Post by frankpmjr » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 am

Hello,
I have been working with OpenCart for a while and just came across some issues with the URLs. I have been tasked with working with an SEO consultant and she has given me a report with multiple broken links and a ton (like thousands) of canonicalized links. I have been going through the documentation and found it lacking in the way of links. My links look like this sitename.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=22_40&product_id=489. I think this may be causing the issue, is there a way to create links that are more like sitename.com/category/productname (the actual name of the product that is unique)? I haven't seen anything that suggests I can change that structure, but I see other sites that show urls with something along those lines, so what am I missing and where can I get a look at it? Thanks.

Frank

Post by straightlight » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am

While the OC version has not been posted, there are countless SEO extensions that can be searched and downloaded from the Marketplace.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by frankpmjr » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:48 am

Version 3.0.2.0
I see the dazzling array of extensions I can buy, but I am also searching for knowledge. Anywhere I can find how OpenCart constructs the URLs would be helpful. Thanks.

Post by straightlight » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 am

The core uses the system/library/url.php file to rewrite the URLs. However, each extensions from the Marketplace provides their own ways of manipulating URLs into more compliant ways.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by cedcommerceteam » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 pm

frankpmjr wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 am
Hello,
I have been working with OpenCart for a while and just came across some issues with the URLs. I have been tasked with working with an SEO consultant and she has given me a report with multiple broken links and a ton (like thousands) of canonicalized links. I have been going through the documentation and found it lacking in the way of links. My links look like this sitename.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=22_40&product_id=489. I think this may be causing the issue, is there a way to create links that are more like sitename.com/category/productname (the actual name of the product that is unique)? I haven't seen anything that suggests I can change that structure, but I see other sites that show urls with something along those lines, so what am I missing and where can I get a look at it? Thanks.

Frank
Hello,
To activate the OpenCart 3 SEO URLs, please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Activate the SEO URLs
1) Log in to your OpenCart admin panel > Navigate to System > Settings and click Edit button
2) Select Server tab, select Yes in Use SEO URL's option and Save the changes.

Step 2: Configure your OpenCart 3 .htaccess File
1) Connect to your server via FTP using any FTP manager to rename the .htaccess.txt file. The .htaccess.txt file is included in the default OpenCart 3 package.
2) Find .htaccess.txt file in your OpenCart root folder and rename it to .htaccess
3) Do not remove the dot "." before the name of the file, but only the ".txt" extension of the file.
4) If your OpenCart 3 store is installed in the web root folder, you will need to edit the RewriteBase like in the .htaccess file. Please open the .htaccess file and edit it by using any code/text editor and locate the following code line:
RewriteBase /
5) In case your store is under the root of your domain name (http://yourdomain.com/opencart), you do not need to change this line. However, if your OpenCart 3 is installed under a subfolder (http://yourdomain.com/opencart/store/) you will need to change the line to:
RewriteBase /store/
6) Once it finished, don't forget to save the file and make sure it is properly uploaded under the root of your OpenCart 3 web directory.

Call us at : (+91) -8765210318 , Skype: live:carlmorgan.cedcommerce , Email: support@cedcommerce.com
CedCommerece : Officail Opencart Partners
CedCommerce Official : www.cedcommerce.com
Opencart Services : www.cedcommerce/opencart-services.com
Sell On various Marketplace Integration : Opencart-Extensions
Magenative Mobile App/IOS Development : magenative.com

Post by letxobnav » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:01 pm

an SEO consultant
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Having to explain to your grandchildren what you did for a living...

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by straightlight » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:36 pm

@cedcommerceteam: Added in FAQ. Thank you.

However, step 2.1 should also implicit the suggestion to use the host file manager's console rather than only FTP.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON