Post by scmKORE » Fri May 27, 2011 6:59 am

OC team amazing work as usual :D

Post by tdaubs » Fri May 27, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks so much to all your hard work! You're a coding genius!

Opencart Support . Opencart Galaxy . Buy Me a Coffee?

Location - Southern California

Post by grgr » Fri May 27, 2011 3:28 pm

The affiliate system seems to work quite nicely except for payments, perhaps you had something in mind?

Anyway, to make a payment I'm guessing that you just add a negative transaction in the admin. The trouble with this is you get an email saying you received -£x commission, so I thought a simple 'if ($amount > 0)' statement for the addTransaction function would sort that (original email if adding money and a different email if making a payment) but now I've thought about it I think some ticky boxes or something may be required so that you can choose the content of the email: Commission added, payment made, commission removed (in case of returns or something) or anything else I can't think of at the moment.

As for ie6, I still use it!!! Although I mostly use FF at the moment and as soon as I get myself a new laptop I will no longer use ie6 at all. Although I don't sell that much, i have not sold anything to anyone using ie6 this year but i do get a lot of hits from ie6 browers but they are mostly rubbish and mostly from asia, so although it would be nice for ie6 to be supported even I would have to agree that there is no point wasting time and energy on it except to include an ie update banner to let people know why the site doesn't work.

-
Image Image Image Image
VIEW ALL EXTENSIONS * EXTENSION SUPPORT * WEBSITE * CUSTOM REQUESTS

Location - UK

Post by opencartisalright » Fri May 27, 2011 7:14 pm

grgr wrote:The affiliate system seems to work quite nicely except for payments, perhaps you had something in mind?

Anyway, to make a payment I'm guessing that you just add a negative transaction in the admin. The trouble with this is you get an email saying you received -£x commission, so I thought a simple 'if ($amount > 0)' statement for the addTransaction function would sort that (original email if adding money and a different email if making a payment) but now I've thought about it I think some ticky boxes or something may be required so that you can choose the content of the email: Commission added, payment made, commission removed (in case of returns or something) or anything else I can't think of at the moment.
Agreed.

I actually made a feature request for an advanced affiliate system here, http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=32674.

Post by QNAP » Sat May 28, 2011 4:36 pm

Someone who can clarify the following:

Where to enter the purchase price and gross margin or contribution margin per sold or produced unit?
It should be under Products/Data but there are no fields for that kind of information.

Post by ohalex » Sat May 28, 2011 5:29 pm

What do you think of this idea how mega-menu should look like?
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 21#p159321

Post by QNAP » Sat May 28, 2011 6:14 pm

What is the difference between Discount and Special?

How does the Priority field work??

Post by imadam » Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 pm

RE: IE6.

How supported is it currently with 1.5? i'd say try to give the most basic support unless this is too much of a job and then display that upgrade banner.

if users want IE6 i assume it won't be too much work them to get someone to make it support it. seems like a waste of time at the moment and as 1.4 works with ie6 if they really need it then they can use that version. or wait once 1.5 is out and then if you have time and the requests then support ie6

my opencart carpet cleaning woking guildford and Office Cleaning Services in Guildford

Location - Surrey

Post by Daniel » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 pm

IE6 work is nearly finished.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by audiomarket » Sun May 29, 2011 2:46 pm

I believe that the theme for an online store, they should very simple and clear. I, too, for a time I tried to develop different themes from the original without getting the best aesthetic results. The current theme of OpenCart is beautiful, clean and refined that allows you to highlight the contents of the store. Most of the themes developed by third parties are generally horrible. I believe that the core development team of OpenCart succeed in time to make even the graphics, totally manageable side admin. You only need to provide staff with new ideas.
In fact, I got the idea to integrate the share pages on social networks and now I saw that this function has been integrated by default.

So, my advice is to give staff ideas that get ideas for improving the whole system in functionality and utility.
Cordially

Post by ronnieb » Sun May 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi
Total newbie here - used oscommerce for more than 7 years so looking for a new cart

just finished playing with 1.4.9.5
downloaded a template - and managed to get the shop looking great in about 1 hour.

Just uploaded v 1.5.2

OMG

sorry I have to put my thoughts into writing - I hope someone sits down and writes a book on the new template system, because after 2 hours, Im still having problems figuring it out.

nothing seems to be in order ....

to start you goto

system -settings - ive picked home as default (does this set the whole system to home or what ?)

then goto

system design layout - confusing don't get it at all

then

extension modules - I understand this (i think) you can make every page different if you want
I want every page to look the same

then to make it even more confusing
you can change the way its shown on

Catalog / Categories & Products

Simple questions

1) How can you get rid of the categories menu along the top
2) How do you get the shopping cart box to appear in the left hand side

Im not sure how a normal person could figure this out ?

Ronnie

Post by Daniel » Sun May 29, 2011 7:44 pm

ronnieb wrote:Hi
Total newbie here - used oscommerce for more than 7 years so looking for a new cart

just finished playing with 1.4.9.5
downloaded a template - and managed to get the shop looking great in about 1 hour.

Just uploaded v 1.5.2

OMG

sorry I have to put my thoughts into writing - I hope someone sits down and writes a book on the new template system, because after 2 hours, Im still having problems figuring it out.

nothing seems to be in order ....

to start you goto

system -settings - ive picked home as default (does this set the whole system to home or what ?)

then goto

then

extension modules - I understand this (i think) you can make every page different if you want
I want every page to look the same

then to make it even more confusing
you can change the way its shown on

Catalog / Categories & Products

Simple questions

1) How can you get rid of the categories menu along the top
2) How do you get the shopping cart box to appear in the left hand side

Im not sure how a normal person could figure this out ?

