Post by vimal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 am

Hello All,

I am disappointed with one of the forum members. He had an ad asking for help with a template. I replied. Gave a quote and he agreed to that quote. He asked me to make a custom template. I spent good 3 days to make a custom template for him. I send him the snapshots and everything is good. Template done!

Now when its time for him to pay for the template (after which I email him the files) he is ignoring my emails and not replying. Last few emails...no reply. I had agreed to help him to install the template for him in opencart. As he said he is really new to opencart. I don't get the ftp details and the shop account details to install the cart....no email no news...

I feel quite bad and don't know what to do.

Regards,
Vimal.

www.beeshop.se
Starta webbshop, Starta e-butik, Starta e-handel

Location - Sweden

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:41 am

ALWAYS get the money upfront. Or at least 60%

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:56 am

My payment terms usually depends on two factors
Is this a job where you can set up a test site to show the working product for a client without having to give them the source code?

If yes then for smaller projects (under $150) I generally get a 50% deposit before work and 50% upon completion, and then hand over the code (or upload it for them, whatever the case may be). For anything over $150 you need to split it into chunks so that the client doesn't feel they're paying too much capital without anything being done yet. So have a chunk up front, complete a little, show whats been done so far, then request the next payment, let them see whats been done and so on and so forth. Once the full project is complete you get the final payment and hand over the code again

For jobs where the code is on their site, either duplicate their site onto your own server, and work like above, or get the money before committing to any work. If it's a large project, work in chunks but only work for what you've been paid for so far, taking the chunks before finishing any of it. The smaller the chunks the better in this situation, as both you and the client will feel more at ease

If you've done work for the client before, you can of course change this slightly (so working then getting paid is fine), but just remember that doing a $200 job then not getting paid is not nice, so be cautious with bigger jobs, so you need to go with your gut on this

What you've done I personally find a really poor way of doing business. You've basically set yourself up with no leverage whatsoever. The client can just wander off and you have no way of controlling if they use your code, hence why you should set up a test site. If you have to, use screen recording on your localhost with a copy of OC and the theme, and go through the pages recording at the same time, and send your client that. Never just hand over everything. Whilst your kind nature and thinking the best of everyone is admirable, sooner or later this kind of thing is bound to happen :(

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by vimal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:12 am

It was not a huge sum. Hence didn't bother to get a deposit. For big jobs ofcourse I get 50% percent deposit.

The person doesn't have the template. I have only shown him the screenshots of the template. And he approved saying the template is good and complete. The only thing remaining is that he pays me and then gets the template files from me.

But lesson learnt..no matter how small the job...always get a 50% deposit before starting...

I hope others don't get in a similar situation...I will send emails to him again...if he still doesn't respond, I will warn people on doing business with him....may be give his name...

www.beeshop.se

Location - Sweden

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:16 am

Another good tip is to become a forum admin and ban his ass all over :)

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:19 am

Well it would certainly annoy the user, I don't think banning would be too much of a big deal, if it was the other way round, I think the implications are greater, that is if you do work for an admin of a forum, or they do it for you, they're far more likely to be trusted with the payment/work simply because they don't want to be discredited on a forum where they are a respected member

Guru Member

Post by vimal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:22 am

Email sent..lets see if he replies...

www.beeshop.se

Location - Sweden

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:32 am

JAY6390 wrote:Well it would certainly annoy the user, I don't think banning would be too much of a big deal, if it was the other way round, I think the implications are greater, that is if you do work for an admin of a forum, or they do it for you, they're far more likely to be trusted with the payment/work simply because they don't want to be discredited on a forum where they are a respected member
Nah.. if i want to rip them off I'll just ban em so they can't complain!
BANS FOR EVERYONE!!! MUHAHAHAHAHA O0

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:34 am

:D haha that's the spirit!

Guru Member

Post by twiggy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Like the guys say always get a deposit. Also for the larger projects set 'milestones' where say after first design pay xx% after code is complete pay xx%

To be honest I don't take to much work from the opencart forum (not all, I have got some very good repeat customers from the OC forums) as a lot of it seems to be young people who always call you 'dude' wanting you to do a complete opencart design for $20, its just not worth your time even answering the e-mail. Plus they want it done in 2h's.

Try to stay away from anyone who mentions 'i'm on a tight budget' or 'i have little cash' its only going to end in tears, if the client doesn't value your time then they wont value your work.

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:21 am

agreed with twiggy 100%

Administrator

Post by vimal » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Ok guys I have tried enough. I give up..

The guy is named "revolution" on the forum. I noticed now that he is smart enough to never give his real name in all the emails we exchanged...

www.beeshop.se

Location - Sweden

Post by peteVA » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:26 am

The idea of a forum admin or mod using his position to settle personal issues is repellent. That should never be the case and would certainly result in a lack of trust and legitimacy to the entire forum.

If anyone is assumed to be neutral in their judgments and actions it should be those in authority.

However, Name and Shame by the stiffed individual should be encouraged, as long as the one being shamed has a chance to rebut the claims.

I agree in all that has been said about getting the money up front, or agreeing on percentages paid as specific benchmarks are achieved. These are business transactions and should be conducted as such.

But if revolution did take advantage of your "forum mate" attitude, you should shout it loud and clear to all who will listen.

My topic line will usually start with - "Warning - do not do business with so-and-so." And I will make no bones about the action they did or did not take regarding a transaction. There are always some on forums who are more than willing to take advantage of those they can, and a warning based on fact is clearly within your rights.

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!