Post by baris22 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:07 am

Hi everybody?

Will it be too hard to make seo urls?

Thanks

Post by Nahuel » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:31 am

This has been talked, basically this isn't a urgent task.

Maybe anyone can make a contribution.

Post by maddog986 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:55 pm

SEO for a shopping cart should be top on the things to do.

A cart is worthless if no one can find it.

Post by phpuk » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:00 pm

If you require it now you will need to use OpenCart zero as I believe there is an addon to do what you want.

Global Moderator

Post by Qphoria » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:12 pm

phpuk wrote:If you require it now you will need to use OpenCart zero as I believe there is an addon to do what you want.
It's actually built into the core already

Administrator

Post by Nahuel » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:17 am

Is there any chance to do an addon?

Post by mydesignbytes » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:05 pm

maddog986 wrote:SEO for a shopping cart should be top on the things to do.

Many SEO features have been added to Opencart, probably more then ever. What you are referring to is pretty urls. They're called that because that's all they are. Google, Yahoo, MSN, they all index dynamic links. The need for mod rewrite was big about five years ago, but search engines have since gotten smarter and this is now more of a cosmetic issue then anything.

You may want to look into this: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/search ... ndly-urls/
Apache way of giving seo urls through PATH_INFO, but you need to know your way around php, a little.

Just putting my two cents in.

Web Design and Development
http://www.MyDesignBytes.com

Location - Hayward, CA

Post by Qphoria » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:51 pm

mdb is right. All of the major search engines have no problem with normal "123.com/index.php?route=xxx" addresses. Much like viruses, there is a heightened hype and mind set for people have, but they aren't important in "finding your site" anymore

Not to say that it isn't still nice to have. It is extremely useful nowadays with browsers like Firefox and opera that show the history as you type in the address bar... if a customer wanted to go back to a product they once visited, the historical url will show the product name in the url, making it easier for them to find that product again.

Administrator

Post by maddog986 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:06 am

The querystrings still look horrible. Some sites (at least mine) relies on users posting links on other sites to our products, and with long and ugly URLs it just doesnt look professional and is harder to remember.

Also, Search Engines do give you a better listing if the querystrings are clearner, and even contain keywords. Google does this more than anyone else though. Example, If you search for a keyword, and its in a domain name, huge rank increase! If you go type in "free shopping cart" in google, you will see most, if not all, the results have "free", "shopping", or "cart" in the url somewhere. The bigger think is the Keywords.

Example (not very SEO):
youwebsite.com/product.php?path=something/bla/bla&id=4345r3

Could be much better if:
yourwebsite.com/product/4345/SKU_free_shopping_cart

If i knew php and the opencart system, i would make this addon. But since i don't, i can only bitch tell its done :D

Post by tommix » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:46 am

maddog986 wrote:SEO for a shopping cart should be top on the things to do.

it's important that page title are what you need, not URLs. now not metter seo urls or not..it's not 1990 when googe or other search engines didn't know how to crawl dynamic sites. It's important to have good page title and visitors - those 2 are the basic of good PR

Post by maddog986 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:14 am

Its also more professional to have clean urls. You dont info in them that customers dont need to see.

Post by npn2531 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:04 pm

You can rewrite the urls in the .htaccess file if you have mod-rewrite installed in your server. If your host is using apache servers, then mod-rewrite should be installed and all you need to do is google how to rewrite urls in .htaccess. It is nice to have something like widgets.com/big-blue-widgets.html show up in your google search results snippet.

But what about different keywords and descriptions for different pages? Can Opencart do that?

http://www.niora.com

Post by haileyjonathan » Thu May 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi guys, you have given different way..
It's also helpful messages..
thanks for your sharing..

web development services

Post by Daniel » Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am

seo urls is going to be int he next version.

just one question!

is it better to auto generate urls or put a field in products, categories, manufacturers, information so users can enter the url keyword?

should the urls be all in lower case?

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 am

Daniel wrote: should the urls be all in lower case?
yes

Administrator

Post by SamBertone » Sat May 23, 2009 6:06 am

Daniel wrote: is it better to auto generate urls or put a field in products, categories, manufacturers, information so users can enter the url keyword?
What about this:
User can put these words into products, categories, etc. manually BUT if he don't (keep it blank), keywords can be generated automatically :) I guess Quick.Cart works this way.

Post by jhubb » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:34 am

The best solution that I have seen IMO is to use a url key which, if entered is used in the format:

Code: Select all

http://www.example.com/category-url-key-xx/product-url-key-xxx.html
Where xx and xxx are the category and product ids respectively. If the url keys are not entered then they would be generated in lower case from the category or product names.

Another benefit of using the ID that this brings is that if an outdated or core url is accessed (e.g. the category for the product or the product name has changed) then you can 301 redirect to the correct url based on the ID of the category or product.

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:50 am

I've decided to let people use a keyword that they can enter via the product, category, manufactuer and information pages.

It won't be auto generated.

Administrator

Post by Gruessle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:41 pm

Daniel wrote:seo urls is going to be int he next version.

just one question!

is it better to auto generate urls or put a field in products, categories, manufacturers, information so users can enter the url keyword?

should the urls be all in lower case?
Lower case for sure.

About urls:
I am checking in to this because I am using magento and it drives me nuts.
I wouldn't make thinks more complicated then necessary.
Just look at Magento it takes for ever to create a page..

In place of making a blooded backend with a million config option pages. I would just create some config ini pages and add all the config options in to there.

Post by liposuctionguide » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:47 pm

It is a well-known fact nowadays that without SEO a Web site stands many chances of not being indexed by search spiders, therefore risking not being ranked high enough (or even at all) in the SERPs. The result: poor conversion rate.

This situation is quite easy to avoid by performing some "cosmetic" operations on a site. One of these operations, considered by some rather difficult and a bit time-consuming, but quite effective in the long run by others, is URL rewriting.

Liposuction Guide