Post by Nayar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:43 am

May peace be upon you.

This is my first post here. I must say i am really impressed with Open Cart. It is really nice to handle. I love it :)
Hope to be active here 8)

Concerning this website, i must say the forum software sucks. I would want the staffs to consider MyBB

It is much more user friendly.

Regards
Nayar
Last edited by i2Paq on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link adjusted

Post by Qphoria » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:44 pm

I do agree.. but it will likely never happen

Administrator

Post by Nayar » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:27 pm

MyBB has a merge system from phpBB.

Lets hope it might happen one day :)

Post by HTMLCSSNoob » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:04 am

Nayar wrote:Concerning this website, i must say the forum software sucks. I would want the staffs to consider MyBB
I thought phpBB3 was supposed to be "the" forum software. Why is MyBB better in your opinion?

Post by Nayar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:30 am

It was THE forum software.I still got great respect for it.
But time has changed. MyBB got a better interface which uses AJAX technology e.g. in quick reply. phpBB doesn't has it.

People even shift from vB to MyBB and they are very happy with it.

Post by HTMLCSSNoob » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:33 am

Nayar wrote:It was THE forum software.I still got great respect for it.
But time has changed. MyBB got a better interface which uses AJAX technology e.g. in quick reply. phpBB doesn't has it.

People even shift from vB to MyBB and they are very happy with it.
To be honest I had never heard of it until I read your post, but i'm looking over their website and it seems pretty nice.

Can I ask you, Is it easy to customize or style? Is it user friendly? I kinda find phpBB3 a bit more challenging.

Post by mystifier » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:07 am

I have never come across MyBB before. I run a forum attached to a Wordpress site using BBPress which has never really taken hold and support is poor.

It looks good, I think I will try it. I found phpBB to be a bit too heavyweight.

Free v1.4.9 Extensions: Default Specials | Improved Search | Customer Activity Report | Customer Groups | Royal Mail With Handling | Improved Product Page | Random Products | Stock Report | All Products

Post by Nayar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:45 pm

MyBB is the best.

I made a Facebook Connect Plugin for it recently. It is quite a success.

Post by SapporoGuy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:41 am

I've always like vB ... don't know why.

myBB, first time I've heard of it.
Dang, speed is just a tad faster than phpBB 1.4 (Yes, that is 1.4)
Even looks like 1.4 phpBB .... I wonder if the original developer forked back?

I've also like vanilla. Just something about that forum, really can't put my finger on it but ... do like it.

simple (what ever) ... not really.
iP board ... never got into it.
And oodles and oodles of other boards that should remain buried in history like phorum. << this one never did like.

OHHHH! NO myBB is not phpBB and never was.
Maybe, a tad but more like a cart that was to challenge phpBB and back in the day wasn't GPL if I remember right.
XMB, even back in the day was faster than phpBB.

hmmm, myBB is GPL ;) You can sell it and produce off shoots off it and sell those without worrying about the GPL luggage. ;D

@ Q

So, why is this a no go?
That board is like blazing fast. (lolo, wasn't there a forum with that name too? :choke: )

I do say that hitting this board here is really a drag since I spend a lot of time waiting.
And waiting to post.

930sc ... because it is fun!

Post by SapporoGuy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:55 am

Wow!

myBB is looking to be the free vB contender on the market.

So, why again was phpBB chosen in the first place?

Post by marc_cole » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:16 am

I don't have a preference one way or the other on switching, however if MyBB handles the following, I'll add my vote for changing:
  • when I click 'View unread posts', I would like to see only the posts in my language
  • it would be nice to have the 'Mark forums read' link on the View unread posts page so we don't have to go back to the board index to click it
Anyway, that's my 2¢.

Marc

OpenCart v1.4.9.4
VQMod | Categories Home | Cleaner By Default - 2 Column | Speak Good English

Location - Seattle, WA

Post by SapporoGuy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:47 pm

I miss the hover over that vB has, myBB has this too!

This let's you see part of the thread so can decide to waste time on reading it or not.
Besides, this saves bandwidth which saves electricity and makes it ECO friendly.

I wonder how many of you have heard of uBB or have even used it ;)

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I wouldn't mind seeing Vanilla used too! Not as feature rich but it is MVC based ;) ;) ;)

Post by caleb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:47 pm

Everyone does know where MyBB came from right??? Does it make you wonder why it looks just like vBulletin 3.8??? Sorry, but I can't support stolen software :) As much as I hate phpbb, I'm glad to see OC not using MyBB.

