Post by cautiousjonny » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:02 am

This is a serious problem! I have not been able to find a working solution for us (using OC3) anywhere. I believe that required phone number and address fields are highly detrimental to e-commerce registrations and conversions. Our site sells digital products and we don't want to be intrusive with user inquiry, especially when such information is of no use to us. We would greatly appreciate any advice or direction, as we have carefully searched through the relevant forums and had no luck.

Post by straightlight » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:19 am

cautiousjonny wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:02 am
This is a serious problem! I have not been able to find a working solution for us (using OC3) anywhere. I believe that required phone number and address fields are highly detrimental to e-commerce registrations and conversions. Our site sells digital products and we don't want to be intrusive with user inquiry, especially when such information is of no use to us. We would greatly appreciate any advice or direction, as we have carefully searched through the relevant forums and had no luck.
I couldn't agree more on that, you are absolutely correct; not posting your full OC version is indeed a serious problem. As for the detrimental vision one forsees, regardless of the product type or category being sold to customers, payment service providers do still require those fields to be sent to their payment services electronically. Nothing to do with Opencart out-of-the-box. However, you could always look for an extension on the Marketplace for an extension that may suit your needs about it. If not, you could always create a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum to get this done as a custom job.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:12 pm

cautiousjonny wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:02 am
I have not been able to find a working solution for us (using OC3) anywhere.
If you can't find an extension, you could pay a developer such as ourselves or post a job in the Commercial Support Forum.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Pamella » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:12 am

I don't know if this is the best way ;) but you could try to remove the following condition (controller file)

Code: Select all

if ((utf8_strlen($this->request->post['telephone']) < 3) || (utf8_strlen($this->request->post['telephone']) > 32)) {
			$this->error['telephone'] = $this->language->get('error_telephone');
		}

OC 3.0.3.7 EN (default theme) running on PHP 7.3 MariaDB 10.3 Linux / Apache 2.4

Post by straightlight » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 am

Pamella wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:12 am
I don't know if this is the best way ;) but you could try to remove the following condition (controller file)

Code: Select all

if ((utf8_strlen($this->request->post['telephone']) < 3) || (utf8_strlen($this->request->post['telephone']) > 32)) {
			$this->error['telephone'] = $this->language->get('error_telephone');
		}
It's not.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Pamella » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 pm

We should not removing this validation check?

In fact ;) followed this "outdated" Qphoria's tutorial (OpenCart 1.5)
viewtopic.php?f=139&t=46467

OC 3.0.3.7 EN (default theme) running on PHP 7.3 MariaDB 10.3 Linux / Apache 2.4

Post by straightlight » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Pamella wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 pm
We should not removing this validation check?

In fact ;) followed this "outdated" Qphoria's tutorial (OpenCart 1.5)
viewtopic.php?f=139&t=46467
That tutorial is for the registration step and checkout. However, checkout validations regarding customer's personal data should not be removed since GDPR / CCRA. These steps were provided before the new laws enforcement were publicized. Which is why, old postings regarding customer profiles should not be used.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON