http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 42#p196942
This thread will be locked and retired
VERSION 1.2.3 Includes OpenCart AutoInstaller AND support for 1.5.x! (Thanks JayG)
DO NOT RUN AUTO-INSTALLER IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MANUALLY INSTALLED!
If you get Internal Server Error 500 when trying to install. Read here
I've finally followed through with an override idea and it seems to be working quite well for me in my testing.
Based on this discussion:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 38#p116440
I've completed the tool to allow virtually modifying files "on-the-fly" and aptly named it "VirtualQMod™" or "vQmod™" for short
How does it work?
- VirtualQMod (vQmod) is an innovative "virtual" override system. Instead of modifying core files like we normally do, vQmod allows you to keep all changes in an external file. This file gets parsed during page load and makes the modifications to the code as it loads. Instead of modifying actual files to add custom modifications, source files are parsed "on-the-fly" before the php include() or require() is called. The source is cloned to a temp file and modifications are made to that temp file, then substituted for the real file in the include path.
- No actual code changes are made. All changes are "virtual", hence the name.
- Modifications are stored in their own files and applied "on-the-fly" at runtime
- Instant Single file "plug-n-play". Add the file to apply the mod, remove the file to remove the mod.
- No worries about losing custom core changes during upgrades
- Multiple modifications can be made to the same file without conflict
- Easily update or enhance customizations without having to edit any code
- Full visual of the actual changes taking place in the generated temp files for debugging
- Fails gracefully back to the original sourcefile if there is an error
- Exceptional logging option to track every change made
- Only need to modify the index.php file to add the vQmod code one time.
- Simple structured xml format. (See readme for full breakdown of xml syntax)
- Multiple options for find/replace, regex, positions, offsets, indexing, error handling, and more!
It includes some example scripts as well that you can use right out of the box and see results. Be sure to read the readme for the full breakdown and install steps.
This is beneficial for both developers and mod users to make mods that don't have to modify files to cut down on issues and support.
In the coming days I will create a vqmod xml script generator. This will allow you to enter basic file/search/add data and generate the formatted xml so it will be even easier to make mod scripts.
* @author Qphoria <Qphoria-at-gmail.com>
* @copyright Copyright (c) 2010-2011
* @license http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php GNU Public License
* @website http://www.vQmod.com