Post by TAC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:17 am

Hi,

I have searched the forums etc. and cannot find the answer to my question which is:

Is it possible, or even allowed, to remove references to "Opencart" from Admin? I want to build a site for a client and let them add & remove products and alter prices but nothing else. And I don't want them to know I have used Opencart ;)

If it is possible can someone please tell me how. I am new to this and don't understand code so the simpler the better. I am using v1.4.9.1

Thank you in advance :)

TAC

Location - England

Post by MrConn » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:51 am

It is possible, yes.
But if you are "selling" OpenCart to your client, you have to inform them that you are in fact using OpenCart, and that it is a free software that they can download and install for them selves.
If you

Nemmelig.no - Billige Gadgets!

Post by TAC » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:03 am

Thank you for your reply.

I am not 'selling' the software to them. I am building their site using OpenCart and want them to have admin access to alter prices, add/delete products etc. They will not have access to the files, css etc.

If it is possible are you able to tell me how to do it?

Thanks again :)

TAC

Location - England

Post by MrConn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:15 am

Well... In my opinion this sounds like a "sale" of OpenCart as your own service...
You are going to supply your client with OpenCart, a free opensource software, and will be getting paid for it...

This is as far as I can tell a violation of the GPL, so I will NOT be helping you with your "problem"!

Hopefully noone else will help you with the issue either.

Post by TAC » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:47 am

Ok, I obviously don't fully understand how this works.

If I make a site for a client I thought I was getting paid for my time and design abilities not the software. For example if I built a site in Dreamweaver the client wouldn't have to buy a copy of DW. I would just design the site, upload it, maintain it and then get paid for my efforts - not the software.

I thought that's what I'd be doing with OpenCart. Build them a site, upload it, maintain the structure whilst they maintain the products. I would get paid for my time and any design elements and not the software. I am not trying to pass the software off as my own. I just don't want the client to be able to go into OpenCart, start messing about with things and then come back to me to sort it all out. (I know my client well and that is what they would do. Not in an attempt to do the site themselves just to poke their nose in.)

If it's not possible then fine. My question began with "Is it possible, or even allowed..." as I was not sure and have no intention of violating anything.

I like OpenCart but the forums are a disappointment. I've had to solve most of my own posted problems, some remain unanswered after weeks. When I do get an answer to this post it is hostile and accusatory. I've even read posts where people who aren't able to code etc. are called "Riff-Raff".

Feels like OpenCart is really only for expert developers/coders (whatever you are called) and not for the general website building public. Again, I obviously don't fully understand how this works.

I tried ZenCart but found it too confusing but questions on the forums were answered politely and with an understanding of levels of ability.

TAC

Location - England

Post by MrConn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 am

This has nothing to do with being polite or not...

You are in fact allowed to sell OpenCart! But only if you inform your customer/client that what you are selling is a opensource application that he in fact can download and install on his own - FOR FREE!

What ppl usually are getting paid for is, as you say, theyr time and effort in setting up the webshop to theyr clients needs.

But I think that it is wrong to remove the "Powered By" from the admin-area in any case!

Post by Qphoria » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:33 am

There is no law that says TAC can't sell this. If he wants to use OpenCart as his own brand with his own modifications, he can certainly do that and remove all words that say "OpenCart".

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:02 am

Really? I thought it was part of the GPL that he was at least obliged to tell his client that he was using OpenCart and provide the source code. I've only glanced over the GPL, but that was my impression from other discussions on this topic.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:35 am

I believe you only need to keep the credits in the source code. But most clients paying to have a site made won't be checking the source.

There are already a few rebranded opencart companies out there:
http://www.shopmate.co.nz/

Administrator

Post by TAC » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 am

It's not so much that I don't want them to know I am using OpenCart - it won't mean a thing to them. I just don't want them to be able to click on the Help link, go to the OpenCart site, start looking around and then think they might alter something and then it all go wrong and they come to me to fix it.

Thanks for the further replies :)

TAC

Location - England

Post by billyggla » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:53 am

Qphoria wrote:There is no law that says TAC can't sell this. If he wants to use OpenCart as his own brand with his own modifications, he can certainly do that and remove all words that say "OpenCart".
Qphoria is right, he can sell it if he wants (if he is selling it).
His only obligation is to keep the credits in the source and give the client a copy of the licence..
Immoral but not illegal.

Anyway you will find the code for that in
/admin/view/template/common/header.tpl

If someone was selling it (I'm not sying you are) a donation to opencart might ease their concience..

EDIT: if you dont want them messing with the cade dont give them ftp access..

Post by TAC » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Thank you for your helpful answers.

I think part of my problem is that I am still very new at this. I'm thinking that perhaps I am worrying too much about what a client could get at if they have access to admin?

Am I right that if I give them a username & password to login to admin and have set them up as a user with limited access & modify permissions they won't be able to mess with anything anyway?

TAC

Location - England

Post by SapporoGuy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:15 am

I'm not a lawyer ... so ... with that in mind.

It was my understanding too, that as long as you keep the source code files with the information regarding opencart intact you are pretty much free to do what you want.

I have never come across the give the license to the end buyer but I guess that normally happens when you look directory structure.

Interesting to note is that I have not come across one commented source file yet.

Also, the creator of opencart Daniel has been very good at allowing folks to cut the powered by footer.

However, since you did get paid to do this for them you should expect some sort of assistance unless you make that clear from the start.

Also, giving back to the community as in donations, edited source code and such is normal procedure for most places.

-------
Anyway, you might want to recreate a dumbed down version of the admin for your client, and work on the filtering some of the configuration settings for them too.

930sc ... because it is fun!

Post by TAC » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks for the further help. I've not actually been paid for this work so I'm not guilty of anything yet ;)

I've been working with this client for years and they are typical 'give them an inch and they take a yard' types. I even had to write to them and explain why I could not work for them any more. But they came back for a new website. Only because I charged them hardly anything last time. I did suggest they get someone else but they probably got a shock at the prices.

The only reason I agreed again was because I am very short of money and I want the e-commerce experience. At least if they don't pay this time I will know not to upload their new site :laugh:

I intend to contribute to OpenCart as soon as I am able but offering "edited source code" will be way beyond me I'm afraid! If i truly get to grips with OpenCart I hope I might be able to build templates.

Thanks again :)

TAC

Location - England

Post by SapporoGuy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:52 pm

I got screwed before at another cart site for paid work. So, I know the feeling.
I do suggest to get paid 50% up front, 25% to see the demo on your site and final 25% once you've installed or 50% on installation. That way at least, you're only out half of your payment.

In my opinion, contributing can be on different levels. Most think of donations or code, but helping other users here at the forums, bug reporting and input of ideas and comments are also types of contributing ;D
For the first few years that was all I could do ... now, I can do a bit more :D

930sc ... because it is fun!