Post by ArtGallery » Wed May 22, 2019 7:13 pm

Before I installed the Google re-Captcha I used to get hundreds of bot account registrations per week, mostly from China and Russia. After I installed it, all bot account registration stopped with nothing at all for many months. Within the last 30 days now I am getting one or two obviously spammer account registrations per week. Clearly not real customers. They were also signing up as an affiliate but I disabled affiliates so that stopped. What I am wondering is, are there now bots that can get past the Google reCaptcha or are these registrations likely being done by a real person? So far they are all from Russia.

Post by letxobnav » Wed May 22, 2019 8:30 pm

check your logs.
always handy to write post variable contents to your logs on vital pages like login, registration, contact, etc.
do that and you would have the answers to your questions.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by thekrotek » Wed May 22, 2019 8:56 pm

ArtGallery wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:13 pm
Within the last 30 days now I am getting one or two obviously spammer account registrations per week. Clearly not real customers.
One or two registrations is nothing. They could easily be made by monkeymen - tons of them working here and there doing spam staff.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by uksitebuilder » Thu May 23, 2019 12:40 am

It is possible that Google reCaptcha is bypassed. There are various mentions of this on the web.

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by letxobnav » Thu May 23, 2019 12:52 am

There are ways around it but they are not full-proof, hit and miss and tricky to use.
As always, it is about effort vs. gain with these things.

If you make it a little difficult for spammers they tend to move on to easier targets as they have a quota to reach.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by paulfeakins » Thu May 23, 2019 6:34 pm

It will happen to all CAPTCHAS as Neural Networks, AI and Machine Learning advance, but at this point in time the CAPTCHA I wrote has proved 100% effective, and is invisible so it doesn't bother your customers:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=36312

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by ArtGallery » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:42 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess the small number is something I can live with. It is significantly better than before setting it up.