There should be an Option under Admin/Slideshow were you are able to set the duration/speed of each image/transition. Another feature that someone has already pointed out:
the banner system is amazing !!! It's a complete banner manager the only thing I wish you put there is the ability to run different banner for different locations with auto run mode, so you specify a date that a banner needs to be up for each category and it will run them by the admin's specified time & date .

Post by Jin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:54 pm

RitchieTheBrit wrote:
Jin wrote:I understand your concern since I also have the same problem. This is normal if you understand your customer compared to some people here who only know how to develop program and period. They will only praise Daniel all the time. I do not understand how the OpenCart team set their development road map or I guess there is no road map.
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=feature/roadmap

Hahahaha, I;ve just integrated my own JQuery slideshow into my template! Doh!

Anyway, looks great so far. Can't wait to really get to grips with it Daniel, great work! For the record, I'm a designer with a little PHP knowledge, as well as having administered quite a few shops on different platforms for people. Managing an online shop is ALL ABOUT learning the software. Unfortunately, some clients are really unwilling to learn new things, I've found that. Either stick with the older OC, or offer them a one-to-one session. You can't handle a sports car if you haven't passed your test ;D

OC is a free, open-source solution, so if they want the streamlining of a commercial platform, they have to pay, which a lot of clients are unwilling to do when they see the price! They either have to put the effort in, hire someone savvy enough to do it, or pay the high price of a supposedly-slicker platform. I've used the odd commercial platform, and I find OC to be quite easy to administer. Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work. I reckon a beer in the sun is in order though!
Xsecrets wrote:
Jin wrote: I understand your concern since I also have the same problem. This is normal if you understand your customer compared to some people here who only know how to develop program and period. They will only praise Daniel all the time. I do not understand how the OpenCart team set their development road map or I guess there is no road map.
As I stated before all the more confusing stuff only has to do with initial setup so your customer should never even have to look at it if he doesn't want to since presumably you actually did something for the money they paid you and all the initial setup stuff is done.

Obviously, a lot of you do not understand the business concern or repercussion of this update.
SOME web hosting provider are COMPLETELY PARANOID when their client do not upgrade the script.

Auto-installer like Softaculous will automatically prompt the end-user to update the script and not all customers in the web hosting world is using a VPS or Dedicated to retain the 1.4.9.5. A lot of these customers are on a shared environment. Obviously, most of you here keep reiterating that this script is free / open-source - Yes that's true and completely acknowledge but it doesn't mean that the team involve on this project should not consider this matter. There's no problem about paying the commercial version of this script if that is available. However, if this is how Opencart update or improve their project then obviously there's a problem in planning or brainstorming.

Jin

Post by Daniel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:19 am

there is no need to upgrade but if your willing to wait the upgrade script will come. there are a lot of db changes and testing to do. not to mention all the bugs i'm having to fix.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:23 am

Jin wrote: Auto-installer like Softaculous will automatically prompt the end-user to update the script and not all customers in the web hosting world is using a VPS or Dedicated to retain the 1.4.9.5. A lot of these customers are on a shared environment.
this was a mistake by Softalicous and they have admitted as much. OpenCart has no control over what Softalicious does. I think the whole thing is pretty much crap because they should at the very least have warnings that if you have modified anything an upgrade will break your site. And I'm not just talking about opencart here. Every script I've ever seen if you customize much at all it will break on upgrade tout wordpress magento joomal etc all you want they all break on upgrade when you have modified them.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Rhoa » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:51 am

Sooo,

I was about 3 days away from launching my store with 1.4.9, and then... I notice 1.5 comes out and it ROCKS!!!

Almost all the features I wanted on 1.4.9 are on 1.5, that means it's back to the drawing board. I decided to make a user and post about this update and perhaps get involved more.

I have some issues with 1.5 though that I wish could get repaired.
  • 1. The "Welcome" module says "Welcome to your store" when it's enabled (Should be editable on the module)
    2. Categories showing Number of Categories within it and products (0), (1), etc.
    3. Going through categories goes through "Refined Search" unlike a grid view for categories like 1.4.9
    4. Due to the above, going through categories is a lot less intuitive, 3rd lv categories hard to navigate
    5. Would love to have an export/inport via excel tool added to default install

Post by i2Paq » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Daniel just released 1.5.0.2.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by QNAP » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Have anyone experienced problems with VAT issue ?

