Post by Tiger1937 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi,

I'm new to OpenCart, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area.

I'd like to know if it's possible, with OpenCart, to create configurable products, for example a PC, where the main components are listed eg Disk Drive of different sizes and can be selected priced to build a final product.

Can it be done ? Do i need a special Module/template ?

Thanks in Advance....Tiger 1937 >:D

Post by Qphoria » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:03 pm

OpenCart comes with Product Options as part of the cart.
Here is an example of a live PC shop

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by Tiger1937 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 pm

That's great, but what I'd really like is to be ableto put a qty against each of the component items... :)

Post by Qphoria » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:15 am

The cart system currently doesn't support multiple quantities per option

Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones

Administrator

Post by cscooper2000 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:37 am

It's been over a year since the original post. But rather than start a new thread on the same subject, I'll add my voice to this request. Has this functionality been added to OpenCart? One of my customers needs to be able to track pricing and SKU differences between her widgets. The customer hits the product page for the Western Widget. Then the customer begins customizing the Western Widget. Options are a wire length, material, weight capacity (and about 12 or more other variables).

The base SKU is WW (for Western Widget). The SKU modifier would be something like:

-02ME16OZ - That's the 16oz. bearing, MEtal Western Widget with a 2" lead wire.
-05ME32OZ - Of course, a 32oz. bearing, metal version with a 5" lead wire.
-05PL32OZ - Also, able to bear 32oz. of weight and with a 5" lead wire, but this one is made of PLastic.

Those are the SKU modifiers, so the complete SKU is WW-02ME16OZ (of which she has 3 in-stock) and WW-05ME32OZ (of which she has 12 in-stock). These variations, of course, have different costs associated with them, but they are the same product (not appropriate to have 100 individual product pages for one product).

I'm amazed how many shopping cart apps DON'T have such basic functionality. Think of all of the parts and manufacturing clients to whom your shopping cart is simply not usable.

PS. The SKU and the pricing should be updated via Javascript (or AJAX, at least) to reflect the options the customer has configured along the way (as you can see happens in x-cart, or with the "Better Configurable Products" plugin for Magento).