Post by Jan Paul » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi, I'm new here and I really like what I see so far from OpenCart...
I'm a big CodeIgniter fan and OpenCart seems to be built on the same values.

But to get to the point...

I want to create a 1-Product Landing Page with an order form on it.

It will look like this:
Page 1 (Landing Page):
The page loads and the single product is automatically added to the cart (behind the scenes)
Order form with personal details and address is displayed
Customer submits order form

Page 2:
Order summary is displayed
Customer chooses a payment method
Customer confirms order

I'm a fairly experienced PHP programmer so I think this shouldn't be too hard to do...

But I have no experience with OpenCart yet, so I'm hoping some
experienced OpenCart developers can point me in the right direction.

How can I best do this in OpenCart? Is this easy and self explanatory to do? Or are there some important things I should know and take into account?

Post by CloudedVision » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:19 pm

It seems overkill to use a full-fledged CMS like OpenCart for one-item site. Wouldn't it be easier to code the website from scratch, rather than hack up OpenCart to fit your needs?

Theron Luhn
Web Designer and Developer
Panthr - http://www.madebypanthr.com/

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:39 pm

From a developers point of view yes, but if the OP hasn't much experience with creating websites they will struggle, and could leave massive security holes in their code :)

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:12 pm

yes, but if they don't have much experience creating websites they will never manage to do such a massive rewrite of the code that their request would require.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by JAY6390 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:20 am

Yeah I guess :)

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Jan Paul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:26 pm

Part of the reason I'm using OpenCart for this is because I like the system and want to get familiar with it. I was looking for an eCommerce solution that was built on a solid foundation/code base.. So that I can then build upon that. I'll probably make more use of OpenCart in the future, and make more mods as I build more stores.

I do have the experience to code a system from scratch. But I prefer to meddle with a system like OpenCart that has the added benefit of speeding up future eCommerce projects once you get familiar with it.

Also when I use OpenCart, the backend and the PSP integration is already taken care of. Saves me some work.

About the 1-Product mod, I've stripped the forms and fields down to the bare essentials, that was easy. What's left to do now is combine the functionality of guest_step_2 & guest_step_3 into one page, probably a bit less easy.

About adding a product to the cart automatically when I load guest_step_1... Does someone know of a good way to do this? I still have to figure this out...

The problem is, I can't make use of the necessary objects in the guest_step_1 controller file.

I want to do this:

Code: Select all

$crt = $registry->data['cart'];
$crt->add(49);
But that only works in the index.php file, not in the guest_step_1 controller file which is where I want this to happen.

Post by lvalics » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:43 am

Actually I sustain this idea.
1 page order form could be more then a good idea, because sometimes, even if I have 1000 products, I want to push one via a marketing campaign, so I want to bring the customer to my page, let him to order and later i can use other marketing tips to get back to order, but now in first phase I want to push him a product, without let him to order anything else.

Regards,
Valics Lehel

Post by gerganadimova » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:52 am

lvalics wrote:Actually I sustain this idea.
1 page order form could be more then a good idea, because sometimes, even if I have 1000 products, I want to push one via a marketing campaign, so I want to bring the customer to my page, let him to order and later i can use other marketing tips to get back to order, but now in first phase I want to push him a product, without let him to order anything else.
Exactly, this! I can see the topic is old, but your comment is new, so I decided to chime in.

Having a 1-page OpenCart template allows you to bring the focus on one product only. A sort of a promotion of the product, if you wish. In this case removing all distractions and guiding the user to checkout is the main goal. That's what landing pages do, after all. :) Quick checkout is also crucial, because you don't to lose a potential customer just at the end of the process.

With all of this in mind, we developed ProductPage. It's a 1-page OpenCart theme/extension, which is built especially for marketing purposes and does the things that you mentioned. You can try the demo here: http://j.mp/18l0029

Have a great day!

Post by lvalics » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:32 am

You just get one customer for this :-) I will post my feedback, probably I will have.

Regards,
Valics Lehel

Post by lvalics » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:48 am

I cannot test it because it will change my design of the page. I would like to have this module as a new page for specific product, not to change the theme of the site.
So for example, I choose product X, then I get an URL like this

http://www.domain.com/ppage/2/

where 2 is the product ID for example. The rest can be done from the Modules/Settings part, of course, there is pretty awesome.

So basically I do not want to kill my actual webpage, just add to it some custom product pages for special promotions.

Regards,
Valics Lehel