Post by hottiger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 am

Hi Daniel,

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the questions Sheldmandu has raised.

Cheers

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Sheldmandu » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:06 am

Yes, certainly 1 page checkouts are not one page per se, but to the user they effectively never leave the 1 page even though it might be doing AJAX calls or posting back onto itself is javascript is disabled. It still creates the impression of a shorter checkout cycle.

With the multi-shop capability I'm sure it will work just fine, but my argument is simply that it's a feature that would be used by a very small percentage of users and it significantly changes the the code and the underlying data model, which doesn't belong in a point release. There's also been some major changes in relation to generation of Urls, which once again shouldn't be made in a point release as that will for example break the changes I've been working on for SEO URLs.

That's why I'm saying I might just be better off taking 1.4.0 and not forking off per se, but just using it as the basis for building our own customized cart for our own needs. For example to us the multi-store feature is more of a pain than a gain as it's a fairly major change to the underlying data model which is what we're relying on for our integration with our backend system.

What I'm basically saying is that a stable system that doesn't change too much too often is sometimes the better thing than something that significantly changes with every release but gets lots of new features added all the time. Generally in my experience most mature projects try to get the balance between the two right. For example, Asterisk has v 1.4 and 1.6 going in parallel as there are still alot of users on 1.4 who need bug fixes, but all new development is now on 1.6.

Post by opencartexperts » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:59 am

I have some knowledge about seo and as far as my knowledge says Sheldmandu is right on his part, also as some of the most popular carts are using the same mythology for URL's e.g. magento, zen cart, etc

We should not demotivate some body because we all are here to use the open cart with its great features and to make it at the top, so people should not find a single reason of not using open cart.

I have recently built an open cart without knowing this problem and really hope to get any solution on this soon otherwise all my seo efforts will go in waste, if i change the urls later, which i am sure that i will need to.

Thank you

Post by Sheldmandu » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:12 am

With the new version it's not possible to do the rewriting easily in one place because the Url class has been removed (that's for pages other than Categories, Products, Info). For those pages you'd need to make modifications to the core regardless as it makes no sense making individual calls to the DB for each product to work out how the url should be aliased.

Post by LeeS » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:14 am

Hi

I'd like to add some support to Shelman on this thread

I've been cart testing for weeks now for 2 important projects and trying lots of systems.
Open cart looked interesting, I've installed the demo (turned off currency check as it was killing the admin) and all was looking good - until I saw the URL mess, home page - /index.php?route=common/home is NOT a good enough home url

The people in the early posts that state google indexes pages fine with dynamic URLs clearly have NO IDEA what SEO is, it's EXTREMELY important to have product names etc in URLs and therefore page names.

Opencart is almost certainly off my list of options on this basis alone (I'm looking to spend up to $1000 on either pinnacle or interspire, which both have their own issues but URLs are not one of them)

In 2010 (and long before) a cart without AUTOMATIC seo urls isn't even worth looking at

The system should, as Shelman has said, take the product name and use that as a default page URL, and also offer a field in the admin to manually add a slug. Using keywords is not acceptable as 'Eos-5D.html' is NOT what a meta keyword should be!

Real shame but this is SO important. It should be a main priority and frankly should have been from very early on.

Lee

Post by djhunlimited » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:32 am

I also support Sheldmandu. Sheldmandu has made some very valid points about the SEO of the urls. I was going to build my new site with opencart, but now I'm not impressed with the way its SEF Urls are and may look elsewhere now. If opencart would implement those ideas I think it would gain much more support.

Yes opencart rewrites the urls which is great and it helps with seo, but they are not perfect. They need an id in them and something needs to be done about the duplicate urls that are created. I have seen people say its not a big deal. I agree its not a real big deal and you will not be penalized for duplicate content. However if you want the best rank possible its still better to not have duplicate content from different urls.

For example

site/product Say this link has 100 incoming links
site/category/product Say this link has 30 incoming links
site/manufacture/product And this one has 70 Incoming links.

Which one will Google choose to index in their search listings?

Answer: The first one site/product that has 100 links.

Now if opencart created 1 single url for each product that one url would now have 200 incoming links instead of just 100. It will now most likely rank higher in Google's Index because you have doubled your incoming links to the url and you will gain better positions in the search engine index. By having multiple urls that lead to the same content you are loosing ranking power by dividing it up amongst all duplicate pages.

Don't know about everyone else but I'd rather have 200 links pointing at a single url than having 200 links spread out amongst 3 urls of the same product.

Post by mfive » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:58 am

Sorry to ressurect such an old post - but has any of this stuff been addressed?

Shelmandu is entirely correct, and it's discouraging to see that he's being flamed after such a respectful post about the importance of what needs to be addressed. He clearly cares about this product enough to bring up his issues, why not cut him some slack?

I've been on the hunt for a new cart. I've been using this Avactis (http://www.avactis.com) crap and the long and short of it is that it's a great cart that's VERY easy to implement, but if you need to modified the core code you're completely S.O.L. It's such a complete mess, with code and files cluttered everywhere, and to make matters even worse there is ZERO documentation on what's going on (which I can't seem to find for opencart either. I would say that I fall into the intermediate or advanced (but not expert) PHP developer. I know more than enough to get around and make changes, and from what I've seen in opencart, so far it looks pretty legit and organized.

Maybe this should be in a new post, but are those of you with issues still using opencart? Have you moved on or thought about anything else? If so, what cart(s)? I was looking forward to seeing if opencart could fit my needs, but this post has really scared me!

It's too bad that the owner (I guess it's Daniel?) popped on to post twice but never once addressed the concerns his supporters are raising. Is that typical?

Post by LeeS » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:13 am

I have no desire to point people away from Opencart here, please let me please make that clear

Personally, after weeks (months really) of trying lots of cart solutions I settled on CS-Cart

The template system is complex, and the layout, although workable, is fairly rigid without deep knowledge of smarty perhaps.

But the admin system is superb, powerful, so far very comprehensive and I have yet to find any insurmountable problems

After all my hunting I'm now on my 3rd or 4th CSCart site build and I personally run one of them (http://www.blaupunktdirect.co.uk/), so I'm using it in a real world environment and any issues that have come up have been fixable so far

I wish opencart the best of luck and would look at it again but the SEO has to be resolved asap! I again don't want to steer people away from open cart, but anyone going through the hassle and stress I have to find a workable cart system might find this useful

Lee

Post by mfive » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 am

@Lees - thanks for the tip. I will certainly look into CS Cart. I'll say upfront I'm not a fan of templating languages like Smarty (isn't that what PHP was designed for?), but I'm open to all options that will make my life easier.

So are the people(persons) that are reponsible for building this cart not acknowledging the issues that were raised in this thread? Why isn't opencart on google code or some other manner for allowing others to access and modify the code without having to fork... Seems like that would be the best way to create a well-rounded cart by many different developers... Anyone agree?

Post by Chones » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:42 am

This is not really being addressed because there is really no problem. Shelmandu may be right about the backend, that it could be improved if you've got thousands of products, but the front end is VERY search engine friendly. I thought there may be a problem when I first started using it but I've since realised there's not.

If you activate SEO URLs and give every product and category etc an SEO keyword, all your page URLs will be search engine friendly. Also, you will have no duplicate content because Opencart uses rel=canonical to stop this.

I know - I have products in the top 2 or 3 on Google. Trust me - everything is fine with Opencart's URLs.

http://scarletandjones.com/
http://sharpdressedman.co.uk/
http://coffincompany.co.uk/
http://horsesculptures.co.uk/
If I've helped you out, why not buy me a beer? http://craigmurray.me.uk

Location - London

Post by peteVA » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:35 am

mfive wrote: I've been on the hunt for a new cart. I've been using this Avactis (http://www.avactis.com) crap and the long and short of it is that it's a great cart that's VERY easy to implement, but if you need to modified the core code you're completely S.O.L. It's such a complete mess, with code and files cluttered everywhere, and to make matters even worse there is ZERO documentation on what's going on (which I can't seem to find for opencart either. I would say that I fall into the intermediate or advanced (but not expert) PHP developer. I know more than enough to get around and make changes, and from what I've seen in opencart, so far it looks pretty legit and organized.
Yes, I gave up on a nearly complete avactis cart to move to OC, mostly due to stupid stuff, but also several truly important things to me.

BTW, things that CS-Cart also did not offer when I looked several months ago.

Main one - mix or match pricing or being able to combine all items in a category or sub-category for a common discount. This is simply plain vanilla with B&M stores, there is not a week goes by the newspaper ads aren't full of stuff like $1.29 each - 10 for $10!

Also nowhere near as good with shipping set-up.

Have to start over with Options for every item, have 44 of the basically same thing, with the exact same options, you have to enter them 44 times.

And just stupid stuff like having to enter From and To when entering quantity discounts. Well, if you had one at 6 and the next step at 10, obviously 9 would be the "to" for 6.

Also with Options, when you go to enter a new line you have to backspace to clear the old starting number. All sorts of time-wasters that add up when entering hundreds of items.

Only thing I miss is having ALT tags for the images, one more SEO feature. Other than that, good riddance.

No, take that back. They do have a different email for different phases of the order process and a specific field for payment authorization number. Really easier when sending out "shipped and here's your tracking number" messages.

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!

Post by anilrmg » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 pm

hi i am new to OC

i am trying to change /index.php?route=common/home to static like index.php/home