Post by musicofthehart » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:20 am

I love the layout, functionality and customizability of opencart and thought it would be perfect for my project, but I am not using it to sell things. I am trying to redesign it for something different. I am almost done with my customization, but have ran into a problem that is beyond my meager skills.

I am trying to remove a few items that are not needed from the admin area where you insert a new product. Since I am not selling anything, I do not need the fields for price, cost, tax class etc.... I tried to just remove the entries from the template, and that appears to work, but when I insert a new product I receive errors in regards to the fields that I deleted from the template. Do i need to remove them from the MySQL database too? Thanks in advance for any help.

I will be releasing this customization as soon as I am have it perfect. Or as close as I can get it to perfect.

Post by musicofthehart » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:29 am

anyone have any ideas? or is this more of a project that I thought? I know very little about code, but I thought this would be easy.

Post by musicofthehart » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:04 am

I just wanted say to thanks all of the helpful people on this forum, especially the admins. I have asked several questions on this board, and usually received prompt helpful answers. I have however asked a few questions and received nothing. I was slightly disappointed. So I carried on, and searched and searched and learned a few things and figured it out for myself. While it sucked... big time, I fixed my problems, and in the end I felt a greater satisfaction having fixed these issues on my own, as simple as they turned out to be.

So I wanted to thank you guys for answering the questions that I couldn't have possibly figured out on my own, and for not coming into a thread, and making fun of me for not knowing some simple bit of code. Instead letting me figure it out on my own.

Like this thread here.

P.S. This is not sarcasm
Last edited by musicofthehart on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Karen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:43 am

Hi music,

Yes, I've found this board to be surprisingly lenient on newcomers with (really & truly) STUPID questions, which yours was not.

You can help other people if in your latest post your tell us HOW you fixed it, so people after you might find the answer.

My only contrib to this issue is what I've done in my own admin. In my case, though, it wasn't so much fields I didn't need, as that I wanted all the ones I needed immediately accessible. I did find, however, like you that removing some fields just doesn't work.

The file you want to edit is admin/view/template/catalog/category_form.tpl (to change the category display) or product_form.tpl (for the product entry display). It does require reading the file to figure out which tabs and fields are where, but you can move the fields you don't care about to tabs you don't care about, and ignore them altogether.

In your case, I imagine you also had to set some fields automatically to 0...a whole 'nother can of worms entirely.

Using OC version 1.4.8b
http://catandcaboodle.com/

Location - WA State, USA

Post by musicofthehart » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:48 am

Actually I just liberally used a whole lot of

<div style="display:none;">"code I want hidden" </div>

It might not be the best way to do things but it worked.

Now I am working on removing things from the settings in "setting.tpl" but when I hide items it changes the whole page layout. Ill post that fix when I figure it out too.