Post by gocreative » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Purebeads wrote:One of the things that I hate about hover menus is that you often have to be very careful about how you move your mouse cursor to the sub-category. If your cursor accidentally strays off the menu, it disappears.
Wouldn't that be the same whether it was a hover-based or click-based menu? Either way, if the cursor goes away then so does the menu. Or are you referring to top-level only menus (i.e. those without any fly-out submenus)?

Post by Purebeads » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm

gocreative wrote:
Purebeads wrote:One of the things that I hate about hover menus is that you often have to be very careful about how you move your mouse cursor to the sub-category. If your cursor accidentally strays off the menu, it disappears.
Wouldn't that be the same whether it was a hover-based or click-based menu? Either way, if the cursor goes away then so does the menu. Or are you referring to top-level only menus (i.e. those without any fly-out submenus)?
With a click menu, you click it and it opens, and then you move your cursor to the link that you want (you don't have to worry that it will close if your cursor doesn't stay on it). With a hover menu, you have to be careful to keep your cursor on the menu lest it suddenly close while you are moving to the link you want.

Post by gocreative » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:56 pm

Purebeads wrote:Gocreative, you are getting a little disrespectful. We're simply going to have to agree to disagree.
What other conclusion could one draw when someone is telling them that they like incredibly long, ugly menus that aren't grouped or ordered in a logical fashion? Sure, sorted by popularity is fine, but not every user would think that way. By grouping, you don't have to factor in user preferences; they will find the item in the appropriate location.

Also, I don't believe in 'agreeing to disagree'.
Purebeads wrote:Whether or not hover menus are the norm or the exception, all I can say is that I encounter them on a minority of sites that I visit. I'm including non-commercial sites in my estimate. Go to the NY Times site and you won't find hover menus, or on most of the other news sites.
That NY Times menu is, again, HORRIBLE. As for 'most news sites', I beg to differ. Check out Australia's #1 news site, http://www.news.com.au.
Purebeads wrote:Perhaps it is because you are a web developer that you think this relatively new feature is more common than it is. I found them annoying the first time I encountered them, and I still find them annoying. I don't need the site I'm visiting to make my clicks for me.
Being a web developer has nothing to do with it, just as being a professional cook doesn't mean I can't work out whether more ovens come with knobs or buttons. If anything, it means I've spent much more time looking closely at more websites, so my dataset is most likely far more wide-reaching than yours.

And we're back to the main point: YOU may find them annoying; most people don't. And we're talking about designing sites for more than just YOU.
Purebeads wrote:With a click menu, you click it and it opens, and then you move your cursor to the link that you want (you don't have to worry that it will close if your cursor doesn't stay on it). With a hover menu, you have to be careful to keep your mouse on the menu lest it suddenly close while you are moving to the link you want.
Not all click-menus keep the menu open, just as not all hover-menus cause the menu to disappear too easily. On the whole, there's no benefit to a click-menu in that regard.

Post by hbuchel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:04 pm

Going back and forth about whether to have click menus or not is kind of pointless. This is all something that can be customized by a theme (and most businesses use a custom theme anyways, not a default theme that everyone has).

Post by gocreative » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:07 pm

hbuchel wrote:Going back and forth about whether to have click menus or not is kind of pointless. This is all something that can be customized by a theme (and most businesses use a custom theme anyways, not a default theme that everyone has).
Our friend Purebeads is arguing that the default menu should be changed to click-based. This definitely should not occur so it's a perfectly valid discussion.

Post by Purebeads » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Gocreative, what you think of as horrible, I happen to like. I like menus that stay closed until I decide to open them, rather than menus that pop open whether I want to look at them or not.

Please don't tell me what "most people" like. You don't have a clue, just as I don't have a clue.

You've gotten nasty now, so I am going to beg out of this exchange.
Last edited by Purebeads on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by hbuchel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:24 pm

gocreative wrote: Our friend Purebeads is arguing that the default menu should be changed to click-based. This definitely should not occur so it's a perfectly valid discussion.
Fair enough. I guess I hate when people just reuse default theme anyways, so it seems like a trivial thing to spend a page or so of posts on something that would and should easily be changed. :D

Post by gocreative » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Purebeads wrote:Gocreative, what you think of as horrible, I happen to like. I like menus that stay closed until I decide to open them, rather than menus that pop open whether I want to look at them or not.
I don't disagree that you like it; far be it from me to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't like. Of course not EVERYONE likes hover-based menus, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. What I'm saying, and what I've been saying all along, is that MOST USERS are USED TO hover-based menus.
Purebeads wrote:Please don't tell me what "most people" like. You don't have a clue, just as I don't have a clue.
I spend my entire working life discussing these types of matters with various key stakeholders. I'm involved in significant user experience testing, have a background in user interface design and am also university qualified in web design. I have designed hundreds upon hundreds of websites over a 12-year period, liaising with other designers, developers, clients and, most importantly, users throughout the process. I have also taken part in online discussions, attended seminars on usability and design, and spend several hours every single week trawling through the internet looking at industry trends and case studies. So please do not tell me that you have any idea what you're talking about in comparison to me.
Purebeads wrote:You've gotten nasty now, so I am going to bed out of this exchange.
I made one quip about apes, but other than that I've been as polite as your uneducated and misinformed opinions deserve. If you had listened to the opinions of those who are more knowledgable and experienced than yourself, perhaps you would have taken the hint and stopped making such one-eyed points without any real objectivity or perspective on the matter.

