Post by zszalbot » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:13 pm

Hello,

I am using the default template and just start experimenting with OpenCart, version 1.4.9.1. I must say I really love its simplicity. However, there is one thing I am not sure how to do. There are cases where I need to hide the right column and extend the width of the middle column so that it takes up the space up to the right margin of the site. This is because I have some flash presentations which are wider than the maximum width of the middle column.

My question is how I can widen the middle column so that it takes up the space normally used by right column? Is it possible without hacking the code? In general I want the right coulmn to be displayed but for certain pages I would prefer to have the middle & right columns merged so that wider content can be displayed.

Thank you very much in advance!

Zbigniew Szalbot
Last edited by i2Paq on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved

Post by kedgetech » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 pm

(
zszalbot wrote:My question is how I can widen the middle column so that it takes up the space normally used by right column? Is it possible without hacking the code? In general I want the right coulmn to be displayed but for certain pages I would prefer to have the middle & right columns merged so that wider content can be displayed.
Its possible but not with out changing any files. You might need to turn off all the modules on the right and change the stylesheet to extend the middle column towards right. I would not think of this as a hack. There is a small alignment issue that was noticed in some cases.

You can view implementation at http://www.ehop.com.au

Location - USA, Australia, India

Post by imaginetech » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:49 pm

You could do it by using some client side JavaScript or jquery. Something like:-

$.('#column_right').hide();
$.('#content').addClass('YOURNEWSTYLE');

Making sure that the new style is defined in your stylesheet and will override width settings etc of the default stylesheet class.

I know it's JavaScript and some people will say well what about visitors with JavaScript disabled? But considering the cart relies on JavaScript being enabled to function that's a barely valid argument.

www.opencartstore.com
Get OpenCart Templates and OpenCart Modules.

Location - Darwin, Australia