Post by Cold Storage » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:18 am

OC ver 3.0.3.6
Theme: Default X-Theme
(Additional) Installed Extensions: Disable Add To Cart When Out Of Stock, Inventory report menu, MailChimp Integration, Out of Stock, Sanekdev Payment Icons, [underr] Sort By Newest
(Additional) Installed Translation(s): None
Other: Using Cloudflare

After succesfully receiving orders all day, and making NO changes to my site, I started getting emails last night from customers that they were unable to select a postage option from the pop up window, and they were unable to log in. On trying myself here is what I discovered:
  • When attempting login as a user from front end, if password is correct I press the button and nothing happens. (If I use wrong password I get wrong password error message.) If I clear cache on my web browser it does not resolve the issue.
  • When attempting login as admin, if password is correct I press the button and nothing happens. (If I use wrong password I get wrong password error message.) If I clear cache on my web browser this resolved the issue temporarily and I can log in, but after a bit of time I will get automatically logged out and have to clear cache again before I can log in.
  • When attempting to select a postage option, nothing happens.
I searched online and found a known issue w/ OC 3.0.3.7 about changing the time back to UTC in order to fix this bug but as you can see I am not on that version.

My error logs on my host show no errors. My error log in my admin panel shows an error which, if im reading it correctly, has something to do with pulling the postage from USPS. Below is an example. Sorry if this is not the preferred formatting.

<Package ID="1"> <Service>ALL</Service> <ZipOrigination>94954</ZipOrigination> <ZipDestination>32507</ZipDestination> <Pounds>3</Pounds> <Ounces>0</Ounces> <Container>VARIABLE</Container> <Size>REGULAR</Size> <Width>16</Width> <Length>12</Length> <Height>2</Height> <Girth>48</Girth> <Machinable>false</Machinable> </Package></RateV4Request>
2022-01-13 15:58:54 - USPS DATA RECV: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<RateV4Response><Package ID="1"><ZipOrigination>94954</ZipOrigination><ZipDestination>32507</ZipDestination><Pounds>3</Pounds><Ounces>0</Ounces><Machinable>FALSE</Machinable><Zone>8</Zone><Postage CLASSID="3"><MailService>Priority Mail Express 1-Day</MailService><Rate>63.50</Rate></Postage><Postage CLASSID="2"><MailService>Priority Mail Express 1-Day Hold For Pickup</MailService><Rate>63.50</Rate></Postage><Postage CLASSID="1"><MailService>Priority Mail 2-Day</MailService><Rate>21.20</Rate></Postage><Postage CLASSID="4"><MailService>USPS Retail Ground</MailService><Rate>17.90</Rate></Postage><Postage CLASSID="6"><MailService>Media Mail Parcel</MailService><Rate>4.45</Rate></Postage><Postage CLASSID="7"><MailService>Library Mail Parcel</MailService><Rate>4.23</Rate></Postage></Package></RateV4Response>

Any guidance is extremely appreciated.
Last edited by Cold Storage on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by khnaz35 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:10 am

Try to disable cloud flare first and then clear all your cache and test the website. I am guessing that the issue might be coming from cloud flare.

Urgent Questions shoot here: khnaz35@gmail.com
Enjoy nature ;) :) :-*

Location - Malaysia

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:14 am

If clearing the cache allows you to login, it could be a cache control issue. Using your web browser's developer tool, Network tab may show more information. You can also try the disable cache option.

viewtopic.php?f=202&t=206449l#p786660

Also try disabling Cloudflare.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Cold Storage » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:43 am

Thank you both for your input!

I turned off cloudflare and it did not resolve the issue. Now when turning it on I can no longer log in to my admin panel, even with my cache trick. Yikes! Wish I had not taken it out of maintenance mode since I cant turn it back on now. Nuts.

I always struggle with this when asking for help but, if this is an issue that I need to hire someone to fix instead of consulting the forum just let me know and ill pack up and head to the commercial side. I dont want to commit a faux pas here.

Post by by mona » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:20 am

1 : Do you have a back up of your site?
Check with your host

2 : NEVER do anything major to your site without a back up. It must be a complete restore back up of all files and database - again speak to your host
Check they do one for you, check how you would go about restoring - no it is not necessary to do that right now it is a back up - it is an emergency feature

3 : Your issue may simply be caching : browser / site / server - again speak to your host

Once you have done that maybe if you ask nicely ADD Creative or khnaz may have a look for you, you can try to PM them. But YOU MUST DO THE ABOVE 3 STEPS FIRST - BACK UP - BACK UP - BACK UP

Otherwise yes the commercial section is a good place to go right now ..
Good luck with your site I wish you well.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by Cold Storage » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:44 am

Thanks for your response.

I have what I believe to be a restorable backup. I just follow the instructions given to me by my host I have never had to use it.

I tried to talk to customer support but found myself ill equipped to answer their questions. They told me they could see nothing wrong and then did a cache refresh at the server level (hope this is right terminology). Strangely, after this, i was able to login to the admin panel but I still cant log in to a customer account.

I put a line out to a developer who had offered to assist me before. If they cannot help, I will make a formal posting in the commercial side.

Regardless, I will update the thread with my findings and hopefully quickly! Cant have the cash turned off for too long in my business.

Post by by mona » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 am

It is not strange at all - your host is your server - your server is an integral part of your website - clearly they are caching
So look up what caching is on google but basically it is a photograph of a position in time so that it does not have to physically get the actual information.
So when you want now information you are still seeing the photograph.
Dynamic sites must be cached properly unlike say wordpress - because your cart for example must be live data

So this is what ADD Creative has said above
Have you done this - you need to check this whether it solves the issue or not.
Maybe you can take a copy of the original file before you do it so that just in case you make mistake you have the original copy to copy and paste from.

The other simple point here is that since you have not had any issues before and you have not done anything within say the last week (caching) it is reasonable to assume that maybe your host has? Will they tell you? depends on your host ..

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by Cold Storage » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 am

I stared at the computer screen all day waiting for some thread to pull on and then found a ROPE to pull on instead.

My Admin page said I was on 3.0.3.8 even though I had sworn I was on 3.0.3.6. Turns out that I used a program called "installtron" (yes, mentioned in the other thread today) that had a feature turned on to automatically install updates.

I want to get to 3.0.3.8 but not like this. Since Installtron does a full backup before doing its autoupdates I just installed the backup and im back in business.

Thanks to all for helping hand. I learned something for sure. Keep my embarrassing story in mind next time someone else says they did nothing and it just broke! They might be installtron victims too! =)

Post by khnaz35 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:51 am

Glad your issue is resolved with the backup files. :)

I agree keeping item or software upto date is good thing but NOT when it comes to OC. Most of the time the latest version of the OC is still under development and have always some issues and that is because OC is community/Free project and team doesn't have enough resources to make test of every single code before publish the final versions.

That is also one of the reason OC versions exist in format of i.e 3.0.X.X

Urgent Questions shoot here: khnaz35@gmail.com
Enjoy nature ;) :) :-*

Location - Malaysia