Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:34 am

Just a brief warning: It looks like the opencart.com website has been compromised, currently there is a spammer posting messages on the OpenCart marketplace comments sections for most extensions, see for example below screenshot. For the extension authors please check your comments sections, perhaps it may also be a good idea to get in touch with the OpenCart support on this, too.

Attachments

Screenshot_2021-02-20_16-22-51.png

spam messages in comments section - Screenshot_2021-02-20_16-22-51.png (80.44 KiB) Viewed 241 times

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:07 am

Yes, it has been noticed. However, this warning should be posted on Github as well to ensure Daniel is notified about it.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Johnathan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:03 pm

I've been reporting them to the OpenCart support team, and they're removing them after that, but they're a bit behind the spammer. Hopefully they'll implement new protections soon, so that this doesn't keep happening.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:42 pm

We reported it to the OpenCart support as well. At the moment, this spambot re-posts his spam message every day, sometimes every other hour.

I wonder why no other extension authors care about this.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus

Expert Member

Post by DigitCart » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Hi

I've already reported it to the OpenCart support team too.
Today I've got many spam comments from a new spammer.

Attachments

new-spammer-in-town.png

new-spammer-in-town.png (22.75 KiB) Viewed 150 times

My Extensions / DigitCart

Post by nickpapoutsis » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 am

I have been deleting these for a couple of days now. They post 5-10 times per day across most of my extensions.

Since it's always the same thing, some text with a link (some times it's a cutt.ly short url which I have reported) it shouldn't be that hard to deploy countermeasures such as filtering for the exact link, limiting the number of times a user can post, disabling links in the comments, etc.

Post by Naheed » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:30 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:34 am
Just a brief warning: It looks like the opencart.com website has been compromised, currently there is a spammer posting messages on the OpenCart marketplace comments sections for most extensions, see for example below screenshot. For the extension authors please check your comments sections, perhaps it may also be a good idea to get in touch with the OpenCart support on this, too.
Yes, you are right, I have seen this issue also on other pages too.
I don't know but still, Opencart is unable to stop this spamming.
As @johnathan has stated new protections are in pipeline and it
will be tackled very soon.

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:54 am

Today there were 2 new messages from the same spammer, they are probably also there on all of the OC extensions comments sections.

Come on, OpenCart, a simple anti-spambot tool or captcha will do, it's not that hard to implement!

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus

Expert Member