Post by john121park121 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:58 am

Hi guys,

I want to mess about with the layout of a new design but don't want to mess with the files in the default folder. I have followed the instructions to create a new css file and header.tpl. When editing the header I had to change 'defualt' to NnewThemeName'. When I look in the footer.tpl file in the defaut folder there are no options to change. The same goes for home.tpl etc.

How do I change/copy and modify these files without changing the ones in the default folder.

Cheers.

Post by Gaelen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:14 am

make a copy of the whole default theme folder and rename it

rename it to whatever you want and you will have all the files needed.

once you modify the files you can set the theme to your new theme in the system>settings>(whichever store you're changing)

Post by john121park121 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I read on the official opencart documentation

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... path=43_44

and this says NEVER copy and rename the entire default folder due to problems upgrading.

Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to the proper way to do it?

Post by Gaelen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:40 am

that is why i made the copy and deleted all the files that i didnt need. Same IDEA as the instructions but i found it easier my way.

Post by afliktion » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 am

I am going to explain this with the thought you already have the template/theme installed.

Open your cPanel and go into file manager.
Open the following:
puplic_html
ocart
admin
view
template
Then edit the footer.tpl as you like.
Remember, you must leave both the link for the theme author intact, and you must leave the Powered By Opencart link intact.
To make a custom one, just create a border and/or table and add what you want in it.
I wouldn't just rewrite any full files as that may be a copyright violation to the author. If that's what you want to do get permission just to be safe.

Hope this helps.