Post by m3ir4idstti » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi,

We have installed the Opencart on http://www.m3izero.de and enabled the SEO URLs. However, there seems to be some systematic error with the SEO URLs.

The first link under the Categories works with the SEO URLs. From the second link onwards, there are all dynamic links.

Similarly, the frist link under the Information and Latest Products works with the SEO URLs. From the second link onwards, there are all dynamic links.

Any help on resolving the problem is much appreciated.

Thanks,
TY

Post by Qphoria » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Yes that is a demo shop.
Worry about it when you have real products and you will see that it works by the seo keyword.

Administrator

Post by mab » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:11 pm

I just implemented SEO friendly URLs. I found that some categories were linking directly to products and deduced that this was because the category and the product had the same SEO keyword. Is this a known issue and is there any workaround other than periodically checking that the users have not created products/categories with duplicated SEO keywords?

Regards
MAB

mab

Post by MWYS » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 am

Qphoria wrote:Yes that is a demo shop.
Worry about it when you have real products and you will see that it works by the seo keyword.
Hi Qphoria, I am currently developing a new website using Open Cart and when i enable the SEO Url's and have the Htaccess file set up (correctly). The first link is re-written correctly such as store.com/desktops/ but every link afterwards is still the store.com/index.php?route=products/desktops etc.

This happened on my 1.3.2 installation, and 1.3.3 Installation - Any ideas why this is the case?

Post by ScottBohler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:15 am

Hello all,

I'm having trouble too. v1.3.2. I have SEO URLs enabled and .htaccess.txt renamed to .htaccess

Here's what I get:

In my categories,

* if the SEO keyword is blank for the category the URL works but it remains an "index.php?route=" URL
* if the SEO keyword contains a keyword, such as "bracelets", the URL becomes SEO-friendly, utilizing the keyword to make "shop.com/path/bracelets", but it does not function properly. When I click on the link it takes me back to the home page rather than to bracelets.

So, OpenCart seems to create SEO URLs ok, but they don't work in my case. :(

How do we fix this problem?

Many thanks in advance!

- Scott

Post by cmebd » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:08 pm

i seem to be having problems with SEO tags too.

I placed SEO keyword into the Category "Lace" and then changed it by removing the words AustralianLace - however this remains in the URL http://karoola.com.au/AustralianLace.

Another problem I have is that I added a graphic to a product - OK the product appears on the home page but not in/under the category and clicking on the category name does nothing??

I have got two sublevels ie, Lace > Ornaments > Christmas & Easter which is where the product is meant to be so my question has to be: Does OC allow more levels than 2 for categories?

I can certainly find the graphic of the product using the search module.
Clarity would be most appreciated.

Thanks

A stupid question is the one you -don't- ask.........(Anon)

)C1.5.0.1 (IN devel)
OC V1.4.9.5
OC V1.4.9.2
OC V1.4.7
OC V1.3.4

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Daniel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:29 pm

you need to enter a keyword for all the categories.

you can not expect seo keywords to work when one of the parent categories ahas a missing keyword.

"I have got two sublevels ie, Lace > Ornaments > Christmas & Easter which is where the product is meant to be so my question has to be: Does OC allow more levels than 2 for categories?!"

Of course it does. look at the forms properly!! what do you think parent maens?

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by ScottBohler » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi Daniel,

I read your last post and have ensured that all of my categories contain SEO keywords but I still have the same problem: SEO URLs take me to the home page.

Waddaya think?

Thanks,

- Scott

Post by Qphoria » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:30 am

MWYS wrote:
Qphoria wrote:Yes that is a demo shop.
Hi Qphoria, I am currently developing a new website using Open Cart and when i enable the SEO Url's and have the Htaccess file set up (correctly). The first link is re-written correctly such as store.com/desktops/ but every link afterwards is still the store.com/index.php?route=products/desktops etc.

This happened on my 1.3.2 installation, and 1.3.3 Installation - Any ideas why this is the case?
You quoted my answer. Obviously it works for desktop because that one has an seo keyword. The other's do not.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:32 am

ScottBohler wrote:Hello all,

* if the SEO keyword is blank for the category the URL works but it remains an "index.php?route=" URL
* if the SEO keyword contains a keyword, such as "bracelets", the URL becomes SEO-friendly, utilizing the keyword to make "shop.com/path/bracelets", but it does not function properly. When I click on the link it takes me back to the home page rather than to bracelets.

So, OpenCart seems to create SEO URLs ok, but they don't work in my case. :(

How do we fix this problem?

Many thanks in advance!
This is likely due to you using a subfolder like "shop" and not adding that to your rewritebase in the htaccess file so it redirects back to home (instead of showing an error page)

Edit your htaccess file and change:
RewriteBase /
to
RewriteBase /shop/

or whatever your subfolder is called.