Come back when you have a clue what you're talking about.

Post by gocreative » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:31 pm

hbuchel wrote:Fair enough. I guess I hate when people just reuse default theme anyways, so it seems like a trivial thing to spend a page or so of posts on something that would and should easily be changed. :D
Oh, I definitely agree. It's not hard to change, but many people don't do that so there's no reason to include a poor template by default.

Post by chorng » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:44 pm

superb!! love the functions n design.

any plan of integrating OC to facebook ?

Post by deeve » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Personally, I've been using the web since year dot & designing/skinning sites for about 15yrs. Currently I prefer Accordion navs as when they're activated they only affect the vertical left column real estate. I am amazed that there has been very little development &/or encouragement of this concept to date on here as to me seems the most obvious & efficient use of the Categories box. My favourite example to date has to be this one but I understand mootools can cause numerous conflicts with jQuery [they do also have a hover version]:

http://blog.medianotions.de/assets/demo ... rdion_1.2/

These days when I look @functionality I do tend to find myself taking into consideration the many different usability needs dependent upon the hardware limitations of desktops, laptops, iPads & mobiles. I'm no developer but the 2 best bits of advise I can give to you guys would be 'You can't please all the people all of the time' & the golden rule of design: KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid! ;)

Post by gocreative » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 pm

deeve wrote:My favourite example to date has to be this one but I understand mootools can cause numerous conflicts with jQuery [they do also have a hover version]:

http://blog.medianotions.de/assets/demo ... rdion_1.2/
There's a jQuery version as well:

http://jqueryui.com/demos/accordion/

Post by oliverker » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Looks good but few things for me to move our cart to open cart.

1. Product options. I have been waiting for this to be core as it is vital to our store for people to enter custom wording (textarea) and possibly file upload. Im really hoping it works well when finished.

2. Will we be able to add stock control to the options that works? I get that global options wont work, but if we add an option to the product you can add 'remove' from stock and add a stock number for that option, but all it does is add a number nothing else.
When you order an option of that product it reduces the stock of the option and the product. BUT the product stock box is not a calculation of all stock of the product options. So there is no correlation to the product option stock and the normal product stock!

3. Banners. Can we have the option to add HTML as a banner - not just images.

Location - West Yorkshire, UK

Post by Purebeads » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:34 pm

One thing I notice about the new store is that all the products have stars, even if they have no reviews. The nature of my products is such that they receive almost no reviews (actually, no reviews at all so far), so I think the stars shouldn't show unless a product actually has a review. Otherwise, I'll end up with all my products having 5 gray stars under them, and that would look awful.

Post by gocreative » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Purebeads wrote:One thing I notice about the new store is that all the products have stars, even if they have no reviews. The nature of my products is such that they receive almost no reviews (actually, no reviews at all so far), so I think the stars shouldn't show unless a product actually has a review. Otherwise, I'll end up with all my products having 5 gray stars under them, and that would look awful.
I think that should be a store-by-store option. Also, Daniel may be planning to use the stars in a manner whereby the user can just click on the stars and it will save their rating (like amazon.com). If that's the case then it's good to have them there (if you want ratings/reviews).

Post by philbydevil » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:40 pm

LIKE:
Catalog:
*Slideshow
*Compare (when it's working)
*Footer Info
*Hover Menus

Admin:
*Orders layout (I would like to see the customer's details stay on each page though - so when I'm, entering their info into my accounting program, I don't have to keep changing tabs to look at their different addresses and what they have ordered)
*Options (this method will save so much time)
*Design options (interesting...)
*Mail (much cleaner having the drop down list to select who emails will be sent to)

UNDECIDED:
Left/Right columns disappear on category/product/etc

Excellent work!

I heart cmd-f, cmd-c, cmd-v, cmd-z + vQmod.
My favourite page...
v1.5.4.1

Post by openmycart.com » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:48 pm

this thread goes so far, and i am new to this, i recently looked so far so good, and not any comment yet, so congratulations

Find and get many various of opencart modules, themes, mods, etc for your opencart store at http://www.openmycart.com/oc/, OPENCART SITE customization and Maintenance supports at here

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:09 pm

spaceman wrote:ADMIN - PRODUCTS - ATTRIBUTE & OPTIONS TABS

Wouldn't the attribute and option fields on the above Product tabs be better as drop-down menus?
Currently you have to start typing in the text box before you get the list.
The drop down lists come up as soon as you click on the respective text fields.
But yes, I agree with you, the drop down lists should always be visible underneath these text fields.

I think the usage of global options and product attributes are the most useful improvements compared to previous releases of OpenCart.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by deeve » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Wish List: Would be great within Admin to offer discounts on specified products to a specific customer group as well as the current site-wide discount. Also, the ability to replace product price with alternative text [+hide the 'add to cart' button & replace with text] yet still retain the product option's value.

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:49 pm

philbydevil wrote:
UNDECIDED:
Left/Right columns disappear on category/product/etc
For those that aren't understanding the concept of a layout designer... YOU choose what shows on which page. You create the layouts. Then you decide which modules show on which layout. So if you want columns on your product pages, enable it for the column. If a column has no modules to show, it auto-hides itself

Administrator