Post by mkp » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Flat rate boxes can definitely save lots of money of the customers. So your problem is that all customers are choosing the small flat rate box for all products even though the product won’t fit in the box. So my opinion is that you must remove the feature for selecting the suitable flat rate box by the customer. Instead of that you can add an extra module on your websites to select a suitable flat rate box according to the size of the product they selected. This can definitely solve the problem. So the new module must include the coded to calculate the exact size of the products they have selected and to select the suitable flat rate box (small, medium or large).

mkp

Post by padred123 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:06 am

mkp wrote:Flat rate boxes can definitely save lots of money of the customers. So your problem is that all customers are choosing the small flat rate box for all products even though the product won’t fit in the box. So my opinion is that you must remove the feature for selecting the suitable flat rate box by the customer. Instead of that you can add an extra module on your websites to select a suitable flat rate box according to the size of the product they selected. This can definitely solve the problem. So the new module must include the coded to calculate the exact size of the products they have selected and to select the suitable flat rate box (small, medium or large).
Thats exactly what this module does...

Post by ktutu » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:38 pm

I installed the updated version of this mod, (very nice btw), but I would like to remove the word "trackable" after each shipping option. I've played with the coding a bit, but my lack of php knowledge is causing an error when I make changes. Would someone mind showing me exactly what to remove to fix this?

Also, prior to uploading this file, I added in some coding from the site that defaults the shipping method to the cheapest available, but when I added in this mod, it overrode the first. What do I need to do to reinstate the first mod?

Lastly, for some reason, adding in this coding causes parcel post to appear as a shipping option even though it's not selected in the admin settings. Would someone happen to know how this happened or how to change it?

TIA.

Post by elmstreet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:23 am

Perhaps this might help with the problem of estimating postage based on dimension and weight of items and boxes:

http://www.solvingmaze.com

The SolvingMaze's e-Commerce Shipping Calculator can package items into multiple boxes of different sizes. It also supports items with multiple packaging dimensions (e.g. clothing which can be folded and packed in more than one way), items with "this-side-up" packaging restriction, and boxes (envelopes & parcels) with postage that varies by weight. There is an open API for integration with any application such as shopping cart.

You can check out out their live demos for more information.

Post by elmstreet » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 pm

I have now added a free shipping extension that calculate shipping by dimension and weight. You can use it for any carriers and delivery services in the world. I started a new thread for this extension at:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=28070

Post by spoon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 am

Here's my xml for this mod using vQmod. (works on 1.4.9.4)
I haven't tested it extensively, but it should work perfectly.

Attachments

Post by zzzz » Wed May 18, 2011 5:39 am

12oclocker, do you have the hack for 1.4.9.5?

Post by 12oclocker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Guys, I have not installed 1.4.9.5 yet, I just tonight got some free time to see what new versions of opencart have been released. I'm going to check out the new versions and I'll post up the changes as soon as I make the upgrade ;-)

Post by 12oclocker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 am

OK, here is the updated file for 1.4.9.5, it also fixes the bug that does not allow you to select Priority Mail for any packages less than 13oz.

copy the file to....
\catalog\model\shipping\usps.php

Features: (these features are hard coded, if you want to change them, edit the code in the file)
This mod has the USPS Flat Rate Box cubic calculator, which determines the best size and enables it.
Allows you to set minimum prices for International and Domestic.
Add's the words "Trackable" to packages which can be tracked via USPS website.

Notes:
This code REQUIRES you use inches and lbs as your weight measurements!
RateV4Request no longer returns "Priority Mail International Small Flate Rate Box" as an option anymore, I'm not sure why.

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:09 am

You better read this before downloading.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 93#p172193

There is no bug in my code, but your version removes the ability to ship anything via firstclass

Administrator

Post by 12oclocker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:38 am

Thanks Q, I'll update the download soon, but anyone who want's to use it can uncomment the section I commented out at the top which says bug.

Post by jomeza001 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Great Mod. Suscribed!!

Post by jclaudii » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:26 am

Made a few changes, but all in all it works with 1.4.9.4....let us know if/when you get time to sort any of the bugs out. I substituted the envelop for the small flat rate box. And I appreciate the debug code that was in so I could get the id's the usps uses!

Post by jomeza001 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:00 am

What versions OC will this MOD work on??

1.4.9x
1.5.1.1??

Post by januszf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:55 am

"If it fits it ships"! can you ship 3 tennis balls inserted into Flat Rate bubble padded envelope? the 3 balls fit's very well but the envelope is 2.5 in tick, the postman explain to me the Flat Rate envelope must be flat because "Flat Rate", :-\
please let me know if there's any dimension limit for Flat Rate envelopes? Thanks in advance

Post by lrubin28 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:30 am

I think the rule is that its supposed to fit and be able to be sealed without using any extra tape or adhesive. I always use tape and have only had a problem once, when a certain clerk refused to take the flat rate package because I had used a piece of Scotch tape on both sides at the top - about 2 inches of tape total in each place. Crazy...

Post by januszf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:12 pm

3 tennis ball fit and sealed perfectly without using any Scotch tape, the Flat Rate padded envelope is very soft and flexible (not like regular paper Flat Rate envelope which is mostly using to send the documents) and you can put the items what fits inside very easily, why postman said "Flat Rate Envelope" must be FLAT??? I thing the "Flat" is for the "Rate", not for the envelope! (It Fits It Ships)

Post by Rainforest » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:08 pm

Has anyone had this issue with 1.5.1.3?
Currently on my test site, the USPS module is configured just like my live 1.4.9.5 site but shows all flat rate options at checkout.

Self Taught Opencart User & Developer Since 2010.

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:14 pm

Rainforest wrote:Has anyone had this issue with 1.5.1.3?
Currently on my test site, the USPS module is configured just like my live 1.4.9.5 site but shows all flat rate options at checkout.
Well as you said yourself.. the USPS default module doesn't support flat rate boxes.. you need that mod that 12oclocker made for flatrate.. but that breaks firstclass the way it was made. So you may need 12 oclocker to update his mod. Maybe as a vQmod

Administrator

Post by Rainforest » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 am

ah ok, bummer that it doesn't work.

Thank you so much for your help

Self Taught Opencart User & Developer Since 2010.