Ronnie

if you where a coder you would know how hard it is to setup a layout system and have modules that can appear on different pages with a different set of settings for each one.

this is stil a RC version so the documentation has not been updated yet to include all the new features.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by ronnieb » Sun May 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Im not a coder, and I understand totally the programming involved, however all reports state that opencart was easy to modify

most of it is

however upgraders to the system - or new users just won't understand it ...

example -

how do i put the cart (thats in the header) into the left / right column

the cart box isn't to be found anywhere

how to i remove the drop down menu from the top completly

again - nowhere to be found

in 1.4.9.5 the cart is in extensions
as is google analytics

I would have thought these two items would have been simple to find and change
Last edited by ronnieb on Sun May 29, 2011 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ronnieb » Sun May 29, 2011 8:04 pm

just noticed in 1.4.9.5 reviews
in admin when you want to add a review you can choose the product name from a drop down box

in 1.5.2 it simply gives you a text box to write the name of the product

why change something that worked ?

Ronnie

Post by grgr » Sun May 29, 2011 8:45 pm

ronnieb wrote:

Ronnie
I don't get that either, can someone that knows something clear that one up. The one topic that looked like it may have explained it seems to have been deleted.

Is this the ground work for an admin controlable multi template depending on which page you are looking at type of thing that can be ignored at the moment as it is yet to be developed or does it actually have some use at the moment?

-
Image Image Image Image
VIEW ALL EXTENSIONS * EXTENSION SUPPORT * WEBSITE * CUSTOM REQUESTS

Location - UK

Post by ronnieb » Sun May 29, 2011 9:10 pm

From what I have gathered is that if you wanted a 'normal' shop ie left / right / header / footer / middle

and you want every page to be the same then you only need ONE layout (default)

the problem is ... when you 1st look at it (system - design - layouts) there are 11 items (why?)

example goto
layouts - checkout - edit - then you have a box that states route the default is .... checkout/

I can't figure out what this does

I have deleted 10 of the design layouts and stuck to default - and nothing has changed in the look

I goto the default and add a route (common/home) - and nothing happens

to change the look of the shop you go to extensions / modules and select the default look, and add bits where you need them.

then you can add differences to the design in categories and products ???
why ? -

Surely the one fundemental idea of a shopping cart, is to keep the design relative throughout the whole shoppers experience

prehaps i'm missing the point

Ronnie

Post by Daniel » Sun May 29, 2011 10:18 pm

I don;t expect all users to get how this works straght away. there needs to be soem documentation. maybe if i add it to the page its self.

to add the route code look at the address bar and l;ook at the route var.

index.php?route=common/home

thats what you need to type in. doing it this way is the best way because if i have to pre set all the different routes then the presets will have to be updated when new pages are added.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by opencartisalright » Sun May 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Daniel wrote:I don;t expect all users to get how this works straght away. there needs to be soem documentation. maybe if i add it to the page its self.

to add the route code look at the address bar and l;ook at the route var.

index.php?route=common/home

thats what you need to type in. doing it this way is the best way because if i have to pre set all the different routes then the presets will have to be updated when new pages are added.
No worries Daniel, I'm getting ready to write up a tutorial in layman's terms on how the layout system works.

Post by opencartisalright » Sun May 29, 2011 10:52 pm

(Mods please feel free to move this to the tutorial section)

The new Layout system in OpenCart 1.5 is awesome! However it can be a bit confusing at first. This tutorial will show you how the new Layout system works. For this tutorial we are going to focus on the product page of your web store, but you can apply the below steps to any of your store's pages (ex. your home page, categories page, affiliate page, sitemap page, etc.)

When you first install OpenCart 1.5, your product page will look like the pic below. As you can see, the only module enabled in the left hand column so far is the categories module.
Layout 3.png

Layout 3.png (157.26 KiB) Viewed 9159 times

Let's say I want to add the information module to all my product pages. So, I would go to the Extensions menu in the admin panel, and then click on module.
Layout 5.png

Layout 5.png (33.05 KiB) Viewed 9159 times

From here, I can assign which web page on my store I want the information module to show up on. For this tutorial I want to add the information module to my product pages, so I would follow the example in the below pic.
Layout 6.png

Layout 6.png (58.29 KiB) Viewed 9159 times

Continued -------------------------->
Last edited by opencartisalright on Sun May 29, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by opencartisalright » Sun May 29, 2011 10:52 pm

Once you complete the above step, the information module will now appear in the left hand column of all your product pages, like in the pic below.
Layout 7.png

Layout 7.png (144.67 KiB) Viewed 9159 times

That's pretty much it. By following the above steps, you can add as many modules as you want, wherever you want them, to each and every page of your store.

But, what is the Layout menu for in the admin panel (under System ---> Design ---> Layouts)? Basically it contains all the pages in your store and the web address of each of those pages.
Layout 1.png

Layout 1.png (30.7 KiB) Viewed 9151 times

Below is the screen you arrive at when you click on the edit link.
Layout 2.jpg

Layout 2.jpg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 9151 times

As you can see from above, you can edit which store (if you have multi-store set up) you want the modules to appear on, and you can select the route (web address) to each page of your web store.

After you have edited the above, you can then go back to the Extensions ---> Modules menu, and you can assign the modules to your new web pages.
Last edited by opencartisalright on Sun May 29, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.