Post by RHTDM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:00 am

Hello Friends,

I want to use SEO option for my site. In my site I am getting 2 files. One is .htaccess & Second one is .htaccess.TXT So I am confused now what to do in this case? When I click on USE SEO URL’s as Yes then it shows 404 error after opening the product. It will be appreciable if you provide support in this case.

Regards
Vilas

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:23 am

your hosting probably already had a .htaccess file. the easies thing to do would be to rename .htaccess to .htaccess.old then rename .htaccess.TXT to .htaccess If you still have problems you may need to look at the old .htaccess file and see if there was anything in it that needs to be merged into the new one.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by RHTDM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi

In .htacess.txt below text is given"# 1.To use URL Alias you need to be running apache with mod_rewrite enabled.

# 2. In your opencart directory rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess.

# For any support issues please visit: http://www.opencart.com

Options +FollowSymlinks

# Prevent Directoy listing
Options -Indexes

# Prevent Direct Access to files
<FilesMatch "\.(tpl|ini)">
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

# SEO URL Settings
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)\?*$ index.php?_route_=$1 [L,QSA]"

& In

.htaccess file below text is given"""""

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>

""

Please let me know what to do? If I click on SEO URL's through server tab to yes then I am getting 404 Error.

Regards
Vilas
Last edited by RHTDM on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Xsecrets wrote:the easies thing to do would be to rename .htaccess to .htaccess.old then rename .htaccess.TXT to .htaccess

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by RHTDM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Dear Friend,

But have you checked text what mentioned in both the files?

Regards
Vilas

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 pm

unless something breaks don't worry about what is in both files just do what I suggested. If that doesn't work I'll bother looking at what might be the problem otherwise just use the one that's included with opencart.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by RHTDM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Dear Xsecrets ,

I did same as suggested by you. But still its not working. After entering whole product name same as product in google then also its not showing store url.

Please suggest solution thanks in advance.

Regards
Vilas

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm guessing your url is letsbuyproducts.com if so everything seems to be working just fine to me.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by RHTDM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Dear Friend,

Yes it works fine but main issue is that my listed products are not appearing in google search. So that is the reason I am requesting you the solution.

Regards
Vilas

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:38 pm

ok then I do not understand what it is you are wanting if the url's work then they work what is it that you want?

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by RHTDM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:21 am

Hi

I means to say suppose if I list a product for sale on my site with name XYZ . If someone want to buy it then if he enter buy XYZ then he is not getting my product in search result. Suppose if you have any product on your website then same product can be searched through google. If he not have your website link. Hope it will clear.

Regards
Vilas

Post by barnesnet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:46 am

Your products will not be shown on google searches immediately. You will have to wait for the google bots to crawl your site.
You will also need to submit your site to google so that they can start crawling it.
It sounds like everything is working, you just need to have google crawl and index your site and products.
I hope this helps

Simon

Post by RHTDM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:38 am

Hi

Thanks friend. But how to submit our link to google?

Thanks
Vilas

Post by barnesnet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:34 am

No problem,
Simply visit http://www.google.co.uk/addurl
Fill in your website url and comments if you wish, hit ‘add url’

Then just be patient, it might happen overnight, it might take 2 weeks, but eventually they will crawl your site and index all the pages.
They will then revisit occasionally and update the index. Eventually your products will be included in google searches.

You can also create a ‘google account’ and within webmaster tools you can submit a sitemap. Looks tricky but is easier than it first appears.
I will help if you need it.

Good luck.

Post by RHTDM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi

Thanks friend. I did the same. I have one query there is one website which is created with Opencart in that if you check product link http://www.estockmall.com/index.php?rou ... uct_id=152 is not a friend url then how is it appearing in google searches? I think he not choosen option of SEO URl to yes.

Regards
Vilas

Post by barnesnet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:39 pm

I might be wrong (please someone correct me) but I think non SEO links can still be found by google etc, its just that SEO urls obviously contain keywords or product names / models which will make the results show easier.
i.e using the link you supplied above:
the link refers to a product i.d in this case 152 which doesn’t mean anything to anyone and will not show up simply by searching.
This was probably listed on google because they read the metadata in the page:

Code: Select all

<meta name="keywords" content="GFive U909 dual Sim mobile" />
<meta name="description" content="Gfive U909 is a Bar phone weighing 74.5g. It′s dimensions are 108.67MM x 47.72MM x 12.95MM . The talk-time of the phone is Up to 500 minutes. The phone operates at frequencies of GSM 900 / 1800 Mhz | GSM 850 / 1900 Mhz. The Phone has a Display of 2.0 Inch" />
Now if the page had an SEO url it might have read: http://www.estockmall.com/GFive_U99_dual_Sim_mobile
So if someone searched for 'gfive u99’ google would list this url and highlight the same keywords in the url as well as the description (they don’t show the metadata just work from it).
Both methods will get the product listed on search engines but SEO is as the name suggests ‘optimised’ and should show easier and could affect ranking etc. Not only that, for me at least I prefer the SEO urls as you can usually see what the link is likely to show before you click on it.

I think any web page, no matter how it has been written or what type of url it has can get listed with google etc, it depends on so many variables like, other sites linking to it, text in the description, metadata, images, etc.
The only thing you can do is try and optimise the site as much as possible and have good content which people will use, navigate, and link back to which will create natural interest and link backs etc. This will ultimately increase ranking. You cannot force any website to rank number one in normal searches. Adwords however I think can be different.

From my own experience I would say don’t worry too much about google results as they can take time to show and update. produce your site correct in the first place. I changed things including SEO url wording once and obviously this ended up with google having outdated links to my site for a while until they were updated.
Use sensible names in SEO urls, fill in the keywords etc and have a good description. Once crawled several times google take care of the rest.
I my self need to go back through my site and edit all the product and category keywords as I rushed them.
Good luck friend.

Post by RHTDM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi

I tried same for my website product. Means copy pasting text into google but that no appeares. So what you think?

Regards
Vilas

Post by barnesnet » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:57 pm

If you have submitted your site to google, it sounds like you simply need to wait for google to pick up your pages.
If you go to google and search: search “site:yourcardsitename.co.uk” (your web domain without the http or www. prefixed with ‘site:’) they will show a list of all the results they hold on that domain.
I tried with your real address and there are no listings at the moment.

Post by jty » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:04 pm

barnesnet wrote:I might be wrong (please someone correct me) but I think non SEO links can still be found by google etc, its just that SEO urls obviously contain keywords or product names / models which will make the results show easier.
Most definitely you are correct
SEO URLs is just the URL, search engines can index any kind of URL
There is no magic button that we can press that will instantly put us on Google page 1.

If your domain name is new, this is the time to do "off-line" marketing, pay-per-clicks, other traditional means of advertising and write content. "Content is KIng", seo URLs is just another factor in the equation but Content is King.
Relying solely on Google is not something I recommend as there are many experiences where sites drop off Google. If that happened and one was solely relying on Google, one could be very well stuffed. I have had the experience.
Google should find your site within a couple of weeks but that doesn't mean buyers will find you as you may be sitting on page 20 for a keyword/phrase and not many are patient enough to go that far to find you.

It takes time to build a business and time is measured in years.

jty

Post by RHTDM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi

Ok means you want to say use google adwords like that for promoting site?

Regards
Vilas