Administrator

Post by mab » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:07 am

I now have this problem on a new site and I've found a workaround that may give someone a clue as to the root cause (it isn't the one suggested by Q above afaics).

Check out the site at http://www.feralmale.com. In the new products list the gold wedge cufflinks link works but the gold lanspeed cuflfinks link does not. Neither of them worked until I did the procedure below on the wedge cufflinks.

And the workaround is...

In the Admin console list the products. For each affected product click edit. Then click save. SEO friendly keyword now works for that product. Repeat ad infinitum, or until someone suggests a better method.

I'm wondering if it's a duff ASCII character in the url_alias database table that gets cleaned up when the product is opened then saved, but what do I know, I'm not a programmer. Any further ideas?

PS I'm really pleased with the logo for this site (but my tastes tend to the idiosyncratic). There will be a prize for the first person who tells me the source of the graphic but you have to say it's great too and mean it ;-)

MAB

mab

Post by ScottBohler » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:30 am

Qphoria wrote: This is likely due to you using a subfolder like "shop" and not adding that to your rewritebase in the htaccess file so it redirects back to home (instead of showing an error page)

RewriteBase /
to
RewriteBase /shop/

Well I, for one, am feeling very Qphoric today. That was it! This would be good info to add to the instructions in the admin page: "If your store is located in a subfolder..."

Thanks for the simple fix, Qphoria. ;D

- Scott

Post by cmebd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:58 am

Daniel wrote:
Of course it does. look at the forms properly!! what do you think parent maens?
Well if we want to be patronising - I have been a parent for 40+ years so am most probably more versed than you on that score.

Of course I know what the structure/relationship of parent/child is - I created a tri level category didn't I? What a silly question to ask.

A stupid question is the one you -don't- ask.........(Anon)

)C1.5.0.1 (IN devel)
OC V1.4.9.5
OC V1.4.9.2
OC V1.4.7
OC V1.3.4

Post by webopius » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi all,

On one of our sites that uses OpenCart, I modified the SEO URL system so that it behaved in a similar way to some other ecommerce systems. I'm not saying this is the best or right solution, but it got around all the issues with leaving the 'SEO keyword' field blank or where there were duplicate products/categories with the same SEO keyword.

What we did was...

- If SEO keyword field was empty, the URL would be auto generated based on the product/category or manufacturer description
- The URL format used is:
/c-49-miscellaneous-items/p-56-hanging-basket-chain

'c' is the category, 'p' is the product, spaces in the description are changed to '-' and all non alphanumeric chars are removed.
Notice the use of the ID in the URL along with the keywords. This guarantees the URL is unique and also avoids the need to query the alias table for each link visited.

I'm fairly new to OpenCart and couldn't see any source code repository where this type of change could be submitted but if there is interest in this change, I'm happy to contribute.

Adam

http://www.webopius.com

Post by cmebd » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:29 am

Hi Adam,

You can deposit in the "Contributions" forum..... Make the subject SEO URL Enhancement or something similar in the subject.

I for one would be more than happy to get a solution here...

Cheers

Post by Moggin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:01 am

ScottBohler wrote:
Qphoria wrote: This is likely due to you using a subfolder like "shop" and not adding that to your rewritebase in the htaccess file so it redirects back to home (instead of showing an error page)

RewriteBase /
to
RewriteBase /shop/

Well I, for one, am feeling very Qphoric today. That was it! This would be good info to add to the instructions in the admin page: "If your store is located in a subfolder..."

Thanks for the simple fix, Qphoria. ;D
Hey, thanks from me too! Fixed at last. Who knew it would be this easy :)

Post by PalMultimedia » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:30 pm

hi
I have a problem with SEO rewrite

I have Zues server and addes rewrite script but it is not working.

Is their anyone who have solution for it?? or script code !!

thanks...

Post by screamkitty » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:24 am

I was having a problem with subcategories not using the SEO URL alias despite the fact that the parent categories were working fine. A quick peek in phpmyadmin revealed that the category IDs in the URL Alias table were wrong.

The top-level parent categories were fine, but the subcategories were incorrect, i.e.:

Cars id=40

--Chevrolet id=23 <------ This should be id=40_23

Not really sure what caused it, but manually fixing the IDs repaired the problem.

This is using version 1.4.9

Post by MaxKlimax » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:55 pm

Please,

I have the same problem as cmbed mentioned.

My SEO url is working but if i would like to change any SEO keyword, it does not change in my store.

Why is the old SEO keyword showing after changing? How to fix this bug?

Best regards

Bashar
maxklimax.se
info@maxklimax.se