Post by Gatto » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi All
A would like to ask, how can i improve my shops place for google search engine. Its enough if i fill up the SEO-s on product pages, and at my shops name in admin. Or i have to do anything else : xml sitemap, robot.txt etc. ?

Thx

Post by kedgetech » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:58 pm

There is no consolidated list of things you can do that make you get good ranking in search engine. Apart from the things you already mentioned you can try the following to achieve better results.
1. Make sure the content, keywords, Page titles in your website are relevant.
2. Start with Registering your website with Popular Search Engines. (Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask ..)
3. Submit site-map to Search Engines.
4. You can use Webmaster tools/ similar. They will tell you whats been indexed and if there are any issues in your website.
5. A combination of Paid Search placements and SEO will get better ranking.
6. Search Engines (Google) are based on reference will take a little while some times many weeks to get a basic listing.

Bottom line there is no cheat sheet. It takes time and patience is the key to get results SEO.

Hope that helps.

Location - USA, Australia, India

Post by Gatto » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:51 pm

thx, will try

Post by bajaber » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 pm

kedgetech wrote:There is no consolidated list of things you can do that make you get good ranking in search engine. Apart from the things you already mentioned you can try the following to achieve better results.
2. Start with Registering your website with Popular Search Engines. (Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask ..)
4. You can use Webmaster tools/ similar. They will tell you whats been indexed and if there are any issues in your website.
6. Search Engines (Google) are based on reference will take a little while some times many weeks to get a basic listing.

Bottom line there is no cheat sheet. It takes time and patience is the key to get results SEO.

Hope that helps.
Hmm....good advice. Was just wondering regarding backlinks...I see so many adverts for 1000 backlinks for 9.99 etc. Do these actually help? Assuming I have done all the above, do these backlinks improve anything? Or does google & co know which sites are for backlink-selling companies and somehow ignore those backlinks?

Thanks

Post by kedgetech » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:31 pm

bajaber wrote:Hmm....good advice. Was just wondering regarding backlinks...I see so many adverts for 1000 backlinks for 9.99 etc. Do these actually help?
Back links are more or less serve a back bone to search engines like Google that rank by reference and relevancy. Yes they do improve your ranking. Although I would not guarantee it neither does Google i suppose.
bajaber wrote:Assuming I have done all the above, do these backlinks improve anything? Or does google & co know which sites are for backlink-selling companies and somehow ignore those backlinks?
Its possible some of the well known offenders or usual suspects are already rounded up. Its also important to have high quality back links, there is a lot of speculation where, how and what the links can be but blogs (not automated) and social bookmarks would be a good examples.

Post by merchboer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:09 pm

bajaber wrote:Was just wondering regarding backlinks...I see so many adverts for 1000 backlinks for 9.99 etc. Do these actually help? Assuming I have done all the above, do these backlinks improve anything? Or does google & co know which sites are for backlink-selling companies and somehow ignore those backlinks?

Thanks
no they don't improve anything; Google is indeed constantly on the lookout for these kinds of deals/linkfarms etc... They might even get you a google penalty dropping in ranks.

Linkbuilding is hard, boring work, there is no easy way.

I likez teh beerz & foodz.

Location - Netherlands

Post by kedgetech » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:49 pm

@merchboer - Refer the link below.
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... links.html
yes they do. Good links improve ranking while bad links decrease. The above discussion is about the low-quality or dodgy back links that effecting ranking. The post is written by Kaspar Szymanski works within Google’s Search Quality Team.

Post by bajaber » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:30 pm

kedgetech wrote:@merchboer - Refer the link below.
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... links.html
yes they do. Good links improve ranking while bad links decrease. The above discussion is about the low-quality or dodgy back links that effecting ranking. The post is written by Kaspar Szymanski works within Google’s Search Quality Team.
Hi Kedgetech...I think merchboer meant that the bad links don't help anything.

I read that article, and did some further googling, and I think most of this cheap backlinking services are just automated and not really high quality.

I guess, a good site advertises itself. Less panicking for me and more working on improving the site from now onwards!

Post by Asthaseo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks Kedgetch.you are right ,These are the main points before doing off page optimization for a product base site.
kedgetech wrote:There is no consolidated list of things you can do that make you get good ranking in search engine. Apart from the things you already mentioned you can try the following to achieve better results.

Hope that helps.

Electricistas en Barcelona

Post by Linc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 am

I have a question though.. does link exchange really helpful to seo?

My website www.webhostpark.com

Post by bajaber » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Linc wrote:I have a question though.. does link exchange really helpful to seo?
It will depend on who you are exchanging the links with, and where they place the links. Original articles whose context is relevant to your link are good.

This is what google says...
Your site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to you. The quantity, quality, and relevance of links count towards your rating. The sites that link to you can provide context about the subject matter of your site, and can indicate its quality and popularity. However, some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. This is in violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results. Examples of link schemes can include:

Read more
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=66356

Post by merchboer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:51 pm

bajaber wrote:
Hi Kedgetech...I think merchboer meant that the bad links don't help anything.
indeed ;)

as for the sitemap; does OC generate a sitemap.xml that I can use with google webmasters?

I likez teh beerz & foodz.

Location - Netherlands

Post by BrianW » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:00 am

bajaber wrote:Was just wondering regarding backlinks...I see so many adverts for 1000 backlinks for 9.99 etc. Do these actually help? Assuming I have done all the above, do these backlinks improve anything? Or does google & co know which sites are for backlink-selling companies and somehow ignore those backlinks?
Technically, yes, buying lots of crummy backlinks *could* help your ranking. Most of those, however, are from shady low-quality directory sites that Google recognizes algorithmically and then ignores the benefit from them. It's also worth noting that paying for backlinks in that way is against Google's Webmaster Guideslines, and if you get caught by Google (or reported to Google by your competition) they could remove you from their index entirely.

Buying large volumes of low-quality backlinks can help, is considered a "black hat" technique, and comes with a decent amount of risk. If you really want to pay for links, however, buying a link on the Yahoo directory is one of the strongest backlinks you can get for Google (and, somehow, is perfectly okay).

The only safe way -- and the right way -- to build backlinks is to do it manually, without buying them, and trying to get them from sites that are relevant to what you do, or at least partially relevant.

Give a man a fire and you make him warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and you make him warm for the rest of his life.
http://www.awesomedice.com

Location - Massachusetts

Post by harishmanocha9839 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:34 am

bajaber wrote:

Hope that helps.
Thankyou, a very good information have got by you, here more quote is that which strategy is better ato get higher, onpage or offpage .

Hmm....good advice. Was just wondering regarding backlinks...I see so many adverts for 1000 backlinks for 9.99 etc. Do these actually help? Assuming I have done all the above, do these backlinks improve anything? Or does google & co know which sites are for backlink-selling companies and somehow ignore those backlinks?

Thanks

Coloring Pages | Seo Services | Website development | Article submission

Post by harishmanocha9839 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:37 am

for getting higher place i9nsearch engines seo is main concern.
but main thing is that how you hold the system
for doing a good seo you should do onpage and offpage seo both good.

Coloring Pages | Seo Services | Website development | Article submission