Post by TAC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Just want to say that I hope Daniel and any other OC forum friends in the far east are all ok with the earthquakes and aftermath :(

TAC

Location - England

Post by msmith » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Yes, I was thinking the same. Especially for SapporoGuy who lives in North Japan and the other Japanese forum members. One of the most beautiful countries on earth, now devastated in vast areas.

Post by i2Paq » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:09 pm

OK, I think that this community needs to know how our Japanese forum members are doing.

I support this "initiative" sort like topic and have modified the title and made it a Global sticky for 7 days. Thumbs up for TAC.

Lets hope, and pray, they all are OK! :)

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by i2Paq » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:30 am

Who do we know of lives in that area?

Daniel, we know he's OK, last visit was today.
SapporoGuy, he has visited us for the last time on the 10th.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by TAC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:32 am

qahar last logged on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:46 pm

TAC

Location - England

Post by johnnet » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:52 am

i'm supporting this topic too, i felt bit concerned about SapporoGuy, coz i know he lives in Japan, While Daniel was in HK & Qahar from Indonesia, if i not mistaken. Pray for Japan & other countries that were effected. i'm blessed & Good in SouthEastAsia.

Post by SXGuy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:05 am

My thoughts go out to all those who have been afected by the tsunami, earthquakes and now the nucluear power plant explosion.

Post by Qphoria » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:30 am

Daniel lives in Hong Kong which is part of China... not Japan. I don't believe China was hit with anything more than some heightened river levels

Administrator

Post by afwollis » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:00 am

+1

I hope everyone is OK.

TAC, i2Paq thanks for topic - I have not have TV, so got this news just recently from this forum.

Русское коммьюнити разработчиков OpenCart - myopencart.ru

some useful mods:
[Released] Orders and Comments AT-A-GLANCE, [Released] Prof. Invoice and Packingslip, [Released] Recently viewed

My commercial modules: [W]ebme Compare Products, [W]ebme Bought With This

Location - Ukraine

Post by SapporoGuy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:41 am

Hi all!

Thank you for your concern!

I live on another island north of the main island. I actually now live outside of Sapporo but I called Sapporo home for over 15 years, hence the name Sapporo Guy.

The earthquake hit offshore from Japan and Japan basically blocked most on the "asian side" of the Tsunami (tidal wave).
The area hit is about 3 hours north of Tokyo by car.

It is called Sendai (like in sent -t + die -- sen die).
It is a beautiful city along the coast with nearly a million people. Those of us from Sapporo share a kindred with them since their city are ours are often compared. However, we call them the Sapporo north of Tokyo ;D

The area was devastated. Watching the waves come in live on TV was ... horrible.
The death rate keeps climbing and it makes me feel worse every time I see it climb.

It hasn't really been said, but over 90% of the deaths were caused by the Tsunami. Those who died in the quake were either victims of fate or building contractors who cut corners. The Japanese normally build to 6+ standard and craftsmanship in general is good.

In way I am also angry since Japan always has Tsunami warnings after earthquake. The reason I'm angry is that I have a feeling that lots of people down played the warnings due to the "boy who cried" syndrome. I really think that people thought this was another "harbor" only problem.

Currently, major issues are:
nuclear reactor -- Japan news is down playing the issue
cell phones -- 2 out of the 3 major carriers are whacked (some people are still without text and email on their phones)
utilities -- having those power plants off grid are going to cause rolling black outs for the main island. The area hit by the quake has no water or gas too!

soon to solve issues:
housing -- lots of folks are staying in shelters since their homes where shattered and sucked out into the ocean or now is in splinters across some farmers field :'( :'( :'(

Future issues:
I'm not sure what the world markets are going to make of this but since Japan is toilet bowl economically, the country is going to be really hard pressed to come up with money to help to rebuild. Japan is actually worse off than Greece and Ireland but Japan has kept this issue low key because of low interest rates; bank interest %0.1 and loans 3%.

Reality, yes normal Japanese people have a huge bit of cash in the banks but everyday living standards are pretty low and you can get a meal for under $3 if you look a bit. Japanese are amazing at how well they can live a relatively simple life -- most people only see them on vacation as tourist spending money like crazy. In reality ... those same people are pretty thrift and don't own cars or houses.

Thank you once again!!!

930sc ... because it is fun!

Post by Moggin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:35 am

It's great to hear from you, Sapporo :good:

Post by RonA » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Thank you for the update and perspective Sapporoguy... it's heartbreaking to know that so many good people are suffering. Can you recommend a dependable aid agency in Japan that we could send an emergency donation to? (I usually send to Doctors Without Borders but maybe it's better to send to a local Japanese agency that is already there working.)

Post by SapporoGuy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks!

@ donations
Not sure since I normally just donate at the local 7/11 (convenience store) or to the red cross.

I did see on the net that zynga (???) farmville (???) was donating their proceeds of selling sweet potatoes to Japan.

I've been really impressed by how many people and countries coming out to help Japan. For some reason, China really impressed me since they tend bash Japan every so often.

Post by msmith » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Great to here from you !

Post by TAC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:06 pm

Glad to hear from our far-east friends and hope that international aid will be able to put many people's lives back together eventually.

The BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12721827 has news of immediate help being sent. I expect they will report on any fund-raising initiatives as well.

There is some information here http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Mobile-Gi ... luZw--?x=0 as well.

And The Red Cross http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now/M ... ami-Appeal

Let's not forget the New Zealand quakes, Aussie floods and other natural disasters either. ;)

TAC

Location - England

Location - Ukraine

Post by Sara Martin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:24 pm

i really support this topic from my heart and soul i know japanese forum members and every one who lived in japan infected from this big earth quake and thousands of people have loss their lives but we have to give up the confidence to start a new life....

Template Magician - Web Templates & Web Designs Collection

Website Templates | Business Templates | CSS Templates | Joomla Templates

Location - Napervile, Illinois, USA

Post by openmycart.com » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:13 pm

I also support and pray for Japan. our Asian brothers, hope they rise quickly

Find and get many various of opencart modules, themes, mods, etc for your opencart store at http://www.openmycart.com/oc/, OPENCART SITE customization and Maintenance supports at here

Post by SapporoGuy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Slightly old news but a friend in Sendai City said that they have electricity (lucky to live on a large hill outside of town) however, food, water, gas and heating gas/oil is still out.

A bigger concern now for Japan and surrounding countries is that of the nuclear power plants and how they are spewing nuclear radiation out. Japanese news is not forth coming and most outside news agency seem to be over doing it too. However, if Japan looses control of that reactor, I'll be looking for a flight or ferry to get off this island. (I'm about 400 miles but still ...).

Let's pray/hope that Japan has enough luck to prevent a meltdown. :choke:

Post by jefrey1983 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:28 pm

most outside news agency seem to be over doing it too
I agree with you