Post by Qphoria » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:50 am

marc_cole wrote:Is the 'Shipping by SubTotal' module going to make it into 1.5.0? I'd really like to see that as part of the core again.
Was never in the core before

Administrator

Post by marc_cole » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:57 am

Qphoria wrote:Was never in the core before
Then I'll rephrase my question: ;)

Is a 'Shipping by SubTotal' module going to make it into 1.5.0? I'd really like to see that module brought back.

BTW, Daniel mentioned removing it, as he thought no one would use it, so I thought it had been part of the core.

OpenCart v1.4.9.4
VQMod | Categories Home | Cleaner By Default - 2 Column | Speak Good English

Location - Seattle, WA

Post by Rogue » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:53 am

Daniel wrote:
Rogue wrote:Could you consider the ability to customize the admin dashboard, or at least apply some restrictions for users on that page too...
the admin already has this feature under user groups.
are you sure Daniel? I have moved up to 1.4.9.3 and the Dashboard remain accessible to all. I also checked the 1.5.0 demo site and it's not obvious this is any different.

To clarify I am talking about /admin/index.php?route=common/home

... right now my workaround is to feed a URL going directly to the report>sales (customized to my needs) to the people that needs access to the reports and remove all from the home page since I can't stop my clients/partners to click on the home page (Dashboard) and access sales summary.

Anyway, as pointed out it *might* be a feature request, i.e not the place, but I think I am correct to say the Dashboard is open to all with no possibility to change that.

Post by Daniel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:22 pm

The dasboard is designed that way. Indvidual pages have access and modify permissions for eeach user group.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:33 pm

One easy way around it might be the ability to assign a default landing page for each user/user group. Then just disable the dashboard for anyone who doesn't have explicit permission to view it. Basically treat it like any other page, with a permission level etc.

Post by Daniel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:58 pm

gocreative wrote:One easy way around it might be the ability to assign a default landing page for each user/user group. Then just disable the dashboard for anyone who doesn't have explicit permission to view it. Basically treat it like any other page, with a permission level etc.
it pretty pointless as its only you that has asked for this. just remove it from the template and use the main reports for your self.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Well actually I didn't ask for it at all - that was someone else. I was just suggesting a way to do it.

Post by Rogue » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:46 pm

Daniel wrote:it pretty pointless as its only you that has asked for this. just remove it from the template and use the main reports for your self.
I think what you're saying is to delete the home page from the server? I would have thought it could create problem but I guess I could give it a go... not much more practical than editing the file mind you. Not sure I understand the logic behind the argument that it's an isolated request but at least I know you've seen it ;-)

Post by Daniel » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Rogue wrote:
Daniel wrote:it pretty pointless as its only you that has asked for this. just remove it from the template and use the main reports for your self.
I think what you're saying is to delete the home page from the server? I would have thought it could create problem but I guess I could give it a go... not much more practical than editing the file mind you. Not sure I understand the logic behind the argument that it's an isolated request but at least I know you've seen it ;-)
i'm not saying delete the home page. just alter it so the sales don;t show.

look there are 3 types of ecommerce software:

1. off the shelf
2. custom build
3. off the shelf and customise

OpenCart is off the shelf and customise. it might cover 99% of your requirements but for that remaining 1% you need to customise it. I have made opencart so that it covers the requirments of the majority of people that require shiopping carts buts you will always get the few who require additional functionality of changes.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by TAC » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Xsecrets wrote:you do realize that there is no dropdown in the current version of opencart right? So it's not like it would be a step backwards or anything if someone turned it off. You can always use the regular category menu just like you do now.
There are mods for drop-down menus and that's what I've used on my site because it is the way forward for many of us. I don't think my menu is as good as it could be, it is quite 'clunky', so when I saw the 1.5 demo I was thrilled. :dance:

I think it would be unfair not to include it, seeing as it has been created already, just because some people prefer to stay with the old way. Give those resistant to change the option to stand still and those of us who want to move forward the chance as well. That's what a great cart should offer. And a lot of us will have clients who want the modern look.

If we were all going on asking for mega-menu and it wasn't possible that's different - but we've seen it's there and the talk of taking it away again is very troubling :'(

Isn't it time this "mega-menu debate" was put in a different thread so those of us worried about it can keep talking and not take up so much space on the sneak preview topic? :)

TAC

Location - England

Post by jty » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:48 am

Yeah, I'd like to see the mega-menu left in the core so I can delete it. Rather than not in the core so I have to add it.
It is easier to delete than to add code.
I don't understand this mega-menu debate. If we don't want it, don't we just delete it. That way, others who do want it, have it and those that don't want it can easily un-have it.

jty

Post by OC2PS » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:31 am

jty wrote:I don't understand this mega-menu debate. If we don't want it, don't we just delete it. That way, others who do want it, have it and those that don't want it can easily un-have it.
I don't think so far anybody has said "remove the mega menu". People who like it, as well as those who don't have said "make it a module" :) That seems to be the big message.

