Post by ifone_developer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:45 pm

We need to be able to add a sort function to the admin panel to be able to pick how the items will be displayed. Currently, items are sorted and displayed by alphabetical order ‘A-Z’ … but they need to be able to be sorted by ‘most recently added.’

Post by justinv » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:36 pm

Most recently added is one idea. What about most viewed - this is responsive to what your customers are doing on your site and probably a better way to sort. Ideally I think you'd sort with an order of relevance for search results, weighted by most viewed. And ordered by most viewed/ordered for product pages.

I've just set my default sort as most viewed and was interested to see what others thought would be the ideal sort order?

Documentation: OpenCart User Guide
Mods: Total Import PRO | CSV Import PRO | Ecom Tracking | Any Feed | Autosuggest | OpenCart CDN

Post by Qphoria » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:17 pm

You mean you want the default to be "Newest" instead of Alphabetical? Don't use your own words like "most recently added" as it is referred to as Newest in the rest of the world. I believe there are mods for this in the forum somewhere.

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by justinv » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I was using the original poster's words. I think Newest would be superior to the default of product_id which is an auto_increment value in a database with no real meaning (apart from an unfortunate relationship with Newest DESC!).

But I think that the number of times it was Viewed (as per db field viewed) would be the better of the three for the default sort.

Although, obviously Relevance would be the ideal default sort order, but that's a little trickier.

Documentation: OpenCart User Guide
Mods: Total Import PRO | CSV Import PRO | Ecom Tracking | Any Feed | Autosuggest | OpenCart CDN