Post by ddwalker1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:24 am

Ok. What is the general rule of thumb for installing modules? I see a couple of modules I'd like to try but they consist of a single file with no instructions. I'd like to try to install the ups modules, but I have no idea what to do with file. Could someone provide me with a short primer on what to do?

Thank you.

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:34 am

if you see a single file it is called a "zip" file. Probably the 3rd most important file type to know next to txt and jpg.

zip files are like packages of files, compressed into a box. The first step is to open the box by double clicking on it and seeing the files inside. Then extract those files to a folder for using them. There you will find things like readme.txt files that explain how to continue.

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by ddwalker1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:40 am

thanks, but these files are single PHP files without instructions. take a look at this link to the contributions area:

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... ion_id=331

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:42 am

eh.. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Shipping modules take at least 6 files to work.
As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.
If you are looking for working products with support I offer almost 100 modules at the link in my sig. Including UPS CGI and XML versions

Administrator

Post by ddwalker1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:44 am

does the ups and fedex shipping module work well? I have to turn the site over to clients and would prefer not to become the middle man for future problems.

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:45 am

all my modules are guaranteed and come with free upgrades to future versions.

Administrator

Post by ddwalker1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:18 am

what about tracking number information for ups and fedex?

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:05 am

At this time, I only offer live rates. I am working on a "suite" for UPS, FEDEX, and USPS to allow integration not only with rates but also from the admin end to allow label printing and tracking integration in the future.

Administrator

Post by ddwalker1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:03 am

Qphoria wrote:At this time, I only offer live rates. I am working on a "suite" for UPS, FEDEX, and USPS to allow integration not only with rates but also from the admin end to allow label printing and tracking integration in the future.
I purchased the modules yesterday so that I can enhance a site I"m working on. Though the client isn't ready to implement oc just yet. Will you know if the new updates could be obtained at no cost to previous purchasers of the mods?

Post by Qphoria » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:19 pm

rates is only 1 quarter of the abilities of the suite, so it will likely be prorated for those upgrading.

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Are these help, support forums for advertising Q's modules?

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:08 am

I'm only answering questions that were asked

Administrator

Post by gunset » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:45 pm

so back to topics.. How can I install a module?

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:36 pm

read the included readme files. If it doesn't have a readme... then its anyone's guess.

Administrator

Post by cmebd » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 am

Q wrote:
read the included readme files. If it doesn't have a readme... then its anyone's guess.
Yes it is difficult if there is no help in the module download. Going to individual module builders websites is helpful because they tend to outline what is included.

What would be useful, I believe, is a link or download for the installation instruction to be included in the Contributions page so that one can see what files are affected and the installation process before downloading the module.

My2c worth

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by OSWorX » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:51 am

Nice thread!
Either one is targeting to his 'commercial' products or he/another is saying: take the modules as they are - on your own risk.

But, why the h... can OC not having an installer (like other systems still have)?

As some of the 'contributions' are dangerous to install (for the novice), if OC would have an installer discussions like this would become obsolete!
And 3PD developers MUST follow the OC system!
Which would lead to more satisfied customers - and an unified 'extension' installation (system) inside OC.

Now nearly every module is a 'hack' and requieres some knowledge about implementing.
Not really a nice system.

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Qphoria » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:14 am

Welcome to OpenCart. Glad you have all the answers.

Here's a few answers of my own:
OpenCart is only 1 yr old.
OpenCart has only 1 core developer.
A Package installer is currently being discussed in a few threads.
Rome was not built in a day.

Administrator

Post by cmrukcom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:38 am

Qphoria said:
At this time, I only offer live rates. I am working on a "suite" for UPS, FEDEX, and USPS to allow integration not only with rates but also from the admin end to allow label printing and tracking integration in the future.
Is this available yet - and if not any idea of ETA ?

Thanks

Post by Qphoria » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Well I have to redo FedEx. They have a completely new API now using WSDL. I have it working but I have to integrate it with OpenCart. This will make it work with more 3rd worlds and countries without postcode without giving the "Unknown Error" like the current FedEx does.

After that, I will probably look into UPS first for the other stuff.

Administrator

Post by cmrukcom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Re - Package Tracking.

I recently managed to get the OScommerce tracking module to run on CREloaded and it works nicely to allow many different courier services to be tracked alongside one another - if anyone is going to put effort into offering multiple couriers then it would be sensible to offer this within a standardised open source framework (like the tracking module in OS commerce) so that others can offer specific courier submodules.

There is another approach which is to use an intermediate service like that offered by http://www.simpletracking.com/ - this offers USPS, DHL and Fedex all potentially accessible through a single API (though I've not personally looked to see if their webservice can eb linked to.)

After significant time spent hacking with OSC and CRE I would be keen to seen a better architected platform, such as OpenCart appears to be on first inspection, to define the next generation of cart platforms.

Perhaps a bit more than 2 cents.

Kurt