Post by mrskattya » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:50 am

How do I delete/disable the store's telephone number from the 'contact' page (under information module). Or is there a way to disable it from Admin>Config>Settings so that it is NOT a required field, hence the red asterisk ( * )
Thanks!

Post by iloveopencart » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 am

Not sure why you wouldn't want to have a phone number for customer to call if there's a problem, but the easiest way to do it is open admin/controller/setting/setting.php, and down around lines 408 to 410, look for this code:

if ((strlen(utf8_decode($this->request->post['config_telephone'])) < 3) || (strlen(utf8_decode($this->request->post['config_telephone'])) > 32)) {
$this->error['telephone'] = $this->language->get('error_telephone');
}

Change the < 3 to < 0 and you can then leave it blank in admin. This is a quick and dirty way to do it :-\ .

Global Moderator

Location - Phoenix, AZ

Post by mrskattya » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:50 am

You came through once again!!! Don't get me wrong, but the last thing I want is for my phone to ring all day long... If there is a question/issue it can be resolved via email, not to say I don't want to communicate verbally, but I prefer to be in the driver's seat ;-)
Thanks!!

Post by gavin m » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Just keep in mind that in some countries it's a legal requirement to provide a phone number on your site. Not sure where you are, so you may be OK though,

Post by CUSTOM_UK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 am

A lot of us purposefully remove the contact phone numbers from our sites for a whole variety of legitimate reasons.

The primary one being so we don't get plagued by nuisance sale calls that tie up our time. Surprisingly some of us do have better things to do, than keep telling inconsiderate sales muppets not to ring. >:D

Also with international time differences, some folks don't seem to appreciate that businesses do not man their phones 24/7. I doubt if some of the smaller businesses want their phones ringing in the early hours.

Post by rph » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 pm

A phone number is a selling tool. On our old website I purposely moved the toll-free phone number from the contact page to prominent placement by our company's logo and we received a solid increase in sales.

Most customers don't even use it. It's just something that helps establish you as a legitimate business in people's minds. In my experience the customers who just need a little prodding to close the sale are far more common than nuisance calls anyway.

Plus I wouldn't worry about time zones too much. Most people aren't going to make an international call on a whim, not with the extra dialing codes and cost. I handle the international orders at my work and correspondence is overwhelmingly done by email and fax.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by CUSTOM_UK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:49 pm

My own preference is via email. That way everything is down in 'writing' then, so there is no opportunity for confusion, or misunderstandings afterwards. I do get the odd email asking me to phone a potential customer (usually on a mobile number) as they want to enquire about a particular product. I only ever respond to those via email though as nine times out of ten, the question they want answering already appears in the item description that they haven't bothered to read. The most popular one being that they want to pay by cheque, even though it states in several places on our sites that we don't accept cheque payments. ::)

Post by sizzlingscience » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:07 pm

In the UK it is a legal requirement to show a contact phone number.

I use the FREE http://www.switchboardfree.co.uk/ to forward my calls to a time that suits me. You can set your opening hours to suit you, outwith these times customers can leave a voicemail which is sent to you by email. It also lets you set up a "whisper" on the number, so that when it rings you know it is your business number before you answer it. I suppose you could have it set to always closed and just receive the voicemails if you didn't want to be distrubed by the phone ringing. Very useful if you are using your home number for business too.

Melanie.

Post by CUSTOM_UK » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:00 pm

sizzlingscience wrote:In the UK it is a legal requirement to show a contact phone number.
Actually that is incorrect. The electronic commerce directive states that customers must have a means of contacting you and there must be a reference to the geographical location of the business, within the web site. A web contact form, or access to an email address fully complies with the first part of that requirement.

Post by sizzlingscience » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:33 am

The distance selling regulations state you must display a contact telephone number.

Post by CUSTOM_UK » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:56 am

You must believe whatever you wish to believe, but I run my businesses on fact, not assumption.

All of our sites and operations are based on based on information received from legal representatives and the local chamber of commerce advisory service.

Some of us really have better things to do with our time, than answering the phones to pond life making unsolicited sales calls to our business.

Post by rph » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:50 pm

CUSTOM_UK wrote:My own preference is via email. That way everything is down in 'writing' then, so there is no opportunity for confusion, or misunderstandings afterwards. I do get the odd email asking me to phone a potential customer (usually on a mobile number) as they want to enquire about a particular product. I only ever respond to those via email though as nine times out of ten, the question they want answering already appears in the item description that they haven't bothered to read.
I think you're making a mistake by viewing the phone as a liability rather than a valuable asset for your business but to each their own.

I find when people keep failing to read posted information - even when I've freakin' bolded it - it's time for a page redesign to better highlight it.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by SmallWalrus » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:36 am

The issue at hand is it is our own right to flout whatever trading laws in our respective countries as we see fit, and it is not up to Opencart to enforce laws.

Thank you for trying.

What's next? Toyotas that automatically drive within legal speed limits based on your GPS coordinates?

Post by rph » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:56 am

I've never heard anyone call being in non-compliance with the law a right (whatever that may or may not be in this case). I doubt that's even the purpose; OpenCart enforces all kinds of other things like SKU, name and email lengths which aren't laws anywhere.

At the end of the day OpenCart is fully customizable open source software so you can do whatever you want with it. No one's forced to do anything.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member