Post by asrekdal » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:50 am

Hi,

can someone give a brief explaination of Geo Zones?

Post by bruce » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:27 am

Geo zones are named groups of one or more zones that are combined for some purpose and can be applied to payment or shipping extensions and to tax rates (under Tax Class in localisation menu).

For example, you may offer free postage within a certain zone that is local to you (eg South Australia, geo zone called perhaps "Local Postage") and charge for all others in the same country ( the zones in the rest of Australia, geo zone called perhaps "Postage Applies").

Then you can define a "Free Postage" (rate = $0) shipping extension that applies only to the "Local Postage" geo zone and another "Fixed Postage Rate" (rate = $4.50 or whatever) that applies to the "Postage Applies" geo zone.

Now when a customer places an order, if the customer shipping address is in say, South Australia, the shipping option that will be displayed is "Free Postage", if the shipping address is somewhere in Australia but not South Australia, the "Fixed Postage Rate" shipping option will be displayed. You could extend the idea to determine different rates for each state.

HTH

Post by fisher318 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:12 am

Ok, what if I have different tax amounts based on differing cities and counties in Colorado? For example. If someone buys from me here in Castle Rock, Colorado, USA, I have to charge 7.5% tax. If they buy within my county, Douglas County, but not in my city of Castle Rock, then my tax I have to charge them is only 3.9%. Then if they don't live in my county, but still live in the state of Colorado, then they pay a tax of 2.9%. So how would I set that up?

Then for shipping. Obviously shipping costs vary by postal code and weight. So how do we figure out shipping costs? Are we supposed to create 1 GEO Zone for each state, based on an assumed approximate postage? Seems like this little feature is the only thing stopping this shopping cart from being the best one on the market. =)

Denver Colorado Web Site Design and Internet Marketing | Tactical Flashlights

Post by bruce » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:26 am

The functionality is there, only the documentation is missing.

You set up a geo zone for each tax rate that you need to charge. Then add each tax rate to the Taxable goods tax class and make it apply only to the appropriate geo zone. Have a look here http://www.opencart.com/contribution/in ... tion_id/31 for instructions on how to set it up.

Post by ianr » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:13 am

bruce wrote: Have a look here http://www.opencart.com/contribution/in ... tion_id/31 for instructions on how to set it up.

Just add .zip to the end after download in case anyone else runs into this.