Post by montanaflynn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:09 pm

I think almost everyone agrees that shorter more information rich URLs are important. For google, for users, for your eyes. When and how will opencart bring this to the table? I have tried a thousand different regular expressions in my .htaccess file and they all break the cart and product seo keywords.

Here is how I think it should be done:

We need to take the URI add www. and remove everything but the last /foo

domain.com/index.php?route=common/home (home is foo)

needs to change to

www.domain.com/home

Can this be done in htaccess? I know I couldn't figure it out.

User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:19 am

Post by Xsecrets » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:35 pm

no it can't be done in .htaccess alone.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 am
Location - FL US

Post by Yakiv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:31 am

I began searching the forums on this and found this thread already in place, on the topic. So, I will express my disappointment a bit here. OpenCart advertises itself as having SEO friendly URL's. ...Some of the URL's are SEO friendly and a whole lot are not. ...So, what is wrong? I do have it turned on and I have my .htaccess in place. ...Has anyone gotten this to work properly? ...My vanilla installation is all in English, so nothing should be causing an issue there. ...I am concerned about when I begin to test Cyrillic, but the English needs to be working first.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:31 pm

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:23 am

Yakiv wrote:I began searching the forums on this and found this thread already in place, on the topic. So, I will express my disappointment a bit here. OpenCart advertises itself as having SEO friendly URL's. ...Some of the URL's are SEO friendly and a whole lot are not. ...So, what is wrong? I do have it turned on and I have my .htaccess in place. ...Has anyone gotten this to work properly? ...My vanilla installation is all in English, so nothing should be causing an issue there. ...I am concerned about when I begin to test Cyrillic, but the English needs to be working first.
you may want to search the forums some more. All this has been addressed numerous times. The creator of open cart doesn't feel it's necessary to rewrite all the urls. There are a couple of threads that discuss how to modify things to rewrite pretty much everything.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 am
Location - FL US

Post by Yakiv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:56 am

Could you be so kind as to point me to specific threads? The problem is that there are dozens and dozens of pages of results for certain topics. It would be good if a lot of this was put on the Wiki, maybe?:

http://wiki.opencart.com/index.php?search=SEO&go=Go

Your response was a bit snotty.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:31 pm

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:44 am

this thread probably has the most info on changing things.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... act#p32117

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 am
Location - FL US

Post by Yakiv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks ;)

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:31 pm

Post by David_Fraiser » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:38 am

Xsecrets wrote:this thread probably has the most info on changing things.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... act#p32117
To anyone else searching for an answer to this, the information contained in the above mentioned post does not work in v1.4.8b...at least not in my experience. /system/engine/url.php does not exist. This "url class" was http://www.opencart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9118 removed.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:29 pm

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:50 am

David_Fraiser wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:this thread probably has the most info on changing things.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... act#p32117
To anyone else searching for an answer to this, the information contained in the above mentioned post does not work in v1.4.8b...at least not in my experience. /system/engine/url.php does not exist. This "url class" was http://www.opencart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9118 removed.
yes the url class was removed, but the post I linked there doesn't use the url class to do the magic it changes the seo files directly and manually adds things into the db neither of which need the url class. There was another easier way which did use the url class, but I specifically did not link that post.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:51 am
Location - FL US
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests