Post by trueliar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:57 pm

Hello,

I noticed that in OC 3.0.3.2, github repo and previous versions, there are h2 instead of h1 in (pages) the following template files:
product/category.twig (seems to be important)
product/manufacturer_info.twig
product/special.twig
account/account.twig (not very important)
account/login.twig (not very important)

maybe I could be wrong but, at least in category.twig, it would be better to have the default them with an "h1".

Can, please, someone shed some lights on "why" it's preferred an h2 in those cases?

Thank you

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 pm

trueliar wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:57 pm
Can, please, someone shed some lights on "why" it's preferred an h2 in those cases?
Because you should only have 1 <h1> and it is already used for the store name:

It might be better to use the <h1> for the category title instead but I am not an SEO expert.

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom

Post by letxobnav » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm

but I am not an SEO expert
nobody is.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Location - Taiwan

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:16 pm

letxobnav wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:06 pm
nobody is.
I think if you google "seo company" the comany at the top is :laugh:

Expert Member

Post by letxobnav » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:52 pm

No, that is the company who pays Google the most for those keywords.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Location - Taiwan

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:08 pm

letxobnav wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:52 pm
No, that is the company who pays Google the most for those keywords.
Ignoring results marked "Ad" of course.

Expert Member

Post by trueliar » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:35 am

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:23 pm
trueliar wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:57 pm
Because you should only have 1 <h1> and it is already used for the store name:

It might be better to use the <h1> for the category title instead but I am not an SEO expert.
I'm referring only to the template files listed in my post that have an h2 and, in my opinion, they should be modified with an h1.

With your screenshot you are referring to the "logo" (h1) in header.twig (in your case for the home) that uses the "store name", and it's also a non efficient use of the h1 since it propagates to the whole site without a related content (if not repeating the brand name).
The first (let's call it) "logo h1" in header.twig is misleading even if google understands that is not mainly related to the whole content in the page.
It would be better to have the h1 added in the home via the "html content" extension, or any other method (ex. in home.twig, but it wouldn't be very handy for the common user/admin), with the html block, for simplicty (and aesthetic motivations) just after the slideshow or something similar.
The best practice for the h1 (in SEO) would be to (preferably) have just one of them for each section/"part of the page" while opencart have a mix of h1+h1 or h1+h2 that are for the very same content of the whole page. The first (logo) header has no "section" and anyway it's repeating itself without a great value for most cases (websites).

Even if we can suppose that, for example, google can understand which h1 is really representing most part of the content in the page (in opencart theme the second h1, and in the case of the h2 for the twig files that I cited in the post, it's better to follow the best practices to avoid confusion and lack of optimization.

I just asked an explanation to understand why the situation in opencart is like that (h1+h2 for something and h1+h1 for the rest), supposing (I hope) that there could be a different better SEO methodology that I don't know.
I personally prefer to change those tags (no h1 for the logo, all the h2 changed to h1 in the template files that I listed in the post) in my templates, and it seems that I get (slightly) better results.