Post by nodric » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:44 am

When a customer has navigated product categories to end up with a filtered list of possible product choices, the next thing he would logically do is click on the product itself to view the detail etc. Is there an easy way to add some text and/or a link that appears under or next to each product that says 'click for more detail' ?

I know it seems obvious to us to click the product, but some of our customers are so IT illiterate this is far from clear, and they need a prompt to click on the product to see more information, and buying options etc. Some of out categories are design to filter down to a single choice, and I want to then tell the customer to click the product to see more detail before they add to cart.

It must of course display in both list and grid view.

Thanks

Nodric
Last edited by nodric on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Best 4x4xfar

Post by nodric » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 am

Anyone, someone?

:( :o ;D :choke:

The Best 4x4xfar

Post by sander76 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Yes,

this would be certainly be possible. Find the following near line 140 in /catalog/view/theme/default/template/product/category.tpl:

Code: Select all

html += '<div class="name">' + $(element).find('.name').html() + '</div>';
html += '<div class="description">' + $(element).find('.description').html() + '</div>';
Just under these lines you can add a new line. I can't help you on how to create the link.

Post by nodric » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Just to update and say I had this written for me as a VQMod by Doug at Opencart World and he did a sterling job, and turned this round overnight for a reasonable fee.

Accomplished with a single xml file, and works exactly as I asked for. You can see it in action here Example of More Detail Button

It may seem unnecessary to us web savvy folk, but to those who find buying online a challenge, and a lot of our customers do, having a prompt to say "click the damn product to see more about it and review the purchase options" is a very useful feature. i.e. They navigate through the categories and find a filtered list of possible parts, then they need to be told click on them to know more.

As IT folk we often forget about the users of the tools we create, and even my own staff had to be prompted to click on the products to see more info.

Anyway, if you find yourself needing the same feature, Doug now has a VQMod for sale that'll do the job ;)

The Best 4x4xfar

Post by sborder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:39 am

I've looked for this mod and couldn't find it. Any suggestions?
I really need this.

Thanks
Steve