Have made ​​some Currency changes to the Cart and at first prices were presented in correct way incl.VAT but so then after a while something happened and prices were displayed only without VAT

Noticed that if you are logged in as a customer the prices are displayed prices incl.VAT BUT as soon as you log out so are prices presented ONLY without VAT ?? What could cause this type of cart behavior?

Settings/Option Display Prices With Tax: Yes

Default Currency is set to 1.00000000

Tax Class: Taxable Goods

Another question, why can´t you choose to present prices incl.VAT ( without showing the price excl.VAT ) ?
All do not sell to companies and then there is no reason to show to the customer the price EXCL. VAT

Post by Daniel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:40 pm

QNAP wrote:Have anyone experienced problems with VAT issue ?

Have made ​​some Currency changes to the Cart and at first prices were presented in correct way incl.VAT but so then after a while something happened and prices were displayed only without VAT

Noticed that if you are logged in as a customer the prices are displayed prices incl.VAT BUT as soon as you log out so are prices presented ONLY without VAT ?? What could cause this type of cart behavior?

Settings/Option Display Prices With Tax: Yes

Default Currency is set to 1.00000000

Tax Class: Taxable Goods

Another question, why can´t you choose to present prices incl.VAT ( without showing the price excl.VAT ) ?
All do not sell to companies and then there is no reason to show to the customer the price EXCL. VAT

you need to set your tax zones to include your store location. of course its not going to show taxes if you have not set them up in the correct location.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by eline » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Gentelmens!

Don't argue about more hours/time spend on 1.5 than 1.4, you have choice :P Its silly to have this type of argumentation to developers. If you as James Bond need more power, always is few extra buttons to push.

For clients and learning curve - don't give them whole shop at once ! Hide most of functions, give them access only to this what they need and prepare for. Start from products and categories, than pages, etc ...

We are getting FREE software better than many other for hard cash. Its open source and great done. Daniel should get Nobel Dev award for it. This is something great if you look at this from user point view. You receiving product, support and lifetime upgrade for free. I love Internet, sharing knowledge and guys like Daniel who spend their time and affords to not only get money from job but also make few of us happy ;)

Thanks a lot and dont get so many rows in error log ;)

Polskie forum OpenCart: http://forum.opencart.com/viewforum.php?f=164

Post by keether » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 am

Daniel wrote:
asdfowkw wrote:Heya!

Is there anyway to turn off the reward point system totally ?

=)

just don't set any points for the products and remove the reward points from the extensions > totals.
I don't see a "reward points" in extensions or modules. Can you clarify extension> totals ?

Thanks

Post by eline » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:47 am

Post by QNAP » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:13 am

Daniel
you need to set your tax zones to include your store location. of course its not going to show taxes if you have not set them up in the correct location.
OK, thank you! I saw it earlier today. Another question remains: why can´t you choose to present prices incl.VAT, without showing the price excl.VAT ? All do not sell to companies and then there is no reason to show to the customer the price excl.VAT

Have discovered another bug or oversight, depends on how you define it.
If you use Options in addition with Products, pricing associated with these options do not show up as separate line on the invoice or the order-confirmation. Thus, the costumer has no idea what each thing costs him because its not specified. What you see is a total amount. This solution is not recommended, from accounting standpoint and invoice practice. Keep in mind that many cart owners equate order confirmation with a receipt/warranty
Last edited by QNAP on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by eline » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:25 am

@QNAP -
If I get your question correct, you want to have only prices included VAT.
If You need price with VAT only, just comment one line in You template and don't display price without tax or use css hidden (depend on template).
Try add to css style sheet on end:
.price span{
visibility:hidden;
}

its works in 1.5.0

Post by CypherUK » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:35 am

As the templating system has changed some what from 1.4x - is there going to be a tutorial to show us how to develop our own templates without it all being reset with updates?

Or is it just as simple as copying the default folder and renaming it?

Cheers
Mark

Location - Essex, United Kingdom