Post by pietnlindy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi all,
I'm running 3.0.3.2 and just went to Google PageSpeed

Code: Select all

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
to check my site perfomace.
Imaging my dissapointment when I only scored 67 out of 100

This is what it said were main issues (All but one was on my domain)

Eliminate render-blocking resources 2.29s

Resources are blocking the first paint of your page. Consider delivering critical JS/CSS inline and deferring all non-critical JS/styles.

/catalog/view/javascript/jquery/jquery-2.1.1.min.js 29 KB 1,080 ms
/catalog/view/javascript/bootstrap/css/bootstrap.min.css 18 KB 1,080 ms
/catalog/view/javascript/bootstrap/js/bootstrap.min.js 10 KB 780 ms
/catalog/view/javascript/font-awesome/css/font-awesome.min.css 7 KB 630 ms
https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family ... 0i,300,700 1 KB 780 ms

to just name a few

Just ignoring these!!!!!
Last edited by pietnlindy on Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by letxobnav » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:20 pm

you can't.

well, you can put everything on async but then your website stops working properly.

All that "insights" does is evaluate which js/css has to be loaded before your page starts rendering and identifies those as "potentials" for optimization.
It does not analyse whether those NEED to be loaded before page rendering to make your site work properly.

So "insights" does not say "you have a problem here, fix it", it says, "maybe you want to have a look at these...".

so if you have javascript that YOU determine does not need to be loaded immediately like "go to top" etc. then you can experiment with putting an async parameter on those files so they do not hold up page rendering.

But like I said, "insights" lists ALL potentials and you do not want to blindly adjust them, certainly not bootstrap and jquery stuff.

The same goes for GTmetrix and all those other webpage performance analysis tools out there.

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Location - Taiwan

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:44 pm

you can't.
Sure you can, I published some Postings on this here during the past Years. But better
forget the ASYNC way of doing such, it only keeps some Scripts from working as they
should. It's a combination of COMBINED + COMPRESSED Styles, Scripts + OC Source,
and if done right, you'll get at least near to, what's shown on the image below. Just don't
try, to check the Link shown on the Google Test Site, it won't work, since I locked out an IP
Number by .htaccess, required to make the Google Tester work.

Good Luck, and better don't ask me for the Solution, but check my Postings on such.
Ernie
---

Attachments

opencart_performance_improvements.jpg

opencart_performance_improvements.jpg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 230 times

I'm rarely still active at the OC Forum. To reach me, contact: jti@jacob.ch
A Demoversion of my free OpenCart LIGHT v.1.5.6.5 Software Edition
can be seen in real Action here: http://www.jti.li/shop/
---
1'000+ FREE OC Extension-Repositories - from OC v.1.5.x up,
on the world's largest OC-related Github Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
---

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by letxobnav » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:20 pm

that has a bearing on request reduction, not page rendering.

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”

Location - Taiwan

Post by by mona » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Opencart is developed to be customised

There are many things that effect your page score.

The short answer to your question is yes you can do things to get a high score : Compress all images, compress and combine javascript and css, CDN, server and do MOST of the things listed there, including defer and inline (should you want to do that) - but not all - some will stop the site functioning.

The simple answer is - keep speed in mind with slow themes and slow functionality of extensions
If you have a young customer base, speed is significantly more important - they have much lower tolerance

The long answer is very long - completely depends on the customisation of your specific site
Slowly and patiently follow all the steps suggested, there is so much information on google as to how.
What is important is to keep checking your site still functions correctly
You can buy lots of options in the marketplace to do this for you - my personal view - the cheaper ones are not worth the money.
For the best results, (other than doing it yourself), when you finish your site, you can post a job on the commercial section, designed to your specific site, environment and functionality.

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:16 am

@letxobnav:
OK then, another Test with a few more Requests, and by use of the Merkent
Bootstrap Theme, known to be a little more efficient, when it comes to build
Pages. So, it cannot be compared exactly, because by use of Peku's OC-2 type
Bootstrap Theme, the Yslow Rating drops 1 Percentage Point, compared with
this one.
Ernie
PS: Not all Product images are different, some exist in multiple Products. I use 1K
sample images, random-selected by Isenselabs fine automatic ProductsGenerator.
And this has some impact on the total-requests Number shown, just to mention it.
---

Attachments

bigmax_compare_50_100_products.jpg

bigmax_compare_50_100_products.jpg (73.02 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Last edited by IP_CAM on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

---
---

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by thekrotek » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:25 am

I'll just add another point of vew: don't pay too much attention to Google PageSpeed or Console warnings, recommendations and such. My site shows 18 in PasgeSpeed and I couldn't care less. Not because I'm stupid or something, but because I know very well, what these recommendations really worth.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:42 am

Well, that's a matter of opinion. But it's also a proven fact, that real Pro's likely cannot be
impressed by looking at a nice and clean Shop Front only, but also check, what's going on
inside of the Store, to get a better 'global' Impression on that Business, and it's seriosity
first, before possibly deciding on a future Supplier of Goods. And some of those at least,
coming to OC, are Professionals too, looking for such 'minor' things. You never know ... :D
Ernie
download/file.php?mode=view&id=37445

Attachments

thekrotek.jpg

thekrotek.jpg (82.48 KiB) Viewed 136 times

---
---

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by letxobnav » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Not saying combining external asset files is no good, it is, I also combine several js files into one, not for css as those are too cumbersome with their relative addressing. I use http/2 with asset pushing anyway which is just as fast if not faster.

I am just saying that you have to consider what these evaluation tools are saying based on how they conduct their tests.
Just consider that they also deduct point for not facilitating browser caching of THEIR OWN google analytics js files, ludicrous as the only option there is to store those locally and set your own expire settings, handy.

They only evaluate first page load, no browser caching deployed, so in that context, if you want a high score, go crazy and inline everything, including google analytics. The problem is that then no browser caching will ever take place and you lose performance when clients request additional pages.

So my point is, by all means use them but understand where their recommendations come from and do not blindly follow them.

Location - Taiwan