Post by simple_one » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:45 pm

here is the final part of getting the website ready for live production when I come to a standstill.

Shipping...

Couple of things have got me concerned. firstly the zones...

there is a preset number of zones for New Zealand but they are limited. and I can-not seem to find where to add new zones short of editing the db's

next is methods can-not be duplicated.

for example I would like to split nz into 2 shipping zones with north island zones separate from south island one's

hence north = auckland , wellington , etc
south = christchurch , dunedin , etc

added to this we have what is called rural area's (country inland zones) these are often charged at a slightly more expensive rate due to them not being near CBD (central business distrcts) and hence there is a need for 2 extra zones.

North island std rate $5.00
North Island rural rate +$5.00 ($10.00)

south Island std rate $10.00
South Island rural rate +$5.00 ($15.00)

Need for aditional cities(states) within zones.
Need for use of multiple shipping methods.

any idea's on what can be done here?

cheers

Nz Shipping problems maybe resolved here.

Post by simple_one » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:22 am

bump bump. I noticed that the shipping threads are not often answered.

could someone please explain some way of at least setting up 2 separate shipping zones within one country , and how to add more cities (states) to that country?.

New Zealand , North Island/South Island , North consists of around 15 Cities , south of around 10

North to be charged at say $5.00 / south @ $10.00

can this be done , if so...how?

cheers

Iam beginning to think that I found an area that needs development. And is crucial in releasing a NZ product store.
O0

Post by simple_one » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 am

Just had a quick squizz @ the weight Based Shipping Module. which again seems locked to a particular country rather then to the zones of that country. :\

and a looksee at the zones , which perhaps needs a filter of some sort to get to the right country without clicking through 20 Pages with the Prefix for 'A' etc. only to go through another 20 for 'B' yay finally found what I was looking for on page 122.

future reference add &page=122 to the URL for NZ.

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:47 am

don't see why you are having such a hard time with the countries and zones. Maybe you missed the insert button at the top of the page. You can create new countries in the countries page, and you can create new "states" in the zones page There is no way to do cities currently, but I think you'll find this pretty common in most ecommerce packages. Secondly the shipping modules are not locked to countries they are locked to geo-zones which you can setup with any kind of combination of country/zone(state) you can think of.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by simple_one » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:36 pm

ok states can be cities in fact thats what i use for all other carts.

the problem is there is only one shipping Method for use in each category , flat-rate , weight etc.

here in lies the problem.

other carts that I use for example hikashop have an option to duplicate these shipping categories if needed.

sure it's no big deal to setup a flat-rate shipping method and assign it to a country with individual states as sub-locations.

but try and split a country in 2 and see what you can do with the options available ;)

not possible unless you manually duplicate the shipping method only then can you have country + zones for one 1/2 of the country and another bunch of zones under the same country for them.

even by duplication Iam not sure if it will correctly pickup the 'states' / 'country' correctly by doing so. Fingers crossed as this is what I am attempting to do at the moment.

perhaps you know a better way of doing this seemingly simple task with the options available, I can't seem to do it and Ive used just about every cart worth using on the web.

Cheers.
???

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:36 pm

have a look at Q's commercial shipping mods. I think he has one that can handle multiple zones.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by simple_one » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:57 am

Unfortunately even `Q` does not have a module for this kind of thing. Thanks for your input all the same.

will see if this Duplicate module caper works.

Post by Sherrikea » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:32 am

simple_one wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:22 am
could someone please explain some way of at least setting up 2 separate shipping zones within one country , and how to add more cities (states) to that country?.
New Zealand , North Island/South Island , North consists of around 15 Cities , south of around 10
North to be charged at say $5.00 / south @ $10.00
can this be done , if so...how?

O0
Just wondering if you ever sorted this. I just set up shipping and found that the above is possible by regions.
In localisation, for example, I created a geo zone called "All NZ" and then used the + sign to add all the New Zealand regions that automatically came with Opencart.
Explained on this page:
http://docs.opencart.com/en-gb/system/l ... /geo-zone/
Having created my new geo zone and added, in my case, every region of NZ, I saved it then went to Extensions - Shipping, where I chose the "flat rate" option and edited it, choosing my new All NZ geo zone. Once saved, it did show up correctly in checkout.
I haven't tried to create city zones but try that some time.
Hope this helps someone.