Post by karlpers » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi All,

First of all, thank you for removing the special character issue in 1.5. Now, letters like åäö are showing up correctly in e-mails.

I guess this could be useful for a lot of users, and possibly a popular item in the extension area if someone would spend some some time to develop an improved newsletter area and add the following features:

PATCH: SYSTEM > MAIL
- No attached images in the mail, as it looks like spam (They are stored on the server so I don't really get the reason why they are attached in each e-mail)
- Possibility to see the amount of receiver after choosing a specific group, e.g. when picking "All Newsletter Subscribers", the amount of receivers would show up

PATCH: SYSTEM > MAIL ARCHIVE
- Possibility to see a list of previous mail sent from the newsletter function (Auto-mail such as order confirm excluded)
- Possibility to see a report of each mail sent, pretty simple though, but statistics like numbers of mail opened and bounced e-mails.

SENT OUT E-MAILS
- Possibility to preview the newsletter in browser

CATALOG
- A module to subscribe/Unsubscribe without open an account (Maybe this part is already available though)

What do you all think, would this extension be interesting? I know this could be archived by integrate to 3rd party applications, but a guess developers building stores for clients would prefer a build in, but simple newsletter function.

Any idea you skilled people how much time this would take? I guess a better newsletter area would be pretty popular even at a price of ~$100..

Post by JAY6390 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:36 am

The reason the images are added as attachments is because a lot of email clients require a user to click a "show images" button if they are remote images/server stored

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by ncdad2four » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:59 pm

I have an extension that I just posted to the extension page which does a lot of this already. Adding in the ability for some of the other stuff you are looking for would not be very difficult.

1) Option for images to be attached to email or stored on your server (defaults to stored on the server)
2) After you successfully send the email, it pops up a success message which includes the number of recipients the email was sent to
3) No archive currently, although it could be added later
4) Working on a preview in browser before sending function. Will be available soon
5) I believe there is a module out there for this already. If I am wrong, let me know and I could write something. But one of my customers uses a newsletter module and I don't believe you need to be a registered customer to register for the newsletter.

ncdad2four