Post by scanreg » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:48 pm

from what i understand about responsive templates, if you tweak anything, you can break it, especially when rendering for smart phones, etc

for example, what if i wanted to add a third-party banner extension and display in various locations, header, sidebar, footer

would this kind of thing break the site?

in other words, any third-party extension would have to be "designed" into the template we want to use, am i right? thus making it harder to plug in third-party extensions?

thanks

Post by butte » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:47 am

There is an elevated chance of mismatch, but you would just try and see what happens. A banner that simply substitutes for what you can already do in OC might well not pose a problem. For example, once % widths are controlled the elements that are widened for the screen viewed will, without their own conflicting widths, follow. You can break anything by tweaking it, but if you tweak something very carefully you can avoid breaking it.

Guru Member

Post by nosecret » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:46 am

I think that is not true. For extension like payment or shipping where no need view, that is still work. But, to module which need view, you must adapt div class in order to work with your theme.

Post by butte » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:47 am

Extensions ordinarily read core files' blocks of code for matches that trigger substituting new blocks of code. If your theme stays in the theme tree, then it will not change model/ or controller/ core files, and will have minimal effect upon extensions. if your theme slops over into directories other than the theme tree, then an extension will be increasingly likely to need to read your theme's core files for code blocks to replace. .

Guru Member