Post by ogun » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for vQmod debugging, or common vQmod 'gotcha's?

I'm looking at a problem at the moment that is either downright esoteric or staring me in the face (more likely the latter) - but as yet haven't cracked it. A file is not being parsed, despite another file in the same mod being parsed without issue (and nothing in the log).

This is a stripped down version that recreates the issue (library/document.php is parsed but library/cart.php is not):

Code: Select all

<modification>

<id>TEST</id>
	<version>1.0</version>
	<vqmver>2.1.7</vqmver>
	<author>TEST</author>

<file name="system/library/document.php">
        <operation>
            <search position="before"><![CDATA[private $title;]]></search>
            <add><![CDATA[// test]]></add>
        </operation>
	</file>

<file name="system/library/cart.php">
        <operation>
            <search position="before"><![CDATA[private $config;]]></search>
            <add><![CDATA[// test]]></add>
        </operation>
	</file>

</modification>
Tried it with a few other files in the same folder (system/library), some are parsed and some are not - and I can't find a common property to explain why. Have tried checking line endings (all unix-style) and encoding (all utf8 without bom) and uninstalled every other mod - and moved on to getting more information from vQmod about what might be happening.

Unfortunately, I'm running on a remote server rather than something I can easily plug into the debugger on my IDE - so back to my question - Does anyone have any tips/tricks for vQmod debugging, or common vQMod 'gotcha's?

Post by MarketInSG » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:42 pm

the best way is to check on the error logs. see what's there. Next, check that your index.php has vqmod modifications applied there

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by ogun » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:40 am

There's nothing in the error log (that I haven't deliberately added myself), other vQmods work without issue and I don't have a vqprotect.txt. I also tried making a mod with deliberate errors just to make sure that VQMod would catch them and it did - which is what's making me think it's a problem with the files rather than vQmod itself (or its configuration).

I tried changing vQmod to add extra output (var_dumping the objects) to the log to make sure it was doing something, but that hasn't yielded any useful results yet. The output from VQMod::_parseMods for the first file in the example is the same as it is for the second, likewise in applyMod and VQModObject::_parseMods.

Post by ogun » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Restarted the server for an unrelated job and suddenly it works perfectly again ::)