Post by Jaesin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:08 am

My site was terribly slow on page loads.
Checking the forum I found an old thread where someone recommended deleting the file "checked.cache" from the VQMOD folder.
I gave it a shot and my site is blazing fast again...
Can someone explain the file or let me know if this is a common issue?
Now the part everyone hates... Yes I am using Journal 3 as my theme.....boo, hiss...
My Opencart version is 3.0.20
My site is on a VPS.

Thanks for any help...

Post by OSWorX » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:49 pm

Jaesin wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:08 am
Basically VQMod is not needed anymore with OpenCart 3.
Every and each VQMod could be converted to a OCMod to work without the overhead of VQMod.

This file is basically to see if a file is modified and if it already exists.
But as it seems, it has a bug which let this file grow and grow and ..
And therefore the site is getting slower and slower and ..

Read this here: https://github.com/vqmod/vqmod/pull/152

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by opencartmart » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:35 pm

Jaesin wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:08 am
This cache file is used to track the list of files not to apply modifications. As a result, when the number of files grows as you install new extensions, it becomes a giant and makes the site slow. This is a very common issue of vqmod.

So it is better not to use vqmod and of course, OCMod is more performant than vqmod

XForm - Opencart Form Builder
Xshippingpro - An advanced Shipping Module
Need Professional support? Skype: opencartmart

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:42 pm

Or you could use the Integrated VQmod which works like OCmod, except that it also supports the VQmod XML syntax, too.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Johnathan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:18 pm

To avoid scaring others that read this topic, I want to point out that vQmod is typically just fine to install. The checked.cache file becoming huge is not a common issue, though it does happen sometimes (usually if you have a ton of mods installed).

I've seen hundreds --- if not thousands --- of installations that use vQmod with no speed impact. Typically it only becomes an issue if someone is installing dozens of vQmod extensions, and even then, it depends on your server. Clearing the checked.cache file manually is something to keep in mind if you're having issues, but it doesn't need to be done for most stores.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Jaesin » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:57 am

Great input guys, thank you so much for the clarification on this.
I had a single xml mod in that file that had been converted to OCMod a while ago. I have removed it to see if any further concrn happens. Will watch to see if the cache file grows any....
When I had deleted the cache file it had been 70 megabytes....lol

Post by OSWorX » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:45 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:18 pm
To avoid scaring others that read this topic, I want to point out that vQmod is typically just fine to install. The checked.cache file becoming huge is not a common issue, though it does happen sometimes (usually if you have a ton of mods installed).
And to clarify further, I have 1 client with only 2 VQMods installed (by himself some times ago) - 6 modifications only (touched 4 files).
To mention also, the storage folder was moved outside the public folders (as suggested since the start of OpenCart 3.0.x by the system).
And the file had a size of over 300 MB after a few weeks with that constellation!
Of course the shop was slowly like a snail (needed more than 10 seconds to load).
Deleted the checked.cache file (and all other related also) and the shop loaded again in 0.8 seconds.

As Jonathan said, this may happen on some servers, not all.
And it will happen if the storage folder is moved outside the public folders.
That's why I have posted the link to the github vqmod repo which solves that bug.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by opencartmart » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:00 am

Johnathan wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:18 pm
I've seen hundreds --- if not thousands --- of installations that use vQmod with no speed impact. Typically it only becomes an issue if someone is installing dozens of vQmod extensions, and even then, it depends on your server. Clearing the checked.cache file manually is something to keep in mind if you're having issues, but it doesn't need to be done for most stores.
The interesting thing is that it could happen even if I don't have any vqmod extensions installed regardless of the server. In fact, it happens every time if it met the following conditions:
1. storage folder is located outside of document root
2. The store has some ocmod modified files.

XForm - Opencart Form Builder
Xshippingpro - An advanced Shipping Module
Need Professional support? Skype: opencartmart

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:25 pm

More info about the checked.cache issue here.

I would agree with Johnathan and others that vQmod is still fine to use.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Jaesin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:56 pm

I guess my current question is what value is there to keeping vqmod in play? I no longer have any mods that utilize it as far as I know, does it have another functional purpose?

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:02 pm

Jaesin wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:56 pm
I guess my current question is what value is there to keeping vqmod in play? I no longer have any mods that utilize it as far as I know, does it have another functional purpose?
No. If no mods use it then you can remove.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by letxobnav » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:21 am

The interesting thing is that it could happen even if I don't have any vqmod extensions installed regardless of the server. In fact, it happens every time if it met the following conditions:
1. storage folder is located outside of document root
2. The store has some ocmod modified files.
what still remains unanswered...why?

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan