Post by metalsunny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 pm

Hello,
Am trying to install open cart forum on ox 3x via installer. While installing i get This error "The directory admin/controller/design is not allowed to be written to!"
I have also check permission via ftp and folder is already on 775 or so
Pls help. What is the solution

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:14 pm

metalsunny wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 pm
Am trying to install open cart forum
forum?
metalsunny wrote:
via installer
What installer? Softaculous? Or a download?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by GWShop » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:36 am

I had the same problem. Yes, there are only 2 Forum modules alive in Opencart! So most people download the "Simple Customer Forum". This is the module that has the problem:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... rum&page=1

We are trying to install a Forum in our shop. Sounds simple but it's a pain right from the beginning. I have unzipped the file and saw 2 zip files.
- Discussion-Forum-Opencart3.x.ocmod
- oc_fix_for_forum.ocmod (only 1 kb).

So the first one was supposed to install the Forum module. But the installation doesn't go through.
"The directory admin/controller/design is not allowed to be written to!"

What does that mean? Shall we login to FTP and change the permissions to the folder via CHMOD? What permissions shall we change into what folder? And shall we change them back again after finishing the installation?

And a 2nd thing. What is this OC fix for forum with 1 kb. Do we install it after installing the main forum .zip? What does it do?

The developer should put a documentation with the zip file. I doubt that anyone understands anything.
I am using 3.0.3.7

Last update on this module was on 2018. Versions 3.0.2.0 and 4.0.0.0_b.

Post by by mona » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:59 pm

It means that the module is not written to OC standards (although there are cases)
I suspect the second one is to override the OC standards - I imagine they don’t want to spend the time installing for you.
Why might be because it is free and they are too lazy to update - but it could be a requirement - who knows - I am not going to download or install something that already looks dodgy.

It is not your fault, but it is free. Free can mean a lot of things including pay me and I will fix for you !!

1. Contact the extension developer
2. Install the second one first
3. Install the first one second
4. Uninstall the second one if it is to override OC standards

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:19 am

Your error message has nothing to with folder access rights which, as you said, are already correctly set anyway. Rather, it is because OpenCart checks to make sure that new files can only be installed into certain folders.

This extension module, like unfortunately so many, doesn't follow the OpenCart standards.

It is trying to modify the admin/controller/marketplace/install.php via the install.xml OCmod script, in order to be able to install files to the folders:
admin/controller/design/
admin/model/design/
admin/view/template/design/
catalog/model/design/

This of course won't work, because the OCmod XML can only be activated via the admin's Extensions > Modifications > Refresh after the install, by then it will be too late.

For a quick workaround, do this:
1) Install the oc_fix_for_forum.ocmod.zip first
2) In the admin backend, do a Extensions > Modifications > Refresh
3) Now install the Discussion-Forum-Opencart3.x.ocmod.zip
4) In the admin backend, do a Extensions > Modifications > Refresh

For a longterm solution ask the author to fix his extension, by relocating the following files and modifying his installer accordingly:
1) Move admin/controller/design/forum.php to admin/controller/extension/forum.php
2) Move admin/language/*/design/forum.php to admin/language/*/extension/forum.php
3) Move admin/model/design/forum.php to admin/model/extension/forum.php
4) Move admin/view/template/design/forum*.twig to admin/view/template/extension/forum*.twig
5) Move catalog/model/design/forum.php to catalog/model/extension/forum.php
6) Change any files using above listed files
7) Use event handlers instead of OCmod for adding the forum links to the admin menu and frontend footer

This extension, though potentially useful, is just one example of many here for highlighting the need for a proper vetting procedure for the OpenCart marketplace. Standards are there for a reason!

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by hpwebdesign » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am

metalsunny wrote:
Hello,
Am trying to install open cart forum on ox 3x via installer. While installing i get This error "The directory admin/controller/design is not allowed to be written to!"
You might want to try this small ocmod.
This will skip out some folder restriction in OpenCart:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... load_id=56

hope this help.

HP Web Design
http://hpwebdesign.io
Opencart Extension Development | OpenCart Professional Services | OpenCart Tutorials

Location - Yogyakarta

Post by GWShop » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:40 pm

hpwebdesign wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am
metalsunny wrote:
Hello,

hope this help.
Is this safe to download?
This has 482 downloads and only 1 comment.

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:27 pm

There is no need for this, just follow this workaround. In the long run the author of the forum module extension should fix his software. Too many OpenCart extensions are just of poor quality.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:14 pm

GWShop wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:40 pm
hpwebdesign wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:10 am
metalsunny wrote:
Hello,

hope this help.
First of all: please follow advices "senior" users of this forum gives you!
Second: no need to install anything which manipulates the core system.
Third: to bring some light into that issue (which is not one!), read this: viewtopic.php?f=134&t=216425

General: it is known that many extensions are not following the OpenCart standards.
Shame that those are still available, but as long they are not fixed and monitored, we here (in the forum) can only suggest our own best practise.
At the end, if someone is not able to help himself, or the developer (who should) can or is not willing to help, a request in the common forum (maybe someone will help for free) or a request in the Commercial Forum can me made.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by GWShop » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:38 am

>> For a quick workaround, do this:
>> 1) Install the oc_fix_for_forum.ocmod.zip first

The installation stopped just right there when I tried to install the fix which was a few kilobytes.

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:09 pm

GWShop wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:38 am
>> For a quick workaround, do this:
>> 1) Install the oc_fix_for_forum.ocmod.zip first
A good example for a bad coded extension.
As the bad advice from one "Expert" to follow those bad coding only to be able to install the extension.

Solution must be:
1. don't use this extension
2. or if you need, make pressure on the developer to fix that extension by following OpenCart standards

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by GWShop » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 am

Is the developer going to fix the problem so that we actually buy a proper looking Forum for the latest version?

I am not doing any workarounds anymore.