Post by Joe1234 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:51 am

What is the best app out there to REDUCE the size of an image (I make sure I emphasize reduce because some apps algorithms will increase better than reduce and vice versa)? I currently use Corel PaintShop 2022 and don't like the quality. Just curious of what, if any, others are using. Yes I know reducing the MP will reduce the size, but the camera I'm using I'm on the lowest setting, so let's just assume using a different camera is not an option for now. So what is the best app out there for the best edges and the least amount of degradation in image?

Thanks.

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1
I'm here for a reason, if your response is contact a/the developer, just don't reply.

Post by mikeinterserv » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:59 pm

irfanview - is free and can do batch processing and has lots of useful plugins.
Search google for it.

Location - Wales

Post by rjcalifornia » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:54 am

Joe1234 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:51 am
What is the best app out there to REDUCE the size of an image (I make sure I emphasize reduce because some apps algorithms will increase better than reduce and vice versa)? I currently use Corel PaintShop 2022 and don't like the quality. Just curious of what, if any, others are using. Yes I know reducing the MP will reduce the size, but the camera I'm using I'm on the lowest setting, so let's just assume using a different camera is not an option for now. So what is the best app out there for the best edges and the least amount of degradation in image?

Thanks.
For OpenCart products, specially when clients provide some high res pictures, I usually resize images with GIMP. Some image editors tend to lose quality on resizing.

A2 Hosting features: Shared Turbo Boost, Managed Warp 1, Unmanaged Hyper 1, and Warp 2 Turbo

Location - Worldwide

Post by mikeinterserv » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:38 am

thekrotek wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:23 pm
Not related to OpenCart at all.
Well it can be - OC requires images to be processed to use on the site no ?

Location - Wales

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:22 pm

rjcalifornia wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:54 am
I usually resize images with GIMP. Some image editors tend to lose quality on resizing.
Another vote for GIMP but https://pixlr.com/ is also rather good.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by by mona » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:15 pm

This is all arbitrary.
if your uploaded images do not have the same dimensions as stated in your admin settings, OC will resize those images itself and store them in the image cache.
Those are the images that are served. So whatever software you use for resizing before that, it might not matter.
As with any image resizing, whether via an image software or PHP, the image will blur simply because of the resizing itself and needs sharpening afterwards.

If you do not want OC to resize your images but serve them as-is, you need to upload them in the exact dimensions.
I do not know how many images you have per product and how many different dimensions you define in OC for each.
But doing those manually....good luck.

In OC it is better to add a sharpening process after the resizing of the image as default OC does not do that, you can add an imageconvolution function for that in your image library class.

But this all depends on how important the image quality is for your selling, if you sell mobile phones, nobody cares about the image quality (within reason) but if you sell photographs or paintings, that is a different matter.

Depending on the reason you want to do it there are solutions but you have not specified whether it is quality, detail or file size that is your goal.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by Joe1234 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:46 pm

Thanks, GIMP seems to have edges a bit smoother...not as good as I want, but still an improvement.

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1
I'm here for a reason, if your response is contact a/the developer, just don't reply.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:07 am

Another vote for GIMP. I will also add Preview if you're on a Mac. It's quick to batch select files in Finder and then open and resize them in Preview.

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by rjcalifornia » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:03 pm

EvolveWebHosting wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:07 am
Another vote for GIMP. I will also add Preview if you're on a Mac. It's quick to batch select files in Finder and then open and resize them in Preview.
I've used Preview for resizing. For some quick resizing of a screen capture is ok, but for pictures of products I would suggest another tool.

A2 Hosting features: Shared Turbo Boost, Managed Warp 1, Unmanaged Hyper 1, and Warp 2 Turbo

Location - Worldwide