Post by exactweb » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 pm

If you have ever tried to re-design the default theme with CSS alone you will most likely have found that you need to duplicate a lot of template files to style the most basic elements.

Where as if the default theme was more like http://www.csszengarden.com/ example where you have a lot more control over styling using CSS alone with all the extra class names. This would means that you don't have to duplicating a .tpl just to add a simple class name so that you can style the section of page.

Also the checkout page is terrible with all the

Code: Select all

<br />
In the default theme there are 288 br in 40 files.

Post by Johnathan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't think the default theme is that bad...I just did a theme entirely in CSS, and found it wasn't that difficult to style elements, even those that didn't have specific id's or class names.

That being said, I'm always in favor of improving the HTML and CSS of the default theme, so I wouldn't mind if it was cleaned up some more.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by GoGo OpenCart » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:23 pm

Johnathan wrote:I don't think the default theme is that bad...I just did a theme entirely in CSS, and found it wasn't that difficult to style elements, even those that didn't have specific id's or class names.

That being said, I'm always in favor of improving the HTML and CSS of the default theme, so I wouldn't mind if it was cleaned up some more.
Couldn't agree more :) I always advice my customers to stick with the default theme, because with a little bit of imagination, and knowing what to do, mainly in the .css file, and a little bit in the core files, the default theme can end up being extremely beautiful. And the best part is that there's almost 100% chance that all the modules will work as supposed, because all those are made with a reference to the default theme's code.

Thumbs up for the default theme ;)

See all my extensions: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... 20OpenCart

Post by Jeremy Fisk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:00 pm

GoGo OpenCart wrote:
Johnathan wrote:I don't think the default theme is that bad...I just did a theme entirely in CSS, and found it wasn't that difficult to style elements, even those that didn't have specific id's or class names.

Couldn't agree more :) I always advice my customers to stick with the default theme, because with a little bit of imagination, and knowing what to do, mainly in the .css file, and a little bit in the core files, the default theme can end up being extremely beautiful. And the best part is that there's almost 100% chance that all the modules will work as supposed, because all those are made with a reference to the default theme's code.

Thumbs up for the default theme ;)
Another great thing about the default theme is it looks a whole lot better than the all the other carts avaliable...

:D good old opencart <3

If i have helped... please click here to donate

Bookstore Mod
QuickShop Module
Restricted Access - Compulsory Login
Template Override - Category Specific (vQmod)
Template Override - Brand Specific (vQmod)
How did you find out about us register question mod
Compulsory Login vQmod
Brands In Top Menu
zoom - Product Image - Auto on hover

Location - New Zealand (Tokomaru, Palmerston North)