Post by Nayar » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:33 pm

caleb wrote:Everyone does know where MyBB came from right??? Does it make you wonder why it looks just like vBulletin 3.8??? Sorry, but I can't support stolen software :) As much as I hate phpbb, I'm glad to see OC not using MyBB.
Your opinion. Nothing we can do about.

If MyBB had vB codes, vB would have taken actions themselves.

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:02 am

I like vB best.. and it should be since it is a commercial system
IPB is also decent.. tho some dislike it.
SMF came from the back and took over phpbb and IPB for me. Their modification system was unlike any other. The ability to upload zip files, or pull directly from a host wins for me and its something no other forum system has that I've seen. Their license is just a bit annoying.

The old opencart forum was SMF and things were much easier for moderators and adding new forum features. phpbb2 was the pioneer in the free forum world, but phpbb3 is a joke.. too many landing pages, the bbcode is terrible.. you can't highlight a line and click "B" and "U". You have to highlight each time between each formatting option. No other forum has that problem and I don't remember phpbb2 having that issue.

phpbb3 moderators have confirmed that their search is a joke and only meant to search single words and not phrases, but most single words error out saying they are too common or not long enough, so I had to add google sitesearch to the forum to make it usable.

Also no color inside [code] tags is a major disappointment. SMF has a simple mod for that.. one-click install and done. I've searched and asked countless times on the phpbb forums for that and they all seem confused.

phpbb3 is the new low-end for me and with the latest captcha and forum password issues we've been having here I recommended we switch back to SMF or some other forum when 1.5.0 comes out and just use this one as an archive for older versions.

I've never looked beyond the 4 main forums (vB, IPB, SMF, and phpbb). MyBB and all the others out there may have made major milestones while no one was looking... but phpbb3 has taken many steps back for me.

Administrator

Post by marc_cole » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:09 am

Qphoria wrote:Also no color inside

Code: Select all

tags is a major disappointment.[/quote]
This may not be what you're talking about, but if you use [code=php] it will color code it for you.

OpenCart v1.4.9.4
VQMod | Categories Home | Cleaner By Default - 2 Column | Speak Good English

Location - Seattle, WA

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:19 am

marc_cole wrote:
Qphoria wrote:Also no color inside

Code: Select all

tags is a major disappointment.[/quote]
This may not be what you're talking about, but if you use [code=php] it will color code it for you.[/quote]

Yea I added that already as a button to the editor (tho the latest phpbb upgrade broke it again) but that is only for php

Sometimes its nice to use code tags and colorize the area you are changing. You can fake it with the quote button now but it loses some formatting:

[quote]if ($x == '123') {[/quote]

[quote]if ($x == '[color=#FF0000]ABC[/color]') {[/quote]

But I lived by that feature in SMF and many other addons.

Administrator

Post by Nayar » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:37 am

MyBB got voted as the best forum of year 2010 leaving SMF much behind: http://www.forum-software.org/vote-best ... re-of-2010

Post by SapporoGuy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:16 am

I forgot where I read about the vB / myBB issue.
Possibly on the myBB site.

Yes, they did use ("similar/same") code and vB did raise an issue with this.
However, myBB apparently solved the problem and the both have moved on it seems.

I did read that vB and myBB share a "similar" db structure and it was said that they have similar speeds due to that.

code theft ... hmmm, out right theft, I agree and think it is wrong.
However, run some searches on code. It's amazing by how much is so similar. Makes you wonder ...

@ phpBB as a pioneer?
Well, after 1.4 was handed over to start 2.0 ... sure, but there where already about 10 that people were using back then. About 4-5 of them were perl demons ;D

But I'd put uBB (commercial) and phorum (free) as being the pioneers.

@ switch
How about getting vanila to switch to opencarts MVC-L framework :drunk:
That would be revolutionary !

Post by Qphoria » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:53 am

SapporoGuy wrote: @ phpBB as a pioneer?
Well, after 1.4 was handed over to start 2.0 ... sure, but there where already about 10 that people were using back then. About 4-5 of them were perl demons ;D
Back when the internet came out.. they were THE forum as I remember it.. dont think there was anything else..

it was
phpbb - the only community forum
oscommerce - the only community cart
geocities - the only good free personal page site
hotmail - the only good free email site (boy were we wrong)

Administrator