Post by Nordikota » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:23 pm

We are constantly having problems with site speed (sometimes takes >20 secs to load). Front end or admin can both be affected. This impact sales.
Does anyone have a view on good UK hosts that are optimised for OC? I can see there are a few that claim to be recommended for OC but don't want to make the mistake of moving again to another host that doesn't work well.

thanks!

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Hosting won't solve your issues, but optimization of database and SQL queries might.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by Nordikota » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:21 pm

And how do I do that?

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Nordikota wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:21 pm
And how do I do that?
See this for optimising the database:
viewtopic.php?t=39031

Consider this extension for overall speed:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=12658

Also what theme do you use? Is it Journal by any chance? Consider using a more light-weight theme.

If you're looking for hosts, we designed, built and host this site which has a lot of products and is super fast: https://www.cjbeaders.com/

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Nordikota » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. I should have said - we are running OC3.0.2.0 with Journal3. So that post doesn't work for us. If Optimised the dbase via PHPMyadmin already.

We tried Nitro on OC2.3.0.2 + Journal 2 & it caused so many issues we eventually removed it and had to completely re-installed the site. I've thought of trying again, but I don't have the time for a site rebuild if it goes wrong again :-\

And I've updated the HTACCESS file with:

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css text/javascript application/javascript
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType text/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 week"
ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 week"
</IfModule>

I still think hosting is an issue as the speed can be fast one day and awful the next. it's not our connection either.

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 pm

First of all, I'd recommend you to stay away from extensions like NitroPack and alike. They usually mess with the system quite a lot and often cause compatibility issues.

Second, if possible, replace Journal with something else. This is the heaviest and slowest theme I ever saw in all 3 frameworks I'm currently working with (OpenCart, Joomla and WordPress). I have no idea, why people keep using it.

Third, hosting provider can be the issue, of course, but usually it's all about database an queries. And no, database optimization with PHPMyAdmin has absolutely nothing to do with actual optimization. You need to add indexes to your tables and change engine to InnoDB. To speed up your queries use my Database Cache extension. If you have lots of products, you will notice the difference right away.

Expert Member

Post by Nordikota » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:42 pm

I installed your database cache. It crashed our site - both front-end and back end admin. I manually removed the files through FTP and site still down. the host is currently performing a complete restore from a backup yesterday :-\

Post by thekrotek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:40 am

Nordikota wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:42 pm
I installed your database cache. It crashed our site - both front-end and back end admin. I manually removed the files through FTP and site still down. the host is currently performing a complete restore from a backup yesterday :-\
No, it does NOT crash any sites. It works just fine. Judging from your previous posts, you simply lack an experience to manage store by yourself. I'd recommend you to hire an admin to sort out all issues. In most cases this isn't any extension's fault, that something isn't working or your site crashed, but incomplete installation/setup.

Expert Member

Post by Nordikota » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks for that. For someone that knows nothing, I seem to have been doing just fine for the last 30 years.

Post by thekrotek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Nordikota wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Thanks for that. For someone that knows nothing, I seem to have been doing just fine for the last 30 years.
If after 30 years of your experience you still think that clicking Optimize Tables in PHPMyAdmin actually optimizes your tables and has to contact hosting support to simply clean your OpenCart cache, you're NOT doing fine. Sorry for that.

Expert Member

Post by uksitebuilder » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Roughly how many products do you have in the store ?

Likewise how many categories ?

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by Nordikota » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:55 pm

@Uksitebuilder - Hi. Currently just less than 2000 products and 112 categories. It's a small store.

@thekrotek. I never professed to being an OC or MYSql expert. But I can follow instructions. If there are any.

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:18 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:39 pm
First of all, I'd recommend you to stay away from extensions like NitroPack and alike.
We have had some issues with Nitro but iSense are good at support and I wouldn't really recommend running a busy site with lots of products without a caching extension of some sort.

thekrotek wrote:
Second, if possible, replace Journal with something else. This is the heaviest and slowest theme I ever saw in all 3 frameworks I'm currently working with (OpenCart, Joomla and WordPress). I have no idea, why people keep using it.
Agreed, no offence to the Journal devs but we're not keen.

thekrotek wrote:
Third, hosting provider can be the issue, of course
It could be indeed - feel free to get in touch with us and we'll take a look at everything and see if we can pinpoint the speed issues.

For example it could even be that one of your error logs is many GB because it's getting loads of warnings added on every page request.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Nordikota wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:42 pm
I installed your database cache. It crashed our site - both front-end and back end admin.
It looks scary when the screen goes white but it could be a tiny warning or error which is trivial to fix - it really sounds like you need a freelancer or company on hand to help with more OC experience that your current host.

Guru Member

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Certainly doesn't seem like a lot of products or categories. Feel free to drop me an email and I will be happy to take a look. (see link in my signature)

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom