Post by fido-x » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:46 pm

Why do some developers find it necessary to create duplicates of already available contributions.
Examples:
  • Blog/News by Seth Syberg
    Featured Products by Readyman
    Featured Products by Vovan
    Banners by Nicudica
    (Proposed) PDF Invoicing by Nicudica
I've had a News package (which could be used a blog) available since version 0.7.9. A Featured Products module has also been available as part of the Homepage Package since version 0.7.9. Banners and PDF Invoicing were introduced at version 1.3.2.

A simple search of the forum would find what modular contributions are already available. They may not necessarily be at the contributions site, but they are still available!

I'm not accusing anyone of plagiarising any code, but what about the concept?

If you're going to make a contribution, how about choosing something that hasn't already been done?

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:48 pm

well until a mod is in the contributions page I could see someone duplicating it. For whatever reason some people just hate the search button on the forums. Plus some people may be used to most other open source projects where almost all free mods are on the main projects contribution page.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by fido-x » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:14 pm

I used to upload them to contributions (once upon a time), but after seeing them downloaded close to 3,000 times and not a single cent in donations, I thought "stuff it" and made them available from my own site only, in the hope that people might make a donation while they were there. A further 2,000 downloads from my own site (plus the continuing downloads from contributions) and still no donations! It's only been the last month or so that I've actually started receiving any, and that was as a result of posting a complaint about it!

It's not easy when it's your only source of income. If it wasn't for one person, who has been paying me by way of donations for some quite extensive modifications to a 1.3.2 setup, my site would have gone offline about 3 months ago!

Many thanks to those that have made donations, they are muchly appreciated!

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:36 pm

fido-x wrote:I used to upload them to contributions (once upon a time), but after seeing them downloaded close to 3,000 times and not a single cent in donations, I thought "stuff it" and made them available from my own site only, in the hope that people might make a donation while they were there. A further 2,000 downloads from my own site (plus the continuing downloads from contributions) and still no donations! It's only been the last month or so that I've actually started receiving any, and that was as a result of posting a complaint about it!

It's not easy when it's your only source of income. If it wasn't for one person, who has been paying me by way of donations for some quite extensive modifications to a 1.3.2 setup, my site would have gone offline about 3 months ago!

Many thanks to those that have made donations, they are muchly appreciated!
If you are managing to make a living off of donations you are very lucky. I wouldn't think even daniel could make it on donations alone. You need to more aggressively advertise services for custom modification of sites that's where you'll make your money. If you get several people like the one you mentioned who are willing to pay reasonable money for quality custom modification work you're golden.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by fido-x » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:14 am

Xsecrets wrote:If you are managing to make a living off of donations you are very lucky. ...
I didn't mean I was making a living from donations, I'm merely surviving.
You need to more aggressively advertise services for custom modification of sites that's where you'll make your money. If you get several people like the one you mentioned who are willing to pay reasonable money for quality custom modification work you're golden.
You're right there! I am available to do custom modifications, if anyone's interested. ;D

Multistore Extensions

Expert Member

Post by i2Paq » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:45 am

I find the contribution section unclear and a sort of unusable.

But I'm used to the osCommerce contribution site.

I hope that who-ever manage the contribution site will be able to give it a more structure in the very near future.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by moggiex » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:20 am

Agreed.

The contributions section is a bit unwieldy, it could really do with a tidy up. I didn't see the point in there being 3 of the same contributions one after the other and the way in which they are ordered is very confusing, from old to new, when most new peeps are working on newer versions. Not even mentioning finding the ones that actually work with 1.3.3 and above, since the templating system shifted... Its just crying out for someone to reorganise it!

'fido-x', I agree, there needs to be a list of 'verified' consultants. From browsing this forum, there is only four obvious ones, yourself, obviously Daniel, the chap from alreadymade.com and Q. Further additions would need to go through some sort of proving criteria, as for each of the persons above, you've already delivered a number of modules and themes, thus proving your experience to the 'community' on you ability to alter, bend, design and deploy OpenCart.

Matt

Code: Select all

It was like that when I found it, honest!

Post by SuperJuice » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:47 am

What does it matter if contributions are duplicates? developers can write and offer what they want, it's the nature of opensource software.

It also gives end users an opportunity to pick and choose which mods they prefer, and keeps developers on their toes with competitive features etc.

I don't see in any way how it is detrimental. Sure you might need to look through a few mods initially.. I think that definitely beats being locked in to a single contribution of each type because one developer got there first.

Trying to 'regulate' or 'certify' mods to a boys club.. is just working against the benefit that is given to the community by people that just want to write the odd module off hand. It's sounding like you guys want to set up a protection racket to stop people cutting into your profits. If you want to make the most money, offer the most compelling value for that money.

Post by seths » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 am

Part of the problem might be the lack of search functionality on the contributions page. Before creating my blog module I tried to do a search for an existing one and it just doesn't work...

Post by i2Paq » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 am

I'm atm. setting up a directory where it will be easy to find contributions and add-ons found here on the Contribution section, on these forums and on commercial sites.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by montanaflynn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:43 am

The contributions section could use quite an overhaul. Things like better searching in categories. Also new naming conventions would be great, other doesn't cut it. Some pointers could also be taken from MooTools new Forge Section.