OC2PS
OC 3.0.3.7, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal3 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by 7170 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:49 pm

I have to say this is a great update. The new style is growing on me too.

I like the ability to customise the look of each page. You can now easily use opencart to create a whole website and include a shop, so it looks like a website with a shop, and not a shop with a few other pages on it trying to be a whole website (hopefully that makes some sense!).

One thing I did notice though, when you select USD as your currency it then shows $ in front of prices. If you select GBP or EURO it does not also show the £ and € signs, it just shows nothing.

Keep up the good work, it is certainly very much appreciated by myself!

Post by CypherUK » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:20 pm

TAC wrote: Isn't it time this "mega-menu debate" was put in a different thread so those of us worried about it can keep talking and not take up so much space on the sneak preview topic? :)
Sounds a good idea - Perhaps the admins/mods could start a new topic called "Mega Menu - Keep it or Bin It?" and have a Poll so people can vote on their choice?

Location - Essex, United Kingdom

Post by afwollis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:33 pm

Rogue wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Rogue wrote:Could you consider the ability to customize the admin dashboard, or at least apply some restrictions for users on that page too...
the admin already has this feature under user groups.
are you sure Daniel? I have moved up to 1.4.9.3 and the Dashboard remain accessible to all. I also checked the 1.5.0 demo site and it's not obvious this is any different.

To clarify I am talking about /admin/index.php?route=common/home

... right now my workaround is to feed a URL going directly to the report>sales (customized to my needs) to the people that needs access to the reports and remove all from the home page since I can't stop my clients/partners to click on the home page (Dashboard) and access sales summary.

Anyway, as pointed out it *might* be a feature request, i.e not the place, but I think I am correct to say the Dashboard is open to all with no possibility to change that.
"Partners" == some different group, ie "Partners"
Add some "user_group checking" (in all controllers, you want hide from "Partners") and simply show "No permissions" error if they are on one of that pages.
Also you can simply add redirect to any page you want.
And even hide menu-links by editing templates.

All those steps should not take too much time.
I think from several hours to one day.

Русское коммьюнити разработчиков OpenCart - myopencart.ru

some useful mods:
[Released] Orders and Comments AT-A-GLANCE, [Released] Prof. Invoice and Packingslip, [Released] Recently viewed

My commercial modules: [W]ebme Compare Products, [W]ebme Bought With This

Location - Ukraine

Post by OC2PS » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:56 pm

CypherUK wrote:Perhaps the admins/mods could start a new topic called "Mega Menu - Keep it or Bin It?" and have a Poll
That's a bogus debate. While it sounds catchy, those two are not the only 2 options. How about "keep it as an option" or "keep it as a module"...not as sexy or catchy or pithy as the 2 you suggested, but truer to what most people want...

OC2PS
OC 3.0.3.7, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal3 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by TAC » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:30 pm

sooskriszta wrote:
jty wrote:I don't understand this mega-menu debate. If we don't want it, don't we just delete it. That way, others who do want it, have it and those that don't want it can easily un-have it.
I don't think so far anybody has said "remove the mega menu". People who like it, as well as those who don't have said "make it a module" :) That seems to be the big message.
A few people have said to to remove it IF it cannot be made a module, which I know is not the same.

I think I've figured out a way to resolve this issue... :D

Daniel/Q will the next version of OC have mega-menus as an option or module that can be turned on or off as people wish? :)

TAC

Location - England

Post by CypherUK » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:38 pm

sooskriszta wrote:
CypherUK wrote:Perhaps the admins/mods could start a new topic called "Mega Menu - Keep it or Bin It?" and have a Poll
That's a bogus debate. While it sounds catchy, those two are not the only 2 options. How about "keep it as an option" or "keep it as a module"...not as sexy or catchy or pithy as the 2 you suggested, but truer to what most people want...
That works too :)

Location - Essex, United Kingdom

Post by Guldstrand » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:22 am

The demo doesn´t work anymore.
Internal Server Error
If I remember correctly, (looked a bit on the demo yesterday), I like the design found in 1.4.9.3 much better.
Otherwise I have no more to add in the current situation.

Location - Sweden

Post by QNAP » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Daniel and Q , are you able to say when to expect stable OC V.1.5.0 to be released?